X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI Bifurcation question for PCIE NVME

Corporate Thug

Weaksauce
Hi all -

I have my 2 M2 slots populated and need to add a third NVME. My only option is using a PCIE card. My understanding is if is use the second PCI Express x16 slot, the mobo will automatically default the PCI Express x16 (first slot) to 8x/8x config. I'm guessing this will hamper the performance of the video card. If my assumption is correct, would the same thing happen if use the PCI Express x1 instead? Basically, I'm trying to figure out what the best way would be to add a third NVME via PCIe with reducing graphics performance (or reducing it by the least amount possible).

Thanks!

Im pretty sure 1st slot is x16 off cpu and second is x8 from chipset. I believe you get x16 and x8 using both

Reading the manual, think you are absolutely correct. I'm not sure why I'm seeing threads of Reddit saying populating both x16 will drop to 8x/8x. The second x16 is limited to 4x anyway so I'm not sure have a 8x/8x bifurcation would even be possible. With that said, is there any difference between using the second 16x slot vs. the 1x slot?
Capture.PNG
ible.

Your m.2 is gonna be at least 3.0x4 but more likely 4.0x4 depending on the drive. gpu goes in first x16 slot and gets full x16 speed. M.2 adapter goes in x16 slot 2 and gets 4.0 x 4.0 speed.

Your m.2 is gonna be at least 3.0x4 but more likely 4.0x4 depending on the drive. gpu goes in first x16 slot and gets full x16 speed. M.2 adapter goes in x16 slot 2 and gets 4.0 x 4.0 speed.
Ok so the m2 in the second 16x will not reduce the bandwidth on the first 16x slot to 8x correct?

If anyone was curious, the other posters in this thread were correct. GPU-Z is still showing the first pcie slot running at 16x after I installed the NVME in pcie slot 2. I ran 3dmark just to be completely sure and the two scores were in fact within a few points of each other. Thanks all.

Back