x470 recommendations

Nimisys

Fully [H]
My x370 board died and I don't have the budget to replace the 1700x that is sitting in it. So with that excluding the current crop of x570 out there, the leaves me with looking at another x370 or move to x470.

Hardocp on mobile is not allowing me to read old reviews, so what would be recommended for a still available full ATX x470 board? Still available is the key here, I am not looking to buy from FS/FT (not as if there is a lot of x470 on there right now anyways).

I love my Asus x470-f gaming. Support has been good and no issues with the ram that I am running... love it. P.S. We cant read [H] Reviews no more they are gone on all platforms.... :(

The MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon is one of the better ones from last year. It's not filled with all the extra BS that the cream of the crop boards have, but it still has the good power delivery of the $200+ boards. If you ever want to move to 3000 series it'll support even the 3950x without a problem.

Detailed review -

You'll find it still available at most of the big sellers.

I've been very happy with the board myself.

Just take note to NOT update your BIOS to any of the new BIOS's that support the 3000 series unless you plan on upgrading. In order to support the newer CPU's most of the MSI boards had to receive an uglier GUI, and the newer microcode introduces bugs that you don't need to open yourself to if you have an older CPU. This applies to any manufacturer FYI, whatever board you decide to end up getting - Don't update to any version BIOS that supports the new CPU's unless you actually need it. AMD hasn't sorted out all the bugs yet with the newer platform microcode.

All of that being said - Any of the more decent X470 boards that can properly power the newer CPU's aren't that much of savings compared to the X570 boards. You might be better off just getting a $200 X570 board. From what i've read most, if not all, of the X570 boards out there do in fact support first gen Ryzen.

Or, if you know for a fact you won't upgrade past the 2000 series CPU's or stick with the 1700x, you might want to look at some cheap-o boards.

Last edited:
The MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon is one of the better ones from last year. It's not filled with all the extra BS that the cream of the crop boards have, but it still has the good power delivery of the $200+ boards. If you ever want to move to 3000 series it'll support even the 3950x without a problem.

Detailed review -

You'll find it still available at most of the big sellers.

I've been very happy with the board myself.

Just take note to NOT update your BIOS to any of the new BIOS's that support the 3000 series unless you plan on upgrading. In order to support the newer CPU's most of the MSI boards had to receive an uglier GUI, and the newer microcode introduces bugs that you don't need to open yourself to if you have an older CPU. This applies to any manufacturer FYI, whatever board you decide to end up getting - Don't update to any version BIOS that supports the new CPU's unless you actually need it. AMD hasn't sorted out all the bugs yet with the newer platform microcode.

My current board is/was an MSI and I did the update. I might be the only one on the planet that preferred the new GUI as I could never find what I wanted in their old one, and I grew up on the Phoenix BIOS anyways. Worked out well that I had, because the chip I had access to was a 3400g. That being said I was never a fan of the rest of the MSI software for that board

My current board is/was an MSI and I did the update. I might be the only one on the planet that preferred the new GUI as I could never find what I wanted in their old one, and I grew up on the Phoenix BIOS anyways. Worked out well that I had, because the chip I had access to was a 3400g. That being said I was never a fan of the rest of the MSI software for that board

I don't use any of MSI's software. It's not a requirement, except for the stupid LED's, which I don't care about so I don't install Mystic Light.

The reason to not update if using the older CPU's simply has to do with all the bugs present in the newer AMD microcode. The GUI downgrade is less of a problem.

My x370 board died and I don't have the budget to replace the 1700x that is sitting in it. So with that excluding the current crop of x570 out there, the leaves me with looking at another x370 or move to x470.

Hardocp on mobile is not allowing me to read old reviews, so what would be recommended for a still available full ATX x470 board? Still available is the key here, I am not looking to buy from FS/FT (not as if there is a lot of x470 on there right now anyways).
Newegg had x470 strix f for 45 off right now. Just ordered mine.

Newegg had x470 strix f for 45 off right now. Just ordered mine.

That's a great board. Almost all of the bells and whistles of the CH7, but a little cheaper. I used both the CH7 and the X470-F and in day to day operation, not much of a difference at all.

Back