X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Dark Hero is in stock at Canada Computers - just ordered mine - says I can go pick it up tomorrow morning!!!!

wooooo - just 5900x and RAM and FINALLY i can friggin build

this is the ram I just ordered for this board ( https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374090?Item=N82E16820374090 ) should be about the fastest you can get with CL14 for 16gb sticks.. this stuff sells out FAST!

**EDIT** On g.skill's website, there is this https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/184/1604305008/F4-3600C14D-32GVK-Qvl
Dark Hero = 100%
This is what I have on my dark hero atm :) Well the royal version (woulda preferred the neo z but it was oos so got the royal version instead)

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14Q-64GTZN - Newegg.com

any insight if one could use hyper m.2 x16 card with this board? I know they made them for threadripper motherboards, but I'll have two extra m.2 drives and from what I can tell, a raid would be possible? But I am not sure! Graphics card takes one x16 slot and then this card in the second slot x8 where in the bios one sets it up as x4x4??? It is quite possible I misunderstood youtube guide...

any insight if one could use hyper m.2 x16 card with this board? I know they made them for threadripper motherboards, but I'll have two extra m.2 drives and from what I can tell, a raid would be possible? But I am not sure! Graphics card takes one x16 slot and then this card in the second slot x8 where in the bios one sets it up as x4x4??? It is quite possible I misunderstood youtube guide...
Depends on if the card has a bifurcation adapter on it - threadripper boards generally have bifurcation options for their PCIE slots for things like that, but X570 often doesn't - things like the card that come with the X570 Prestige Creation have bifurcation built in so it converts the x8 to an x4/x4 (if I'm remembering right - I was into this back in June before I went TR), while the TR based ones assume that the slot itself will already be bifurcated.

Depends on if the card has a bifurcation adapter on it - threadripper boards generally have bifurcation options for their PCIE slots for things like that, but X570 often doesn't - things like the card that come with the X570 Prestige Creation have bifurcation built in so it converts the x8 to an x4/x4 (if I'm remembering right - I was into this back in June before I went TR), while the TR based ones assume that the slot itself will already be bifurcated.
ok, thanx, I'll research it some more

Shopblt came through and got my dark hero delivered today by fedex, now I can start building my new system this weekend!

20201218_163505.jpg

First time ever ordering from them and not one bad thing to say. I think they are the only website (to my knowledge) that shows real time the total number of pre-orders and incoming orders from the supplier for each product. Also received multiple email updates of my order status so that's a plus in my book. On the other hand, tigerdirect.com is a different story, that whole company can burn in hell.

I've never purchased anything from them! how are they?
Well, they seem to deliver Unicorns, so that's in their favor. :D
They come across as pretty legit to me - they have already followed up with an email on my order already once with an update - no prompting on my part.

Dark Hero is in stock at Canada Computers - just ordered mine - says I can go pick it up tomorrow morning!!!!

Are you in BC or ON? Their website still shows no inventory at any location.

Are you in BC or ON? Their website still shows no inventory at any location.

Ontario - but they sold out within an hour or two of my post - the particular store I went to said they got 10 - and received my order...then the other 9 all hit very shortly afterwards he said

cancelled mine and went with the b550 unify X instead. will be a better match with the 4750g and my memory OC needs. as far as anyone can tell the dark hero is identical memory layout as the regular crosshair 8. id rather have the 2dimms and updated layout. tempted go get a 520I AC from gigabyte also for kicks. funnily enough a520 has the newest and most advanced memory layout of all the chipsets out right now. so great for HWbot validation runs

Nice!!! Are you on the East or West coast? Just caught up and see you are on the East. Did you preorder or just online as it changed status?

I cancelled mine. Support, while kind, wasn't very helpful. I built on the Crosshair Hero 8 that was bundled with my 5950X and it's running as of yesterday.

Nice!!! Are you on the East or West coast? Just caught up and see you are on the East. Did you preorder or just online as it changed status?
I just pressed reload on the page - saw it in stock at my particular store with 5+ in stock (5+ is the most it displays) and ordered it up

I just pressed reload on the page - saw it in stock at my particular store with 5+ in stock (5+ is the most it displays) and ordered it up
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I am in Vancouver BC and online order is not accepted for this board...

It's looking like I might end up with one or more extras of this board. If so, I'd be willing to sell any extras here at my cost (around $435) plus the cost of the shipping method of the buyer's choice. Not looking to profit off of them. UPS tracking says my board from newegg will arrive on the 29th, and my amazon preorder just shipped with an estimated arrival date of the 27th. I also still have preorders out at shopblt and b&h, and I'm not cancelling any preorders until I have a working board in my hands. So, it's looking like I'll have at least one extra Dark Hero by the 29th. Of course, if my first one is DOA or something, then I'll be using the second one. If the first one works though, I won't even break the seal on the second one and I'll ship it off to the first person who PMs me...soooo, PM me to get in line if you're interested :)

Edit: shipping would be from Pennsylvania, US

Last edited:
It's looking like I might end up with one or more extras of this board. If so, I'd be willing to sell any extras here at my cost (around $435) plus the cost of the shipping method of the buyer's choice. Not looking to profit off of them. UPS tracking says my board from newegg will arrive on the 29th, and my amazon preorder just shipped with an estimated arrival date of the 27th. I also still have preorders out at shopblt and b&h, and I'm not cancelling any preorders until I have a working board in my hands. So, it's looking like I'll have at least one extra Dark Hero by the 29th. Of course, if my first one is DOA or something, then I'll be using the second one. If the first one works though, I won't even break the seal on the second one and I'll ship it off to the first person who PMs me...soooo, PM me to get in line if you're interested :)

I'm interested - PM'ing you now.

