X570 Chipset and Fan - GPU blocking air

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
So I noticed that the position of the PCH fan on my ASUS Hero is directly under the GPU. I’m using a 2080ti and it’s sitting directly over top of the fan, covering near 90% or more and the GPU is sitting flush. If that fan can breathe at all, it’s pulling in hot air which can’t be good. Also the PCH fan doesn’t turn off, it’s constantly running over 3000rpm.

I originally thought they stuck the fan on the PCH for intense data transfers etc...

Are all the X570 boards designed similarly? and the position of the fan on every board is the same?

E9F4C10A-4663-4E8B-8928-1139AA67912D.jpeg

Last edited:
fan's not needed for normal usage, it's there as last resort protection because the chipset has no temp safeties built into it. e.g. no ability to downclock or shut the system down due to high temps.

by default i believe all bios have it set to use balanced fan settings, you can go in and change it to silent which increases the minimum temp threshold to 68C in most bios that i've seen.

In case anyone else has the same question, this pic was just shared with me. Shows the various positions the different board manufactures have the fan placed for the X570 line.
C0E61DD6-7BDC-4FAB-8357-7E673EAA50C1.jpeg

huh.. i didn't even notice til that picture that asus and msi used the same fan location across all their boards.

My Asus Hero doesn't seem to have a PCH fan problem in spite of the placement. Of course, the Kraken G12 doesn't block it as much as a standard air cooled version would.

20200811_114144.jpg

Back