X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Whichever forum Moderator banned kfriddile for wanting to help out a fellow [H] member with his offer of a spare Dark Hero motherboard, please consider unbanning him. He sent me the extra Dark Hero he snagged at cost. He’s legit.
Yea, the mods here are wound pretty tight. I got banned for a month because I marked a FS ad as sold. I couldn't get in touch with the buyer but he had already sent me money. It was a bad situation and they not only hurt me, a long time member, but also someone else who probably thought I took his money and ran. The ban hammer is strong here.

I'm glad he is legit, but its a bit of a tough situation to fairly moderate accounts where someone who is essentially brand new is offering to sell a $400 item like this. That's got to violate quite a few established rules?

I'm glad he is legit, but its a bit of a tough situation to fairly moderate accounts where someone who is essentially brand new is offering to sell a $400 item like this. That's got to violate quite a few established rules?
Yep, not saying the mods were unfair. The rules are in place for a reason and I get that. Just saying that in this particular case, the overabundance of caution and enforcement of the rules turned out to be unwarranted. When one mod gives him PM ability when he asked nicely and another then bans him, sort of sends mixed messages. I'm now vouching for kfriddile, so just asking nicely if he could be pardoned and they could lift his ban. Doesn't seem right that he is being punished for helping me out here. Just thought I'd ask. If a long standing [H] member can't vouch for someone else then so be it.

Yep, not saying the mods were unfair. The rules are in place for a reason and I get that. Just saying that in this particular case, the overabundance of caution and enforcement of the rules turned out to be unwarranted. When one mod gives him PM ability when he asked nicely and another then bans him, sort of sends mixed messages. I'm now vouching for kfriddile, so just asking nicely if he could be pardoned and they could lift his ban. Doesn't seem right that he is being punished for helping me out here. Just thought I'd ask. If a long standing [H] member can't vouch for someone else then so be it.
Agreed. Shit feels bad. I've been mum but we let scalpers run amok and get away with dodging tons of fees coming straight to H to sell as opposed to shit like ebay.
If he did a good deed, he should be here. That's a [H]ard core ass favor for one of our own.

Dark Hero update.
Put in a reserve for a Dark Hero at NJ Microcenter at 6:30AM yesterday. Grabbed it today. Finally, glad that's over with.

I still have an order in for one at ShopBLT as well, with an estimated in stock of 1/3/21. I could keep this order and sell it at face value to another reputable H member if they need/want it. Feel free to let me know if there's interest.

Agreed. Shit feels bad. I've been mum but we let scalpers run amok and get away with dodging tons of fees coming straight to H to sell as opposed to shit like ebay.
If he did a good deed, he should be here. That's a [H]ard core ass favor for one of our own.
It seems the mods don’t feel that way. He’s still banned.

Agreed. I got a warning for calling out a scalper on the FS forum, knew they would call it thread crapping but I don't care, not sure why they allow those people on there.

Nothing still about any tangible shipments, they've passed two or three ETAs now for my order so I'm gonna cancel mine if its not shipped by tomorrow. I'd rather take a Hero Wifi for $300 than sit around for another month wondering when BLT may or may not ship a Dark Hero.

I don't blame them for taking pre-orders, but it certainly seems like their current count of 1,100+ orders in queue is - to put it nicely - optimistic for the current supply.

Just letting everyone know that it seems in the last day or two (at least according to certain notification communities) it seems there have been more retail-priced Dark Hero boards available, from Asus themselves, Newegg, and Amazon. There may very well be more at Microcenter as well but it will be dependent on your particular local area. Up until a day or two I hardly saw any notifications for Dark Hero in stock, but now there are markedly more. Granted, they do get grabbed up quite quickly but still they do seem to at least be available. I personally acquired a Dark Hero as a holiday present , with the person who bought it for me finding it by luck at a Microcenter - asking the right person at the right time, when the single one they acquired on that day wasn't yet placed out for sale!

Hope this helps - the Dark Hero seems to be "the" board to pair with a Zen 3 (especially a high end) CPU ; I'm still trying to track down my 5950X to go with it! If anyone wants more info on some of these notification communities there is a thread in the Deals forum or feel free to send a PM!

P.S. - Thinking about getting one of those GSkill Trident Z Neo 32gb (2x 16gb) 3600mhz CAS 16 kits - is this high quality RAM that plays nice with your Dark Hero boards?

