X470 TaiChi or X570 Pro 4

Jayham

Gawd
Hey guys, looking for some onions on a decision I should make between 2 MB's will be running a 3900X (already purchased, but may downgrade if too much CPU) for Unraid and a Windows VM

Roughly same price, $120 X470 Taichi BNIB or $130 X570 Pro 4 just one week old, used maybe 30 hours so like new? 2 different people selling know both personally.

Why would you even consider the x470 with only a $10 difference?

Why would you even consider the x470 with only a $10 difference?

Well that's why I'm asking on the forum, from my understanding the x470 has better VRMs but mda makes a good point in his post then again with a 3900X I don't think I'll be upgrading this Unraid server running Windows VM anytime soon maybe just drives I don't know I'm really torn between the two.

Well that's why I'm asking on the forum, from my understanding the x470 has better VRMs but mda makes a good point in his post then again with a 3900X I don't think I'll be upgrading this Unraid server running Windows VM anytime soon maybe just drives I don't know I'm really torn between the two.

x470 is a chipset independent from VRMs but x570 boards have FAR better VRMs

x470 is a chipset independent from VRMs but x570 boards have FAR better VRMs

Yes, I understand the x470 is a chipset independent from VRMs. That was my bad what I meant to say is the Taichi x470 has a better VRM than the ASRock Pro 4 x570 according to a VRM chart I used as reference.

Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

You can see from this chart that the x470 Taichi can run up to a 3950X without issue while the x570 Pro 4 falls under "major air flow recommended." So I don't quite understand what you mean by x570 has FAR better VRMs, some of the higher end boards this holds true. Also if you look at hardware unboxed VRM temperature of the MSI x570 gaming Wi-Fi edge temperatures are consistently over 100° and CPU was throttling, he stopped testing with the board because he didn't want to kill his 3900X. So I don't get where you come to the conclusion that they have far better VRMs because I don't believe that statement to be true. I only understand what I'm seeing from this chart, and some comparison videos that I've looked at.

The taichi does have better VRM than the pro4

But the pro4 has an okay VRM. I'd probably go pro4.

The Taichi is definitely a better board overall, so it really comes down to whether or not you plan to upgrade the CPU in the future or if you need PCIe 4.0 storage support.

The Taichi is definitely a better board overall, so it really comes down to whether or not you plan to upgrade the CPU in the future or if you need PCIe 4.0 storage support.

I think that's actually about spot on.
Definitely won't be needing PCIe 4.0 storage support as I think 90% of users don't even need it. As for the CPU I was actually thinking 3900 might be too much CPU and if by chance I did upgrade it for whatever reason would be maybe to a second-hand 3950 down the road so I'd still be ok.

Back