X370 or B450 for new 3600 build?

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
I'm going to build a new HTPC this week with a Ryzen 3600 and a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 (new in box; got cheap). This will be used with my projector for 1080p PC gaming and emulation (Dolphin, CEMU, RPCS3 etc). I have a full ATX case this will go in, so any size mobo will work.

Here's my dilemma. I have a brand new ASUS Prime X370-Pro motherboard sitting here unused from a Micro Center combo I got about 6 months ago. The 3600 I'm going to buy is $189 and I get $30 off a motherboard. They currently have the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 for $99 - $20 rebate - $30 combo = $50.

I've read some here and there about 3xxx CPU overclocking, and some say it's not even worth it to overclock them. Enable Precision Boost 2 and let your CPU sing. I've also read about hit or miss support with X370 boards with PB2, and how memory compatibility can be a problem (I still need to get RAM).

So, what would you do in my situation? If I do get the ASRock I'm going to sell the X370 and should get $50-$60 for it, no problem, so that's a wash. Or, is there another Micro Center motherboard you recommend?

Also, any RAM recommendations that aren't crazy expensive?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.microcenter.com/product/476089/asus-prime-x370-pro-am4-atx-amd-motherboard

https://www.microcenter.com/product/509728/asrock-fatal1ty-b450-gaming-k4-am4-atx-amd-motherboard

HTPC? Series 2000 AMD would be cheap and fit nicely @ $116. Put the rest of the savings into faster RAM. Don't worry or bother about OC. I'd just pop whatever cpu u get into the Prime MB. If u get a 3000 series make sure you flash it first. RAM, keep it at or above 3200MHZ. As fast as you can afford, Ryzen is very RAM speed sensitive. Memory issues have been solved, just stick with the MB QVL.

Define Crazy expensive.

Last edited:
HTPC, but a 99.9% gaming PC, so 3600 is going to be the CPU. With the emulation I'm going to be running, I need as much CPU as I can get (6 cores being plenty).

If I keep the X370, I'm going to have to plop an older CPU in there and flash it. I'm hoping if I buy a new motherboard, it will be ready for the 3000 series, so one less step.

Crazy expensive would be 16GB ram over $100. I'd like to keep it under that. Thanks.

From what I've read, B450's are about on par with X370's. So from a performance standpoint there would be no difference.
- On the other hand, B450's are still in production which means they are still supported with BIOS updates.
- I know X370 boards currently get regular BIOS updates (FYI I have a 3700X on a crosshair VI) but they lag in comparison and I don't know if the pace is going to slow down.
- You can always sell the B450 too making use of the $30 discount.

Personally, I'd keep the X370 and not deal with breaking in a new mobo, expecially if you're happy with it's stability and feature set.

As for RAM, any decent 3600 kit with good timings 15/16 CAS. The real question is to RGB or not RGB ;)
- You can try a 3200 kit with Samsung B-Die or Micron E Die but with current RAM prices, I'd get a 16 GB (2X8) 3600 kit
https://www.microcenter.com/product...desktop-memory-kit-f4-3600c16d-16gvkc---black

I'd probably keep the X370 and then just sell the NIB B450 board. Might make $30 on it after shipping, etc. I wouldn't swap out the X370-Pro though. It's a good board.

Keep the X370 board, you gain nothing moving to the B450. The 3600 is a sweet little processor, good bang for the buck with ST performance approaching Intel. I have mine OC'ed to 4.25 Ghz, 3600Mhz RAM and it beats the shit out of my 9600K at 5Ghz in everything but 1080P gaming (and ST perf) and even there, it's not like I can see the FPS difference (TV Display is 60 Hz for 1080P, 2K and 4K).

Back