X399 Designare EX-CF with 1920X

deeppow

Limp Gawd
System specs are in the signature below. Haven't pushed it hard but based on Kyle's experience there may not be a lot of room left. Attached image shows a snap while running Prime95 on 24 threads.

Attachments

• HW_info.JPG
    HW_info.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 38
Very nice! Its nice to see others post up with the 1920x. Tks for posting up the Pic of the hw info. Its nice to
compare. Mine is very close to yours other then i have hit 80c+ when doing benchmarks. I had it high as 4.1g
I doubt it would be stable in a demanding application. I have since lowered it to 3.8 at 1.275volts.

So many setting on the threadripper OC stuff that i am not sure where to begin to get a stable clock in the long run.
I picked 3.8 at 1.275 kind of out of the air. I hate the way it runs the cores all over the place if u leave it at stock settings
Another thing was my cpu core was at 1.42 stock speeds. I thought this was overly high!!

Tks again for your post ! Gave me some clarity

My setup is
1920x
asrock 399x tachi
32g flare x at 14 14 14 34 48 3200
2 1080 ti
420/280 single loop

Elkwood, thanks for your comments.

To overclock, all I did was follow Kyle's effort on the ASUS Zenith Extreme overclock (look at HardOcp review of that board). Somewhere I think it was said he used that approach on the Gigabyte X399 Aorus board overclock too.

I've not spent more than 10s of minutes in my overclocking, sounds similar to you. In the above overclock I did drop SOC to 1.0V but haven't experimented with that further with that setting.

I did try 4.1 without changing any voltage settings and my computer did lockup after awhile of running Prime95. Guess I'm lucky to get 4.0 at 1.275V. For me, correct numerical answers are more important than speed.

Just a update i played around with my setup some more. Got it fairly stable at 4.05g at 1.30ish volts. My limiting factor are temps
i can't keep them down. Your temps with the chiller are truly impressive. I am hitting 90c + when benchmarking at 4gigs. I wouldn't dare
leave it on prime 95 over night... Scared i find a hole burned through to china :)

I thought the Heat killer blk would be an improvement over the XPSC. So far that has not proven to be
the case. Its around the same temps if not slightly worse. In fact i might switch back to the xpsc blk .

Chiller for the win :)

At 90+ the board should throttle itself but at the cost of Threadrippers I wouldn't trust it.

All the reviews I've seen show the XPSC hangs in there with most others within a degree or so between the best. Looking at the internal structure and the flow into and out of the micro-fined block I would think some might be better than the XPSC but tests show it doesn't seem to matter much. That implies mixing above the base and its fins to the inlet and outlet minimize any gains due to their location in top. ..... Ain't worth the time to test to see if that's true.

Chilled water: I bought a used chiller 10+ years ago on Ebay with a temperature controller. Found an Iwaki pump. Those were the main parts. Everything went into an external plastic container and hosed (1/2" ID) the chilled water into the computer. Got quick-connects to allow moving/separating the computer from the other crap and it has pretty much set there till now. It does make some noise due to the fan for the chiller but it isn't awful, certainly won't qualify as a quite setup (I am too lazy to build a noise reduction box for the chiller).

Back