X370 motherboards?

JoseJones

Gawd
Not interested in the Z270 motherboards or KabyLake due out January 5th 2017 they say but, I am interested in the X370 motherboards and CannonLake so, when do we get to start learning about the X370 series motherboards?

10nm CannonLake is suppose to come out in the 2nd half of 2017 and is suppose to include PCI 4.0 but, will it be a "true PCI 4.0"? I recall what happened when PCI 3.0 first came out:

MSI Calls Out Gigabyte for "Not True PCIe 3.0"
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gigabyte-pcie-gen3-mobo,13377.html

Gigabyte Sets Record Straight on PCIe 3.0 Support
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-msi-pcie-3.0-gen3-third-gen,13485.html

So, anybody know anything about the X370 series motherboards? When are they suppose to be released, specs, features? Anything new?

Last edited:
Its not entirely certain Cannnonlake won't launch on Z270. Besides that the real CPU of interest will be Ice Lake.

Ahh, I never thought CannonLake would work on Z270 mobos - interesting. Ice Lake is suppose to come out in 2018. I don't think I can wait that long as my system is getting too old now. I was going to get the z270 KabyLake but, it turns out that's not what I want - I was disappointed.

Intel Planning To Bring 14nm Coffee Lake 6 Core Chips in 2018 on Mainstream PCs – To Coexist With 10nm Cannonlake Processors
http://wccftech.com/intel-14nm-coffee-lake-10nm-cannonlake-2018/

We get some info about Cannonlake, CoffeeLake and IceLake but, I never heard a word about the Z370 motherboards. I hope they start making mobos with less SATA and more NVMe.

What is it you want / need the machine to do that Kaby Lake won't do? How were you disappointed?

Not interested in the Z270 motherboards or KabyLake due out January 5th 2017 they say but, I am interested in the Z370 motherboards and CannonLake so, when do we get to start learning about the Z370 series motherboards?

10nm CannonLake is suppose to come out in the 2nd half of 2017 and is suppose to include PCI 4.0 but, will it be a "true PCI 4.0"? I recall what happened when PCI 3.0 first came out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-msi-pcie-3.0-gen3-third-gen,13485.html

So, anybody know anything about the Z300 series motherboards? When are they suppose to be released, specs, features? Anything new?

You know that whole kerfuffle happened because motherboard makers were hacking-in PCIe 3.0 support to existing Z68 motherboards? Once Z77 actually launched, where were no more issues.

But we did see issues with x79 Sandy-E processors and PCIe 3.0 support. Some motherboards and Nvidia cards did not mesh well:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310170-30-pcie

SOLUTION: wait for the OFFICIAL second generation of each new bus platform before you buy-in (i.e. like Z77 motherboards). Don't buy first-generation PCIe 4.0, you'll just be stuck as a beta tester for no noticeable performance improvement.

How would know if the "first-generation PCIe 4.0 was just a beta tester" or not? How would one know for sure if it's "true PCIe 4.0"? Are we even likely to have something similar to the MSI vs Gigabyte fiasco again or have they learned from that mistake and therefore not something to worry about this time?

How would know if the "first-generation PCIe 4.0 was just a beta tester" or not? How would one know for sure if it's "true PCIe 4.0"? Are we even likely to have something similar to the MSI vs Gigabyte fiasco again or have they learned from that mistake and therefore not something to worry about this time?

You wait a few months after the platform launches and check google/reddit/forums. You know, like you avoid nearly every other issue.

There will always be "gotta have it" people. You don't have to be one pf those people :D

Seriously doubt that'll ever happen again. It hadn't before, and there was substantial backlash. No sense on their side risking that kind of negative press for a few bucks.

Not interested in the Z270 motherboards or KabyLake due out January 5th 2017 they say but, I am interested in the Z370 motherboards and CannonLake so, when do we get to start learning about the Z370 series motherboards?

So, anybody know anything about the Z300 series motherboards? When are they suppose to be released, specs, features? Anything new?
Well considering we just found out info about the 200 series, almost 1.5 years after the 100 series came out, probably not for another 1.5 to 2 years.

*edit* Just read this article talking about 300 series possibly coming end of 2017. Sooner than I thought.

I might buy a x299 system but the Kaby Lake CPU that is going to be available with it is a f-ing joke. Will have to hold off until they ship a real KL CPU for it.

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks for the link. Here's another: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mother...wi-fi-and-usb-3-1-functionality-in-300-series

commentator asks: "300-series motherboard series scheduled to be released at the end of 2017"

"I thought CannonLake was due out in summer time 2017? Why wouldn't the z370 motherboards be ready in time for 10nm CannonLake? The 300-series motherboards should be out by June 2017"

Well, Cannon Lake is due out in the 2nd half of 2017 but, I was hoping for Cannon Lake and a Z370 motherboard by fall ie Aug/Sept.??? So they're really going to make us wait another year ah

Cannon Lake is slated to be a die-shrunk Kaby Lake so don't expect much to change on the chipset either.

Big difference between 200 and 300 is that 300 will have Intel 3.1 and Wi-Fi. Even 100-200 difference is negligible (think x4 more pci-e lanes, that's all).

That's what always irritates me about Intel is they release the HEDT right before the new ones come out with good stuff on them. Why not release HEDT with the new features?

This article says that PCIe 4.0 will use a new connector?

