X570 Chipset Fans...

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Aix., Aug 1, 2019.

1. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

So, I've just finished setting up my 570 build, and the fan is not audible to me. At least on the ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming. it has a blower type fan, I don't know about the other boards.
    I can't hear it running even from a few cms. I've tried disconnecting it and heard absolutely no difference.

BTW I don't know how necessary the fan is anyway. Maybe under OC the chipset gets hot, but I measured with a laser thermometer and with stock clocks and the fan disabled that tiny ass heatsink never got hotter than 48C. So If they replaced the fan with an equally sized proper heatsink It would've been more than enough.

STEM likes this.
  2. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

the reason the fans there is that apparently the chipset has absolutely no temperature protections nor the ability to down clock it's self so there's a very small chance that if there's a thermal runaway (aka if you have auto restart disabled when a BSOD happens and it's stuck like that for hours is a good example) the chipset will not down clock or power the system down. the original theory/rumor was that it had to do with raid 0 NVME pcie 4.0 m.2 drives but that doesn't seem to be the case, even that doesn't put enough load on the chipset for it to matter.

jmilcher likes this.
  3. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

Apologies if this is old information, but BIOS Flashback on these boards can be a bit sensitive to the type, format and size of the USB stick you are using. I've had that exact same issue you are describing trying to use BIOS flashback with my 64G USB3 Sandisk USB sticks. I had to put the BIOS on a FAT formatted stick that was a lot smaller and then it worked perfectly.

Aix. likes this.
  4. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Why even bother with the X570 unless you have very specific storage needs?

5. Aix.

Aix. [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for this. I wasn't able to get mine to work (8GB USB, FAT32 as per the instructions) but I was able get the support guy to flash it in-store using an old CPU. Ended up spending $100 less for one of the top X470 boards so I'm happy with that.

6. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

When I said FAT formatted, I ended up having to use a FAT-16 formatted stick (<2G in size). Not sure why the updater is so selective, but it really, really is.

Aix. likes this.
  7. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Yep.

8. HockeyJon

HockeyJon [H]ard|Gawd

E-peen

9. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Potentially better overclocking for 12 and 16 core CPU's as well as the ability to clock RAM higher. Not only that, but if the goal is to keep the platform longer, X570 will offer a potentially longer service life due to its more modern and broader feature set. If you want to do things like update your storage or upgrading your graphics card down the line, X570 will offer more performance for those things. Not only that, but X570 offers more PCIe lanes, which is useful to some people.

mjz_5, vegeta535, DrLobotomy and 2 others like this.
  10. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

^ With multiple m.2 options, pcie 4.0 and 12 and even 16 core CPUs I can see the x570 boards having legs much like previous intel HEDT stuff. Its a worthy 'tweener' platform for those coming off of x79, x99 and still wanting to get work done as well as play. Those who don't need or have the budget to go all in on TR4 or x299 can get plenty of grunt on x570.

Thats why I made the move anyway.

sirmonkey1985 likes this.
  11. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

I am not sure about the CPU OC as I haven't seen anyone compare this yet. Would like some info if available. As for the RAM OC, isn't it fully CPU and not MB dependent? Again, any info or comparisons available?

12. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

I would put money that OC won't benefit. PCIE 4.0 is useless for graphics for the lifespan of the platform. Not sure what feature set you're thinking of, I may be missing some. 4.0 chipset connection and specific storage benefits remain, but those are very niche, probably something >95% of Ryzen 3 users won't use.

13. Lepardi

Lepardi Limp Gawd

These chipset fans put me off from upgrading to a Zen 2 system. My 4790K is doing good enough still to carry on to Zen 3, and if they still have fans, I'll get a 2020 intel.

If Intel gets fans with PCI-E 4.0, I'll just get a PS5 and be done with it :dead:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  14. STEM

STEM Gawd

That's how you make the fat stacks of cash, by spending the least amount of money on R&D and manufacturing. Then release a chipset that puts out 10 to 15 extra watts of heat and suddenly needs a fan. But wait, there more... Motherboard manufacturers in their infinite greed decided that why manufacture proper copper southbridge heatsinks, when painted cast aluminum will do. And this on $500+ motherboards. So there you have it. Greed and profiteering at its finest. Regardless, people will pay for these and no one will care. It will only encourage all these companies, including AMD to rinse and repeat. Intel and the motherboards made for them aren't any better. I don't even want to think about the X299 VRM debacle from 2017... $500+ motherboards VRMs from the X79 and X99 era, but this time around with cast aluminum painted heatsinks. Fuck their greed and sheer stupidity.

15. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

Well, for me:

1) I like new shit and I did put my new build together using a PCIe 4 NVME drive.
    2) I seem to be keeping every new build longer than the last. My Core 2 Quad setup I kept around for 5 years before I upgraded to a 3770k and I kept that around for 7 years. Now with 12 cores/24 threads, I woudln't be surprised if I kept this thing around for close to decade with nothing more than GPU upgrades every 2 or so years, and i'm sure that at some point during those GPU upgrades, PCIe 4 will yield some benefits.

16. Dadebraafsie

Dadebraafsie n00b

i have a gigabyte mini itx x570 and have removed the chipset fan . i'm running an aorus M2 gen4 ssd aswell ,
    they get cooled by a noctua NH14S dual fan , chipsets temps hover between 40 and 55 degrees while gaming . with stock fan it was way higher ;)

Attached Files:

Aix. likes this.
  17. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

The fan is necessary. It def gets very hot on the chipset. Though I've been seeing many x470 users have a far better experience than we 570 guys n gals.

Aix. and jmilcher like this.
  18. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

Airflow is necessary, keeping the stock chipset fan is not.