Agreed. I got a warning for calling out a scalper on the FS forum, knew they would call it thread crapping but I don't care, not sure why they allow those people on there.
I also got a warning for calling a scalper out. Kyle us really heavy handed towards me. I got a many warning, three and seven day bans this year over dumb shit. I am surprised I haven't been perma banned like Armenius yet lol.

Last edited:
I also got a warning for calling a scalper. Kyle us really heavy handed towards me. I got a many warning, three and seven day bans this year over dumb shit. I am surprised I haven't been perma banned like Armenius yet lol.
Sorry to hear that, he was a good member of this community.

Just a final update on the BLT side of things, my pre-order was pushed back to 1/9 so any orders not made in November are in limbo at this point. Best of luck to any of you all that are patient and still waiting. I'd wager if your spot in line was any later than say Dec 10th, you aren't going to get one until February at the earliest.

Still waiting for whichever forum moderator banned kfriddile for helping me snag a Dark Hero, brand new and sealed at cost here.

The sealed board just arrived via FedEx. Even the dog likes it! 👍 :D

Come on Mods, do the right thing here and unban kfriddile!

E6A5B246-A913-4678-9AF5-97AF50E2E21D.jpeg

Still waiting for whichever forum moderator banned kfriddile for helping me snag a Dark Hero, brand new and sealed at cost here.

The sealed board just arrived via FedEx. Even the dog likes it! 👍 :D

Come on Mods, do the right thing here and unban kfriddile!

View attachment 314571
Yea, he was a good dude, spoke with him over email. It's a shame the behavior towards him.

For those that was able to acquire this board, what are your first impression? Worth it?

anyone in canada able to snag one of these beauties iv looked and many done evn offer it on the page, ill gladly wait in que to have one.

I just pulled the trigger on an MSI x570 Unify over the weekend and now this comes into stock, lol. I'm debating on ordering the Dark Hero and returning the Unify. But I do like the Unify's extra NVMe slot and beefy metal heatsink. The Dark Hero does have a nice amount of USB ports in the back. I currently have an MSI mobo and it has been working well for the last 4 years. I haven't had an Asus Mobo since the old Rampage days. Decisions.....

Edit: After thinking about it for a minute, I think I will just stick with the Unify. I'll put that approx. $100 saving into another NVMe drive.

Last edited:
Newegg and B&H both raised their prices to 419. Also, Newegg now has back order instead of notify. So I placed a backorder for one. Will update this thread when it ships for people interested.

ShopBLT updated their ETA... and price.
Six bucks ain't gouging but I'ma hold the preorder anyway.

Edit: Also: Yesterday I saw ShopBLT had an Asus EKWB 3080 pre-orderable and did so yesterday at $895.46.
Today that price is $1050.60

ETA TO WAREHOUSE: 1/13/21
*Current pricing on this item is $405.97. Pricing on your order has
not been updated yet, as pricing may further change when stock
arrives.

Last edited:
Yea, Shop-bacon-lettuce-tomatoe has left a bad taste in my mouth. My pre-order was placed on November 27, 2020. They clearly have no idea when they are getting stock and arbitrarily put 7 days out on any new pre-order. When that date comes, it just gets kicked back another week or two. I'm at 1/9/21 now. And the fact they say they can't tell you where you are in line is BS. If they don't know then how do they know what order to fulfill them when stock does come in? I ordered very close to RavenX and he got his and I've been pushed back three times. So of course my email to let me know where I am in line was ignored. Super salty right now. Ask me how I really feel 😡

Yea, Shop-bacon-lettuce-tomatoe has left a bad taste in my mouth. My pre-order was placed on November 27, 2020. They clearly have no idea when they are getting stock and arbitrarily put 7 days out on any new pre-order. When that date comes, it just gets kicked back another week or two. I'm at 1/9/21 now. And the fact they say they can't tell you where you are in line is BS. If they don't know then how do they know what order to fulfill them when stock does come in? I ordered very close to RavenX and he got his and I've been pushed back three times. So of course my email to let me know where I am in line was ignored. Super salty right now. Ask me how I really feel 😡

Yeah, so how do you REALLY feel?

Because I'm in line on bac-let-tom for not only the Dark Hero, but the liquid cooled 6800 XT.
These are some big money items, so I don't want to wait forever if the best option is to just buy something else.

