X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Canadians - newegg.ca has dark hero in stock as of this moment - I tried again but I just cannot stand spending $20 shipping on a (with tax) $600 computer part - I'll grumble and complain as long as I have to until canada computers gets it in so I can get free shipping

newegg business just had them in stock as well 10-15 mins ago, it is annoying how they are selling a new shipment of dark heros on newegg business but 2.5 week old preorders from before release date are not being fulfilled first.

Looks like shopblt just got a shipment in as my order status now shows in stock and ready to ship. Those of you who placed an order with them should check your order status page and verify. Its looking like my board will be shipping out early next week and delivered to me in time for Christmas.

Looks like shopblt just got a shipment in as my order status now shows in stock and ready to ship. Those of you who placed an order with them should check your order status page and verify. Its looking like my board will be shipping out early next week and delivered to me in time for Christmas.
You must have been one of the first preorders. I think I was low 100s and mine hasn't updated to in stock/shipping. I was wondering why they had 800ish orders and it dropped roughly 100 earlier today. Grats on getting the board (soon)!

You must have been one of the first preorders. I think I was low 100s and mine hasn't updated to in stock/shipping. I was wondering why they had 800ish orders and it dropped roughly 100 earlier today. Grats on getting the board (soon)!
thanks. I ordered Nov 27th a few minutes after they went live in the morning and was one of the first 5. Anyways I'm thinking the drop in number of preorders could be due to people being impatient and cancelling their preorders or getting lucky and finding one on newegg, amazon, etc.

thanks. I ordered Nov 27th a few minutes after they went live in the morning and was one of the first 5. Anyways I'm thinking the drop in number of preorders could be due to people being impatient and cancelling their preorders or getting lucky and finding one on newegg, amazon, etc.
Oh very true. I think newegg had it in stock for 1-2 minutes max a few days back.

I preordered a few days late, think I'm like ~500 in line and received an email saying "We have a big shipment coming on the 21st" but outside of that I don't really have any expectations that I'll get one this year.

Just got email notification of my tracking number from shopblt that my dark hero will be delivered this Friday by Fedex! So if your guys were in one of the first 270 orders placed, you should be receiving tracking information any time now.

Just got email notification of my tracking number from shopblt that my dark hero will be delivered this Friday by Fedex! So if your guys were in one of the first 270 orders placed, you should be receiving tracking information any time now.
My eta still says the 14th so let's hope.

just walked into microcenter this morning and walked out with this board.. Got LUCKY!! and paid 369$ after tax for it LOL!!!
That's one of the things I miss about not living in Colorado anymore. It's a worthwhile sacrifice.

RavenX, what were the last three digits of your order #? My order # is sitting at xxxx00648. I'm just wondering how far back I am sitting in the queue. Last note I received from shopbit said:

"We have been informed that the ordered product has an updated estimated time of arrival (ETA) into our warehouse of 12/22/20." So, I'm probably looking at an early Jan arrival at best if I'm only a couple hundred behind...

Last edited:

RavenX, what were the last three digits of your order #? My order # is sitting at xxxx00648. I'm just wondering how far back I am sitting in the queue. Last note I received from shopbit said:

"We have been informed that the ordered product has an updated estimated time of arrival (ETA) into our warehouse of 12/22/20." So, I'm probably looking at an early Jan arrival at best if I'm only a couple hundred behind...

The last 3 of my order number is 629. I don't think that represents the place in line since there was only 5 orders shown on their site when I placed my pre order back on the 27th.

The last 3 of my order number is 629. I don't think that represents the place in line since there was only 5 orders shown on their site when I placed my pre order back on the 27th.

I signed up shortly after RavenX and my order number ends in 614. I have an ETA of 12/14/20, however my status still says processing. Hoping Monday rolls around and it updates to in stock/shipped. Hope this helps.

That makes me feel better, my # is 923, but my ETA is different and shows 12/22, maybe there is an additional shipment coming for us late folks. Or it could just mean I'm still weeks out and have to wait for a third shipment sometime hopefully around the end of the year.