I expect many ITX builds will be using top-down CPU coolers (sometimes reversed) to take care of this just like he did.

Aix. likes this.
  19. jmilcher

jmilcher [H]ardness Supreme

I’m only saying this in hindsight and as a high end x470 board owner.

Thank you AMD for adding the fan to the chipset, and saving me some cash and more importantly the headache.

20. Geronimo

Geronimo [H]ard|Gawd

Nice! I'll add that I have the same motherboard, and my stock chipset fan is silent.

21. tangoseal

I dont hear my x570 master either. Probably because I have 6 push pull radiator blowers running.

I've always used headphones. Cant stand speakers. Not even watching netflix or hulu stuff on my puter.

22. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

Dude, I am SO opposite of you on this... I got into watercooling in the first place back in the Athlon XP days to have a quieter system. and I hate having a headset on. I will avoid it like the freaking plague because they make my ears hot and sweaty and I can't stand the sensation of something sitting on/clamped to my head. But then, I have been a phone jocky at work for about a decade now, so...

23. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE and ROG Crosshair VIII Formula added a fan stop feature to their chipset fans, not sure if other ASUS boards will follow.

24. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Well, if you look at the VRM tables out there for each motherboard, when you evaluate the total power draw of these CPU's, some VRM's come up short.

upload_2019-8-6_14-58-54.png

Source.

As for overclocking the RAM, the memory controller in the CPU is only part of the equation. Some motherboards will clock RAM higher than others. Power phase implementation on the RAM slots, trace layout, PCB layer count, and firmware all factor into memory clocking and even compatibility. I've seen modules work on some motherboards and not others using the same CPU. I've also seen RAM clock to certain speeds on one motherboard and not another. This doesn't apply to just AMD either. Variables like the ones I mentioned impact Intel systems too, just not as badly.

funkydmunky and Aix. like this.
  25. tangoseal

I dont think the chipset uses that much energy unless your add in cards are active and nvme stuff. Watching movies etc.. is minimal load. I suspect you fire up a game or do a real heavy transfer then that chipset is going to be real busy making therms.

26. RamonGTP

RamonGTP [H]ardness Supreme

Der8auer has measured the power consumption of x570 under various load conditions

Aix., kamikazi and Dan_D like this.
  27. kamikazi

kamikazi Limp Gawd

I bought a Core i7 930 very late in the x58 era and it was a complete piece of garbage. It wouldn't go over 3.8 even with voltage I thought was borderline. My buddy bought one like a day before me. We both got them from newegg, but the stock voltage on his was like .075v lower than mine was. I started looking around and people were hitting 4.0 with voltage that wouldn't push mine past 3.6. Mine was on par with an average i7 920 C0, forget the D0 I definitely lost the silicon lottery on that one. It actually seemed to me at the time that early Intel silicon was the best. Maybe their yields improved enough that they could bin with much more precision and ensure that everyone got as little extra free performance as possible.

28. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I had a different experience. I had a C0 which would do more than 4.0GHz with reasonable voltage while my D0 strugged to hit 4.0 and took more voltage to get there. I think I ended up at 3.8GHz 24/7 on that one. I wouldn't call that Intel's best. Intel got much more consistent with its silicon in later generations. Between Kyle and I, we used probably more than half a dozen 2500K and 2600K CPU's that could all do north of 5.0GHz. I think 5.0GHz was the bad one. We had one that would do 5.2GHz, and a number that hit 5.1GHz with relative ease on most motherboards. He had the 2600K, but I think it was still good for 5.0GHz. Also, Intel's Gulftown Core i7 980X's were excellent in terms of consistency. They did improve slightly on the 990X, but my 980X did every bit of the overclocks I saw on the 990X's. 5960X's were a bit less consistent. I have one that will do 4.4GHz at 1.28v-1.30v depending on the board. The other one does 4.5GHz, but requires 1.35v minimum to achieve that. Meanwhile some other reviewers got boned and ended up stuck at 4.3GHz with shitty voltages. Haswell-E aside, Intel's generally gotten better. I've seen consistent results from everything after that.

Keep in mind that doing reviews, I've literally worked with all Intel's higher end processors. I don't typically just use one either. Kyle would get a few of each from different sources. ASUS would also sample about 100 of each high end CPU and shared their results with us, and sometimes in their overclocking guides that they published for everyone to see. I've also purchased a number of CPU's for my own personal machines over the years as well. So, I have a pretty good idea of what every higher end Intel or AMD can do that's been made over the last 15 years. I've been on both ends of the silicon lottery too. I've got good chips and bad ones. I think right now, Intel's the most consistent it's been with binning in the company's history. I don't know that I've heard of any Core i9 9900K's that can't do 5.0GHz. Some can't do 5.0GHz without an AVX offset, but most can do 5.0GHz as far as I know. AMD is certainly the most consistent its ever been with the Ryzen CPU family. They are all pretty much within a 200MHz range from worst to best, most of them are within 100MHz of each other. That's pretty much regardless of core count or platform.

I'm two for two on Core i9 9900K's hitting 5.0GHz on all cores. I have a 9600K that does 5.1GHz, and so on.

STEM likes this.
  29. kamikazi

kamikazi Limp Gawd

TLDW version of the video: The X570 chipset will be around 10 watts for most users. I would guess maybe 12 to 13 watts in extreme use cases of gaming and copying large files between NVME x4.0 drives at the same time. A cheap heatsink and fan is cheaper than a good heatsink with no fan.

Dan_D likes this.
  30. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

Waterblock it / End thread

I despise little fans and the high pitched whistle noises they seem to enjoy producing with such zest and fervor. Damn them all!

31. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I don't like them either, but I've tested a couple X570 boards and they haven't been an issue.

Geronimo and DogsofJune like this.