Yeah, so how do you REALLY feel?

Because I'm in line on bac-let-tom for not only the Dark Hero, but the liquid cooled 6800 XT.
These are some big money items, so I don't want to wait forever if the best option is to just buy something else.
It's a little tedious, but I would recommend setting up Distill in Firefox or chrome if you can. I've got rules running for Newegg, Newegg business, asus, Amazon, and B&H. Was able to get in on a Newegg pre-order today that was open for a minute or two. I think that is going to be the best way. You could do the same thing for the 6800XT.

I have a dark hero in box waiting for an 5900x question is why so many 5900X + Dark Hero combos for sale in buy and sale forum are there alot of issues , are is the board not good ?

It's the only board with that sick feature of single core and multicore boost its a killer combo. There are vids by der8auer showing this feature.

It's the only board with that sick feature of single core and multicore boost its a killer combo. There are vids by der8auer showing this feature.
I get that its why i bought the board , but how are bios releases going , i know the regular hero has had some reboot issue with zen3

I get that its why i bought the board , but how are bios releases going , i know the regular hero has had some reboot issue with zen3
Zero issues here - performance has been stellar. I've been running the latest 3101 beta firmware (which includes the very latest AGESA 1.1.9.0 microcode updates) for about a week now and it has been rock solid. This is also one of ASUS's hottest selling motherboards right now, so I am sure they are focusing their "A team" on it when it comes to resources for BIOS updates.

Last edited:
Zero issues here - performance has been stellar. I've been running the latest 3101 beta firmware for about a week now and it has been rock solid. This is also one of ASUS's hottest selling motherboards right now, so I am sure they are focusing their "A" team on it when it comes to resources for BIOS updates.
Man that is good news man was getting nervous , mind if i ask what system you came from and what's your setup cpu memory etc

Man that is good news man was getting nervous , mind if i ask what system you came from and what's your setup cpu memory etc
Came from a 4790K OCed to 4.6Ghz on an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws and a 2080Ti, everything watercooled.

My new system is laid out in my sig below. The G.Skill RAM is running at stock specs using the motherboard's "BIOS AI Overclock Tuner" setting set to "D.O.C.P. Standard" and my BIOS FLCK is set to 1800Mhz. Everything else in BIOS is pretty much just set to "Auto" save for PBO, which is Enabled.

I'm pretty happy with the overall performance: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5738634

Last edited:
Came from a 4790K OCed to 4.6Ghz on an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws and a 2080Ti, everything watercooled.

My new system is laid out in my sig below. The G.Skill RAM is running at stock specs using the motherboard's "BIOS AI Overclock Tuner" setting set to "D.O.C.P. Standard" and my BIOS FLCK is set to 1800Mhz. Everything else in BIOS is pretty much just set to "Auto" save for PBO, which is Enabled.

I'm pretty happy with the overall performance: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5738634
Super Impressive geekbench score almost doubled my 3900k system and definitely gave some blows to the 9900ks system, but to be honest I'm super happy it did , was worried the 9900ks might of pulled a little bit more in single core. im have some good custom cooling that keep my processor and gpu un 50c gaming. what temps are you seeing now with the beasty RTX 3090 , wish i could find one lol

Super Impressive geekbench score almost doubled my 3900k system and definitely gave some blows to the 9900ks system, but to be honest I'm super happy it did , was worried the 9900ks might of pulled a little bit more in single core. im have some good custom cooling that keep my processor and gpu un 50c gaming. what temps are you seeing now with the beasty RTX 3090 , wish i could find one lol

Weather has gotten a bit colder so I've cranked the heat up a bit in the Man Cave. Room temps hover at 21C (70F)

My CPU now idles at 36C and the GPU idles at 22C.

At full load, CPU never breaks past 70C and the GPU never passes 40C. (I've got an obscene amount of watercooling going on though, a 360 and a 480 custom loop - all with push/pull GT 1250s, the 480 is also fully shrouded on both sides.)

Last edited:

Did you ever update your BIOs at all from the original? I'm on what I believe it shipped with which is 2503.

Weather has gotten a bit colder so I've cranked the heat up a bit in the Man Cave. Room temps hover at 21C (70F)

My CPU now idles at 36C and the GPU idles at 22C.

At full load, CPU never breaks past 70C and the GPU never passes 40C.
not bad at all . . . enjoy hopefully i join soon

Back