X4 Propus is now on newegg

I'm looking forward to the pricing of the 600e versions, I think those should be good for a file server/vm box.

About time.. wasn't it supposed to have been released months ago? Still no reviews...

But yeah, for $125 you can get an unlocked Phenom II X3 at 2.8 GHz which would perform better most of the time. Even a Phenom I 9950 makes more sense if you can still find one. That would give you the same 2.6 GHz, but an unlocked multiplier and 2MB of L3...

But, it's good news for AMD. Now they can finally offer Quad core with a more manageable die size.

by a far... Phenom 2 is about 20-35% faster than Phenom 1 per clock.

a lot of the performance gain is also from the 6mb L3 cache.. though id say the Propus should out do the phenom 9600 and lower.. the 9750, 9850, 9950 should still out perform the Propus at stock clocks..

i still dont know why people always complain about prices on products when they are first released.. its a given that the first month or two they will be over priced.. then they will fall to their regular pricing after that.. especially with the competitive pricing that AMD has been using.. its hard to find a spot to put these at in pricing.. because you have the phenom II 920/940 that sell under 150 dollars.. then you have the phenom II 550 thats 80-100 dollars.. and you have the x3's and 810 that sell around 110-140 dollars..

i still dont know why people always complain about prices on products when they are first released.. its a given that the first month or two they will be over priced.. then they will fall to their regular pricing after that.. its been that way for ever and it will never change..

Been reading the i5 threads lol?

What you said rang true because lots of people in the i5 threads want to compare it price/performace to the i7 which obviously was released some time ago.

But, it's good news for AMD. Now they can finally offer Quad core with a more manageable die size.

From what i've seen propus is just a deneb core with the l3 disabled, hence the 512k l2 Vs the 1024 on regor. I was quite dissapointed when i found that one out..

What you said rang true because lots of people in the i5 threads want to compare it price/performace to the i7 which obviously was released some time ago.

the funny thing is the i5 is some what price correctly for the performance.. its only about 10-15% slower then the i7 with 4 less processing threads(not counting memory intensive benchmarks).. proving that hyperthreading is once again utter BS.. like the majority of us have been saying since the p4 days..

From what i've seen propus is just a deneb core with the l3 disabled, hence the 512k l2 Vs the 1024 on regor. I was quite dissapointed when i found that one out..

yeah you are correct.. they are deneb cores that have less then 4mb of good L3 cache.. so they disabled the L3 cache completely and released it as the propus..

these will be perfect processors though for OEM builds and in home file servers or network servers.. or for those people that need a system more geared toward web browsing but may need the 2 extra cores every once in a while.. in the end its another smart move by AMD.. they will slowly take market shares from intel now that the LGA-775 socket is completely dead and their cheapest processor is over 200 dollars..

uh oh.. i upset the hardware god...

Last edited:
the funny thing is the i5 is some what price correctly for the performance.. its only about 10-15% slower then the i7 with 4 less processing threads(not counting memory intensive benchmarks).. proving that hyperthreading is once again utter BS.. like the majority of us have been saying since the p4 days..

BS
Any good encoding app, any dood multithreaded game, any good 3Dcontent creation app ect. shows you flat out wrong...borerline lying.

And if you compare the P4 HT to the i7 HT, you are cleary not up to speed on microarchitecures.

by a far... Phenom 2 is about 20-35% faster than Phenom 1 per clock.

Phenom II is between 3% and 28% faster than Phenom I clock for clock. Most of the time, the difference is around 10-15% or less:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3492&p=9

Almost all of the performance gains from the Phenom I to the Phenom II came from increasing the L3 cache size from 2MB to 6MB. The Athlon X4 on the other hand has *no* L3 cache at all. So even with the other small enhancements from Agena to Deneb, the Athlon X4 will not perform as well. This is why it's named Athlon and not Phenom - Athlon is the value brand now.
In fact, per core, per clock, it will probably be slower than the Athlon II X2s since they at least have 1MB of L2 per core vs just 512KB for the X4.

i still dont know why people always complain about prices on products when they are first released.. its a given that the first month or two they will be over priced.. then they will fall to their regular pricing after that..