I'm in Michigan and the interesting thing is they are shipping my order out of their California warehouse instead of one of their closer ones like Pennsylvania or Illinois like their website states. This leads me to believe that all shipments from Taiwan arrive in their Mira Loma, California warehouse first and not directly to their other warehouses around the US.

1608035542223.png

Well that sucks. It was the 14th and now it got pushed.

I'm in Michigan and the interesting thing is they are shipping my order out of their California warehouse instead of one of their closer ones like Pennsylvania or Illinois like their website states. This leads me to believe that all shipments from Taiwan arrive in their Mira Loma, California warehouse first and not directly to their other warehouses around the US.

View attachment 309266
Well that sucks. It was the 14th and now it got pushed.

Same thing happened to me. A little irritated but I don't have a gpu anyways and CDPR still needs to finish cyberpunk, so all good I suppose. I feel like I ordered very shortly after Raven. Anyways, to address your point Raven, I read up on the FAQ page and it says preorders are filled in the order they a received and stock ships from whichever warehouse has inventory, not necessarily whichever one is geographically closest. Explains why your board came from California. I will wait till the 22 to see if it ships, then I'll likely cancel. :(

I will wait till the 22 to see if it ships, then I'll likely cancel. :(
I was really wanting to take this Friday off and build but now I'm considering canceling so I can still do that. Hard to say. I sent them an email so I can get a better idea of where I'm at in the queue.

I was really wanting to take this Friday off and build but now I'm considering canceling so I can still do that. Hard to say. I sent them an email so I can get a better idea of where I'm at in the queue.
I just received an update email from sales indicating I was moved to the 22nd :(

Just placed an order for the Dark Hero at shopblt since they're the only place I see actually taking some sort of payment info for it.
My billing/shipping are different so I think I'll be getting a verification call soon before it's finalized. Will let everyone know what they say the estimated shipping window is if at all available.
The parts chase has me tired.

A couple months ago, I decided to build my first system in over 12 years. I've had a 3090FE sitting on my desk since November 13th...a 5950X since November 25th...and every other component for quite awhile, all acquired without resorting to rewarding scalpers. Everything except this board. Back in late November when the Dark Hero briefly became available on Asus' online store, I placed my order within seconds after watching the site for weeks and was rewarded with a confirmation that the board would be shipping to me within days. A few moments later, my credit card company notified me that they flagged the charge as suspicious and declined it, I called them to let them know it was legit, and they instructed me to contact Asus and have them reprocess the authorization. I immediately called Asus and was assured by two reps that everything was fine with my order and nothing needed to be done on their end. Twenty minutes later, I get an automated email from Asus saying that my order has been cancelled because the charge was declined :mad:

So now I have 4 preorders out for this board, and it'll likely be January before I have it in my hands. If someone had told me weeks ago I'd have an easier time getting a specific 3090 and a 5950X than I would getting a motherboard, I would have laughed. I guess I picked a good time to get back into the hobby :(

A couple months ago, I decided to build my first system in over 12 years. I've had a 3090FE sitting on my desk since November 13th...a 5950X since November 25th...and every other component for quite awhile, all acquired without resorting to rewarding scalpers. Everything except this board. Back in late November when the Dark Hero briefly became available on Asus' online store, I placed my order within seconds after watching the site for weeks and was rewarded with a confirmation that the board would be shipping to me within days. A few moments later, my credit card company notified me that they flagged the charge as suspicious and declined it, I called them to let them know it was legit, and they instructed me to contact Asus and have them reprocess the authorization. I immediately called Asus and was assured by two reps that everything was fine with my order and nothing needed to be done on their end. Twenty minutes later, I get an automated email from Asus saying that my order has been cancelled because the charge was declined :mad:

So now I have 4 preorders out for this board, and it'll likely be January before I have it in my hands. If someone had told me weeks ago I'd have an easier time getting a specific 3090 and a 5950X than I would getting a motherboard, I would have laughed. I guess I picked a good time to get back into the hobby :(
Lots of other boards out there; don’t hold up a build that long waiting on a motherboard!

