X38 or RD790: Which Are You Waiting For?

Which chipset are you waiting for, interested in, or considering?

• Intel X38

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • AMD RD790

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Both

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

Pepsiennis

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, with just a few days to go before the next round of 'launch fun' begins, I'm interested in hearing which, if either, of the two chipsets you're interested waiting for and why.

I don't think we really need RD790 yet; let's see what Barcelona has to offer first. No use selling 105 octane gas (petrol, for the rest of you lot :p) when everyone's driving Hondas.

And X38 doesn't really bring anything new to the table- SLI would've been nice, but without it we've already seen what P35 is capable of.

Interested in the X38 to see if it can do anything more then a P35, PCI-E 2.0 and by the looks of the X38 gigabyte board a crap load of USB connections

I'm interested to see what x38 is capable of, more significantly what the Intel DX38BT Bonetrail is capable of.

I <3 my D975XBX2 mobo, most stable motherboard I've ever used :D

I'm interested to see what x38 is capable of, more significantly what the Intel DX38BT Bonetrail is capable of...

Indeed! I don't know why, but that Bonetrail (or 'Bone-Dat-Tail', as they call it in Detroit) really has me wondering what they can make of it. I hope they don't get conservative with it.

As for the chipsets, they both offer two full x16 PCIE. Seeing a crossfire head to head, or even SLI if the drivers get hacked, ought to be a tour de force!

I'm interested to see what the X38 does, but if AMD pulls a rabbit out of the hat, I'll be interested in the RD790. I just don't see that being likely at this point. Never know though.

I'm interested to see what the X38 does, but if AMD pulls a rabbit out of the hat, I'll be interested in the RD790. I just don't see that being likely at this point. Never know though.

Personally I'm equally interested in both. On paper the RD790/Phenom combo sounds like it should be very strong, but AMD seems to have problems implementing engineering and having it realized properly. But, rabbits out of hats is not too infrequent an occurrence in many industries. Lord knows, AMD's is long overdue.

Really interested to see what AMD can produce, I'm also eager to find out if Abit can continue the roll with the X38 chipset.

Good point! On the Intel side I expect they'll continue strongly with the X38... the layout of their DDR3 IX38-MAX and their DDR2 IX38 QuadGT (despite differences in pcb color) look to be identical to each other, and without noticeable deviation from their previous IP35 Pro and AB9 QuadGT. Why mess with a good thing, right? The digital PWM is even making a return. As for AMD, that's their homecoming celebration: if the RD790/Phenom is a strong combination, then how Abit does with their RD790 board will let us know if they are really back on top or were just riding Intel's coat tails.

Back