Not true. For example, when the 4850 and 4870 were released, they offered excellent value for the money right from the start. The 4850 did not start at $320 only to drop to $199 a few months later. It started at $199, which was excellent value The Athlon X4 does not revolutionize the multi core market in the same way. You can get a much faster triple core CPU for the same price, or get the older Phenom I if you absolutely must have Quad core for under $120.

Last edited:
Phenom II is between 3% and 28% faster than Phenom I clock for clock. Most of the time, the difference is around 10-15% or less:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3492&p=9

Almost all of the performance gains from the Phenom I to the Phenom II came from increasing the L3 cache size from 2MB to 6MB. The Athlon X4 on the other hand has *no* L3 cache at all. In fact, per core, per clock, it will probably be slower than the Athlon II X2s since they at least have 1MB of L2 per core vs just 512KB for the X4.

Not true. For example, when the 4850 and 4870 were released, they offered excellent value for the money right from the start. The 4850 did not start at $320 only to drop to $199 a few months later. It started at $199, which was excellent value The Athlon X4 does not revolutionize the Quad core market in the same way. You can get a much faster triple core CPU for the same price, or get the older Phenom I if you absolutely must have Quad core for under $120.

yeah i understand but i think where they got away with it on the 4850 and 4870 is that they werent having to fit it between products.. they didnt release the 4870x2 first then the 4830 while trying to some how fit the 4850/70 in the same price range.. this is the problem they are having with the athlon II's.. they competitively priced everything before it.. then didnt leave enough space for upcoming cores to fit in the same price ranges.. we will probably see these processors well under the 100 dollar mark by mid/late october.. which may push the phenom II 550BE and slower cores around the 50 dollar mark.. so it could end up being win win on the customer side.. but we will have to see what happens..

I wonder... since the Athlon II X2 are true dual cores... and now we have the Athlon II X4...

Perhaps AMD might consider releasing some Athlon II X2 with two disable cores from the Athlon X4. If so I wonder what they will price these disable quads at?

Perhaps we might see some more unlocking CPUs into quads?

Propus chips are L3 disabled Denebs at the moment but they will transition to true Propus dies (no L3 at all) because they are cheaper to make. Per the previous threads about the Propus 620 unlocking to a Deneb quad with full L3 some of these early chips may even be 100% working. From another thread it looks like you can identify the deneb/propus from the OPN code.

Heh neat. Now we got Athlon II X4 unlocking L3 cache. I kinda like this route of unlocking because at least you get to keep your temp sensors.

125 USD?

Are you frakking kidding me? That is a laughable price compared to the Phenom IIs.

More AMD mistakes. How much more do you want to fall AMD?

After reading more its obvious this model should not represent the entire X4 line. As L3 can be unlocked it is just some damn stock cores thrown in a new box with a switch thrown. Real Popus cores are not supposed to have L3 period.

Edit: You know I ought to buy this and unlock it just to laugh at AMD. As that is all they are asking for doing this especially when they are forced to lower prices in a few weeks.

125 USD?

Are you frakking kidding me? That is a laughable price compared to the Phenom IIs.

More AMD mistakes. How much more do you want to fall AMD?
New products always start out overpriced, even if they're slower. Give it time to drop to where it's supposed to be.

What new product? This isnt new. Matter of fact the reports of L3 being easier to unlock than cores suggests this is a perfectly good phenom II with a switch thrown just to get SOMTHING with the name Athlon II X4 on it.

We will have no valid benchmarks on performance per watt because you still got L3 there activated or not drawing energy.

I don't understand what you are so worked up over. AMD replaces a budget chip with a better chip until production catches up and you're slagging them over...what exactly?:confused:

I don't understand what you are so worked up over. AMD replaces a budget chip with a better chip until production catches up and you're slagging them over...what exactly?:confused:

It's not a wise move by AMD. I don't know why any of them care though. You're getting a higher performing chip than what you're supposed to.

Because I think in the long term rather than unlockers who seldom seem to think outside of short term in my opinion.