Lots of other boards out there; don’t hold up a build that long waiting on a motherboard!
Ya, I've thought about that more than a few times now. But I figure if I've waited over a decade for a new system, I can wait a few weeks more to get exactly what I want. It sure is torture seeing those parts collecting dust on my desk every day though...

My two week old order still says shipping 12/22, gonna be crazy if they really do secure ~500 boards when no other website has had any listed for sale in weeks as far as I can tell.

My two week old order still says shipping 12/22, gonna be crazy if they really do secure ~500 boards when no other website has had any listed for sale in weeks as far as I can tell.
Newegg business had them listed a few days ago, I was able to order one before going oos.. shipped out the same day. Ohh and Amazon had them the other day.. think shipping date was like end of the month though.

Newegg business had them listed a few days ago, I was able to order one before going oos.. shipped out the same day. Ohh and Amazon had them the other day.. think shipping date was like end of the month though.
Would you happen to have a link? They don't show up on the business site when searching

Do you have a "business"? Will they ship to a residential address? If someone made up a business to create a newegg business account, could that potentially complicate any warranty claims made for items purchased with that newegg business account?

Just curious...I've never tried to use newegg business before.

Last edited:
Do you have a "business"? Will they ship to a residential address? If someone made up a business to a create a newegg business account, could that potentially complicate any warranty claims made for items purchased with that newegg business account?

Just curious...I've never tried to use newegg business before.

Anyone can order from newegg business, just create a normal account. :)

Only one Dark Hero with its unique dynamic OC switching feature. Wish all X570's had it.

Also, easier to tune RAMspeed and FCLK with, no chipset fan, fantastic I/O port with a ton of USB, easy and automatic OC, 50% higher amperage over average to support said OC, watercooling custom loop tracking, ARGB control, and the SSD PCIe primary slot isn't located underneath where the GPU has to go.

So there's that.

Last edited:
Only one Dark Hero with its unique dynamic OC switching feature. Wish all X570's had it.
That and it matches the "blacked out" color scheme I seem to have fallen into...I don't want it looking like a unicorn threw up all over my PC :)

Holy shit...my distill just dinged on regular newegg for this board and the order went through. I think I saw an estimated delivery date of between Dec 22 and 29 while I was furiously clicking through the checkout process!
Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 4.52.16 PM.png

Only one Dark Hero with its unique dynamic OC switching feature. Wish all X570's had it. Also, no chipset fan, fantastic I/O port with a TON of USB, easy and automatic OC, 50% higher amperage over average to support said OC, watercooling custom loop tracking, ARGB control, and the SSD PCIe primary slot isn't located underneath where the GPU has to go.

So there's that.
I guess I don't see the value in that - can you explain what you're thinking there? Most are either doing a all-core overclock, or using PBO. Trying to determine an amperage switch-over point is going to be complex, and ... does a few 100mhz make that much of a difference between the two for a specific application, outside of benchmark wins? It's a neat feature and idea, I'm just scratching my head why that would be that important, unless we're seeing drastically different numbers with it now.

I guess I don't see the value in that

Then don't worry about it I'd say.

can you explain what you're thinking there

Plenty of videos on it. Taking 5950x as an example, the multithreaded performance improvement from being able to boost without losing single threaded perf is equivalent to gaining just under 2 cores.

Whether it's worth it it depends on your usage scenario. This board looks to be the AM4/X570 pinnacle - and end of the line - for upgrade path until AM5.

Last edited:
Then don't worry about it I'd say.

Plenty of videos on it. Taking 5950x as an example, the multithreaded performance improvement from being able to boost without losing single threaded perf is equivalent to gaining just under 2 cores.

Whether it's "worth it" it depends on your usage scenario. This board looks to be the AM4/X570 pinnacle - and end of the line - for upgrade path until AM5.
I watched the videos; didn’t see any real world improvements though, but most were early release review videos or people just playing with it- have there been any yet where folks actually find the cutover point and demonstrate real world gains? I’m fascinated by the possibility, just struggling to see the value in holding off a build for that- but I haven’t seen the real world “here’s what it got me by doing this either” and can’t find that.

Back