X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Newegg had a pre-order up for a short bit a few hours ago. I was close but newegg wanted me to re-enter my full credit card number. Bastards.

If for some reason I can't score a Dark Hero, and I don't plan to manually overclock, what are the practical differences between this and the regular Hero (wifi), besides the passive cooling, which was my attraction. I only upgrade my CPU/mobo every 7 years, so its got to last awhile. On the other hand, I have all the other parts for the build ready to go (3080, 5900X, 980 Pro SSD, etc.). Waiting a few weeks for this model is fine, but I'm hearing things like "March" from resellers, and I don't want to put the build off that long.

So, if I go with a regular Hero, what am I losing, both now, and potentially in the future?

Update: Also, because I'm paranoid, is the failure of the cooling fan down the road worth considering? I haven't had a fan on a motherboard in years so don't know if/when they fail.

Last edited:
I can't find a link for this motherboard on amazon, was able to find it on newegg though. Anyone know if a direct link was posted on discord, reddit, etc. for amazon like they did for the 5000 series before they were released?

If for some reason I can't score a Dark Hero, and I don't plan to manually overclock, what are the practical differences between this and the regular Hero (wifi), besides the passive cooling, which was my attraction. I only upgrade my CPU/mobo every 7 years, so its got to last awhile. On the other hand, I have all the other parts for the build ready to go (3080, 5900X, 980 Pro SSD, etc.). Waiting a few weeks for this model is fine, but I'm hearing things like "March" from resellers, and I don't want to put the build off that long.

So, if I go with a regular Hero, what am I losing, both now, and potentially in the future?

Update: Also, because I'm paranoid, is the failure of the cooling fan down the road worth considering? I haven't had a fan on a motherboard in years so don't know if/when they fail.
Dark hero has different look, the new OC feature, more powerful VRM and passive heatsink. Besides that they are basically the same.

I literally can't heard the chipset fan over the other fans in my system, so I wouldn't count that as a concern.

As far as longevity...can't say I guess, but I would think it should last that long.

I've seen the Dark Hero as of today show up (out of stock of course...like everything else) on a number of Canadian e-tailers

I have a crosshair viii hero x570 right now.. does it have a fan, I don't remember.. I bought it when 3950xs were released. If so I have never heard it and it sits about 3 feet away from me at ear level.

If you're not using more than 1 video card or more than 1 NVMe drive, just get a nice high end B550 board.

I drove 2 hours to Central Computers in Santa Clara this morning to get one. They had 5 in stock but none left by the time i got there—lucky for me they reserved one for me. The Sunnyvale location had 25 but as soon as they opened this morning, they were down to 10 and those were bundle only boards (have to buy ram and cooler).

061B7EF8-9747-49DE-A8E9-597CD781488D.jpeg

1589E475-6846-4AAF-AF18-1DB3529889DF.jpeg

I drove 2 hours to Central Computers in Santa Clara this morning to get one. They had 5 in stock but none left by the time i got there—lucky for me they reserved one for me. The Sunnyvale location had 25 but as soon as they opened this morning, they were down to 10 and those were bundle only boards (have to buy ram and cooler).

Yup I got one too!

High five!

View attachment 303577

View attachment 303578
I called these guys up and asked if they had any in stock and they said yeah but you have to buy a component with it. I asked a friend up north go pick one up for me, he gladly went. They wanted two components for it. So I asked my friend what he wanted, he picked out an m.2 for him self which came out to 100 and i bought crucial mx500gb ssd since I needed one more component to complete purchase. Now to ship that board down here to Los Angeles.

I called these guys up and asked if they had any in stock and they said yeah but you have to buy a component with it. I asked a friend up north go pick one up for me, he gladly went. They wanted two components for it. So I asked my friend what he wanted, he picked out an m.2 for him self which came out to 100 and i bought crucial mx500gb ssd since I needed one more component to complete purchase. Now to ship that board down here to Los Angeles.
Kind of crappy they hold you hostage on a purchase forced to buy other stuff to get what you want. NewEgg is doing the same thing with their combo BS.

Kind of crappy they hold you hostage on a purchase forced to buy other stuff to get what you want. NewEgg is doing the same thing with their combo BS.
Those combos can be returned on NewEgg. I also managed to snag a 5900x for a friend, while trying to snag a 5950x for my self from NewEgg which didn't work out for me. But I'll keep trying.

Those combos can be returned on NewEgg. I also managed to snag a 5900x for a friend, while trying to snag a 5950x for my self from NewEgg which didn't work out for me. But I'll keep trying.
Still dumb that's even necessary.