AMD will have to lower the price on this and when it does it will devastate sales on the higher end phenoms because it seems that these chips are perfectly good chips with L3 easily unlocked (A trend greatly growing in popularity) The X4 in lower clocks and volts with no L3 period are WAY overdue but will not devastate sales because they cant be unlocked (No L3) and are designed for different tasks in mind. (4 core HTPC with the 45W version for example)

All of this is going to cost AMD ALOT of money at the end.

Because I think in the long term rather than unlockers who seldom seem to think outside of short term in my opinion.

AMD will have to lower the price on this and when it does it will devastate sales on the higher end phenoms because it seems that these chips are perfectly good chips with L3 easily unlocked (A trend greatly growing in popularity) The X4 in lower clocks and volts with no L3 period are WAY overdue but will not devastate sales because they cant be unlocked (No L3) and are designed for different tasks in mind. (4 core HTPC with the 45W version for example)

All of this is going to cost AMD ALOT of money at the end.
Please reread the thread because you seem to have missed something vital. The use of Deneb cores is only until Propus production ramps up. For all us mortals outside of a NDA know, AMD could already be ready for true Propus cores and only the first few batches are Deneb cores. We simply don't know this at the moment... so any paranoia about the sky caving in is unjustified when we already did know the price on these would have to drop because it's an Athlon II, not a Phenom II part and consequently the market has to settle with it below the price of any L3 enabled quads. Propus cores are so much smaller than Deneb the cost savings to AMD obviously makes sense to them or they wouldn't have bothered at all, would they?

faster then Phenom and slower then Phenom 2 :p

http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=6957&pageid=5641

you guys are being way too naive, Sure the 1% of their market that will buy this chip and unlock the cache gets a bonus, but the 99% that buy it in their HP or Dell computer for much less then an intel quad will be happy they got a quad core.. this is a smart move by AMD, not a bad one, you guys make up for a very small portion of the market

Please reread the thread because you seem to have missed something vital. The use of Deneb cores is only until Propus production ramps up. For all us mortals outside of a NDA know, AMD could already be ready for true Propus cores and only the first few batches are Deneb cores. We simply don't know this at the moment... so any paranoia about the sky caving in is unjustified when we already did know the price on these would have to drop because it's an Athlon II, not a Phenom II part and consequently the market has to settle with it below the price of any L3 enabled quads. Propus cores are so much smaller than Deneb the cost savings to AMD obviously makes sense to them or they wouldn't have bothered at all, would they?

Heh do we know anything about AMD these days?

So now you've got a CPU model out there that has less than a few thousand out. That is going to suck for the early adopters. I hope they L3 enable them all for the price paid for these units.

And yes Propus is supposed to be very small. Which is why I almost fell out of my chair when early reviews stated L3 could be enabled. Of course it was these deneb cores confusing the issue.

You are right the sky is not falling. Its just AMD up to its antics again.

In this economic situation were in these lower line cpu's make sence to alot of people...in reality using the over priced intel vs the lower priced athlon or ph 2's are more affordable.
for 95% of the desktop market you will see no real world difference running any normal desktop apps..
intel does have a great product but so does amd and with unlocked multipliers and the possibility of unlocking additional cores and cashe it gives you a chance to have alot more fun trying different things at a very affordable price and also makes o/clocking a breeze...
who in their right mind is going to pay 1000.00 bucks to get an unlocked multiplier on a 975 i7 unless you have a specific use for what that systen is designed for... maybe 3% of the desktop market if that...
ill tell you from experience my 955 x4 and my sons 920 i7 system there is absolutley no difference in real world useage...
intel has some great products no doubt but imo amd is way better bang for the buck and you can have more options to o/clock your cpu.....who is going to see a difference in a game running 70fps vs 65 fps..
come on guys give amd a break....also who cares if burning a dvd takes a minite longer with amd vs intel....unless you are a benchmark nut in real world use there is no difference except with amd you have some money still left in your pocket to put gas in your car or make you health insurance premium and can have a ball with all the options amd offers to o/clock the cpu with the BE edition models at a very affordable price...
if your mustang gt gets you to the grocery store in 5min and 35sec and you camaro gets you there in
5min and 20sec does it really matter...99% of the people wouldnt even notice the difference...both are great cars but the camaro cost 1000 bucks less where is the real difference...you really cant see it unless you are using a stop watch every where you go...get my point....

Last edited:
Back