Edit: It appears you are too new to the fourm without enough posting history to PM. How do I get a hold of you? Can you PM me?

Last edited:

I'm interested, tried PMing already but it says I can't for some reason

I'm interested - PM'ing you now.

Edit: It appears you are too new to the fourm without enough posting history to PM. How do I get a hold of you? Can you PM me?

I'm interested, tried PMing already but it says I can't for some reason

Sorry about that...I probably also should have checked if there were any forum rules pertaining to new members offering items for sale. Anyways, I'll try to PM you both now.

Edit: Apparently the minimum post count to use PMs is 100...I have 8 :( I don't want to flout the rules, but I'm not a scammer/scalper either...I just want to get this board to someone who will use it.

Last edited:
Sorry about that...I probably also should have checked if there were any forum rules pertaining to new members offering items for sale. Anyways, I'll try to PM you both now.

Edit: Apparently the minimum post count to use PMs is 100...I have 8 :( I don't want to flout the rules ;)

Just as an FYI I would run that last bit past a mod. The post limit is in place for a reason and you would be bypassing it.

Last edited:
Agreed
Just as an FYI I would run that last bit past a mod. The post limit is in place for a reason and you would be bypassing it.
Agreed. I removed it (though it's still currently in your quote), and will contact a moderator to see if anything can be done to allow me to use PMs.

Agreed

Agreed. I removed it (though it's still currently in your quote), and will contact a moderator to see if anything can be done to allow me to use PMs.
Easiest way is post a bunch; lots of history on that rule. If you have extensive heatware and can prove it, that might get you past too.

Find places to add value here. 100 posts isn’t that much :)

If you have extensive heatware and can prove it, that might get you past too.
Like I said in my first post...I used to be heavily into the hobby, but haven't built a new high-end PC in a very, very long time. The last bleeding-edge PC I built had an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and two 6800gt's when all of that was brand new. Since then, I've gotten by with laptops provided by my employer :yuck: I certainly have tons of parts and old systems laying around. I also collect and restore old 80s systems. Just this morning I was notching 5-1/4" floppies with a box knife so I could run this game on one of my Apple IIs, lol. Those don't generate much "heat" though :)

Anyways, I just wanted to maybe help out someone else who, like myself, has been trying to get their hands on a Dark Hero at MSRP for a long time.

Like I said in my first post...I used to be heavily into the hobby, but haven't built a new high-end PC in a very, very long time. The last bleeding-edge PC I built had an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and two 6800gt's when all of that was brand new. Since then, I've gotten by with laptops provided by my employer :yuck: I certainly have tons of parts and old systems laying around. I also collect and restore old 80s systems. Just this morning I was notching 5-1/4" floppies with a box knife so I could run this game on one of my Apple IIs, lol. Those don't generate much "heat" though :)

Anyways, I just wanted to maybe help out someone else who, like myself, has been trying to get their hands on a Dark Hero at MSRP for a long time.
That. Is. Awesome.

Thanks to whoever enabled my PMs. I have PMed everyone who expressed interest in my extra Dark Hero(s).

ETA on my order from BLT is still showing today 12/22 but no update email or website status. Wonder if the shipment is delayed at all.

ETA on my order from BLT is still showing today 12/22 but no update email or website status. Wonder if the shipment is delayed at all.
Yea... Mine was originally 12/14 like Raven, then got bumped to 12/22 and then got the email this morning that I got bumped to 12/30. I know I wasn't that far down the line. Pretty pissed off at this point. And they don't respond to emails either, so forget trying to talk to somebody.

Yea... Mine was originally 12/14 like Raven, then got bumped to 12/22 and then got the email this morning that I got bumped to 12/30. I know I wasn't that far down the line. Pretty pissed off at this point. And they don't respond to emails either, so forget trying to talk to somebody.
Same here. Now 12/30. Ordered on Dec 2nd. Really wish the order info would also tell you how deep in the pre-order queue you are sitting. I have no way of knowing if I even stand a chance of being in the resupply pile for that day. If I am below the 100 mark or sitting at 400+ in the queue that’s over 1000 deep now...

Same here. Now 12/30. Ordered on Dec 2nd. Really wish the order info would also tell you how deep in the pre-order queue you are sitting. I have no way of knowing if I even stand a chance of being in the resupply pile for that day. If I am below the 100 mark or sitting at 400+ in the queue that’s over 1000 deep now...
Yea I know what you're saying. I read through all the fine print on the website and they say that when you order you should check the live stock to see how many preorders there are then you are that plus one. Of course I didn't look when I ordered. It would be real simple for their order system to take a snapshot and include that with your order info...FYI ordered on 11/27 I feel like fairly close to Raven and he got his, so who knows.

My order is bumped to 12/30 as well but I placed Dec 1st. Sounds like they didn't get a single board this week, I'll give them one more "Deadline" since I'm going to be busy for the next week and then I'll have to just pick something else to go with. Not really a fan of this "take as many pre-orders as we can without any real idea of when they might be filled" approach.

Yeaaaah, this is getting pretty annoying, but still, just being in a line at least mean I can just relax, instead of having to frantically check out-of-stock websites every day.

Whichever forum Moderator banned kfriddile for wanting to help out a fellow [H] member with his offer of a spare Dark Hero motherboard, please consider unbanning him. He sent me the extra Dark Hero he snagged at cost. He’s legit.
He pinged me on Reddit as well - but didn't respond when I asked about which mod it was. He's a high-count poster over there as well.

Back