I have a crosshair viii hero x570 right now.. does it have a fan, I don't remember.. I bought it when 3950xs were released. If so I have never heard it and it sits about 3 feet away from me at ear level.
It does, and the fan is not noticeable over virtually any other component with a fan in the case.

Directdial.com was one of two sites that I put an order in for a dark hero knowing they were on back order with no eta. Thinking at worst they wouldn't get any in until sometime late December or early January. Well I just got an email from them telling me the board is back ordered until June 10th of 2021 lol. Guess i'll be cancelling my order with them Monday when I call. Hopefully the other site shopblt will get them in sooner or maybe newegg/amazon.
motherboard.jpg

Directdial.com was one of two sites that I put an order in for a dark hero knowing they were on back order with no eta. Thinking at worst they wouldn't get any in until sometime late December or early January. Well I just got an email from them telling me the board is back ordered until June 10th of 2021 lol. Guess i'll be cancelling my order with them Monday when I call. Hopefully the other site shopblt will get them in sooner or maybe newegg/amazon.
View attachment 303930
lmfao

Actually I do hope they are arriving by boat - and in mass quantities so that they don't sell out 15 seconds after they go up for sale like just about every other hot item that has hit of late. (AMD 5000 series and Nvidia 3000 series, I'm looking at you!!)

They arive by boat. The crew tests positive for COVID-19. They aren't allowed to unload for 2 weeks. All good gear being OOS continues...2020

They arive by boat. The crew tests positive for COVID-19. They aren't allowed to unload for 2 weeks. All good gear being OOS continues...2020
Is this really what happened that caused the delay on the initial shipment?

Is this really what happened that caused the delay on the initial shipment?
I doubt it as they were already available with limited quantites at local brick and mortar stores. If you look at 5150Joker's post above, he was able to score one at a Central Computers store, however it might be true for other shipments after the intial one. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

I placed an order through provantage the day they launched. Finally both called and emailed customer service to get an estimated ship date...

March 2021, no thanks. Hero viii for $360 in stock at best buy it is then lol.

Throwing an ek monoblock on it anyways for my 5900x so I doubt there would be any appreciable difference between the two when it's all said and done.

Just got an update to my order from shopblt, I was one of the first 5 that placed an order with them last week when their page went up, we shall see how accurate their "15 days" is, (not holding my breath). I do see they currently have 181 pre orders.

eta.jpg

Just got an update to my order from shopblt, I was one of the first 5 that placed an order with them last week when their page went up, we shall see how accurate their "15 days" is, (not holding my breath). I do see they currently have 181 pre orders.

View attachment 304073

Mine says the same thing 15 days. Ordered on the 27th. How do you know you were one of the first 5?

Mine says the same thing 15 days. Ordered on the 27th. How do you know you were one of the first 5?
if you go to the motherboard page on their website and click the availability tab, it shows you currently how many pre-orders they have. I did this the day I ordered it and it showed only 5 preorders so I assume I was one of the first 5.

View attachment 304073
Maybe I'll just roll with the Crosshair 8 that I got as a bundle...

In the same boat at "the901". Getting the new egg bundle with that crosshair 8 (non-wifi) version. Really want the dark for by build theme and the updates specs. With such large return windows maybe I can wait if someone nice posts an availability link here at some point.

I keep going back and forth on it, but unless I could easily pick up one from Amazon I don't think I'm going to bother.

yeah already ordered a bluetooh 5.0 usb attachment just incase I do decide to keep it. Dont need wireless and cant get the wireless version right now anyways unless ya want to do refurb or ship from out of country. I did email a couple of different shops on lead time and they are anywhere from late march to may lol , this is for those sites that are still doing backorders.

Looks like amazon has their dark hero page up, but its out of stock.

https:// www. amazon.com/dp/B08MTKJ6HM

EDIT: so anyone know why the forum won't allow me to post a direct link to an amazon page on here? I had to add spaces to the link above otherwise it posts an amazon logo image.

newegg canada had the dark hero in stock for a short time today - i didn't buy it because I didn't want to pay $19.99 shipping on a $529.99 motherboard - why do i get the feeling in like 7 weeks i'll still be trolling this thread severely regretting that frugal moment

newegg canada had the dark hero in stock for a short time today - i didn't buy it because I didn't want to pay $19.99 shipping on a $529.99 motherboard - why do i get the feeling in like 7 weeks i'll still be trolling this thread severely regretting that frugal moment
Because you likely will.

Reactions: Percy
like this
Back