"Gen 4 will use a new connector"

PCIe-chart.jpg

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1326922

Gen 4 will use a new connector but the spec will be backward compatible mechanically and electrically

Which generally means it will have more conductors but the same overall shape. It's been known for a while that it would be a new connector, nice to see that it's backwards compatible (but possibly not forwards).

Gen 4 will use a new connector but the spec will be backward compatible mechanically and electrically

Which generally means it will have more conductors but the same overall shape. It's been known for a while that it would be a new connector, nice to see that it's backwards compatible (but possibly not forwards).

Ahh good. Thanks for that.

Ahh, I never thought CannonLake would work on Z270 mobos - interesting. Ice Lake is suppose to come out in 2018. I don't think I can wait that long as my system is getting too old now. I was going to get the z270 KabyLake but, it turns out that's not what I want - I was disappointed.

Intel Planning To Bring 14nm Coffee Lake 6 Core Chips in 2018 on Mainstream PCs – To Coexist With 10nm Cannonlake Processors
http://wccftech.com/intel-14nm-coffee-lake-10nm-cannonlake-2018/

We get some info about Cannonlake, CoffeeLake and IceLake but, I never heard a word about the Z370 motherboards. I hope they start making mobos with less SATA and more NVMe.

Intel has completely changed it line up and a lot is still uncertain at this point which is crazy.

Cannon lake will launch with coffee lake but 10nm cannon lake will be limited to laptop chips/SOCs first so only ULV chips. Coffee lake will be 14nm desktop version of cannon lake. 10nm desktop chips won't be out in 2017 most likely from the last i read.

Their road map keeps changing every 6 months and nothing is certain. We have fallen so far behind what was expected to be out in 2017 from 5 years ago it is nuts.

PCI 4.0 is still totally unknown from what i understand and is way way behind in my book. We should be at PCI 5.0 at this point given GPUs, 10GBe, HBAs, NVMe, 16x Lanes is total shit. Even my 40x lane server is nearly out of bandwidth...i can't do half the shit i want with my desktop because of this 16x lane BS and i need single thread so no HEDT for main rig.

So PCI-E 4.0 boards will accept 3.0 and earlier cards, but PCI-E 4.0 cards will not work on PCI 3.0 or older boards. Sound right?

Read elsewhere that it's speculated manufacturers will either just stick with 3.0 for a while longer than usual or make both 3.0 and 4.0 versions of the same card.

Just wondering what the bandwidth limitations were for Volta GPU coming this summer and maybe a comparison to the 1080ti ... for single GPU set-ups - is PCI 4.0 even necessary yet?

Just wondering what the bandwidth limitations were for Volta GPU coming this summer and maybe a comparison to the 1080ti ... for single GPU set-ups - is PCI 4.0 even necessary yet?
4.0 is if you wwant multi GPU, NVMe in a card, XPoint, or 10GbE card.

some games see fairly large loss in performance on 3.0 8x but that is only a few games and higher frame rates. Techpowerup has a review of that but it is out dated (used fairly older cards) so the issue is even worse now. It would be nice to see a new review of PCIe

Problem is if you want fast quad core for single thread you are limited to 16x lanes and makes getting 10GbE, XPoint/NVMe on cpu lanes vs chipset not really possible without GPU being at 8x and 10GbE at 4x and nvme at 4x

you want 2 GPUs with nvme and 10gbe? lol can't

PCIe 4.0 will first arrive in early 2019 from the looks of it with Icelake. Cannon Lake wont really come to the desktop (Think Broadwell) but Coffee Lake will instead.

PCIe 4.0 will first arrive in early 2019 from the looks of it with Icelake. Cannon Lake wont really come to the desktop (Think Broadwell) but Coffee Lake will instead.
yep....we are pretty fucked for anything CPU for a good while :/

We still don't know the difference between the 1800X, 1700X and 1700 besides wattage and clock speeds - does the 1700 also compare to Intel's i7 6900? How does it compare to the new Kaby Lake Z270? We still know very little and I'd like to see some real benchmarks and some comparisons like:

Intel i7 7700 Kaby Lake Z270 with a Samsung 960 NVMe M.2

VS.

AMD 1800X, 1700X & 1700 Rysen AM4 370 with a Samsung 960 NVMe M.2

I'm really curious to find out how well the 65w 1700 holds up compared to i7 Kaby Lake. Apparently, the 1700 does not include "XFR Unlimited Turbo."

AMD Ryzen Full Lineup Prices, Specs & Clock Speeds Leaked – 8 Cores Starting At $319, 6 Cores At $229 & 4 Cores At $129

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-full-lineup-pricing-clock-speeds-leaked/

AMD Ryzen X370 & B350 Asus Motherboard Prices Leaked – Launching February 24th
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-asus-motherboard-prices-leaked/

; )

I really hope next gen Intel cpu's are compatible with z270. Being a recent buyer of this platform, it would be very dissapointing to have a new platform in 3 months that nothing actual works.

They are only competitive if the processor's performance ends up being competitive. On that front, we don't have a lot of information.
Yep, we'll have to wait, I hope at least this time there are near Intel performance... Left AMD back on the phenom tlb buggie cpus... LOL.

Yeah, I was really surprised at those low prices. According to those links above the AM4 X370 starts at $150 and $209 for those two Asus mobos.

I'd like to see a comparison between the AMD Ryzen 1700X and 1700 CPU's. I'm really curious to find out how well the 65w 1700 holds up compared to i7 Kaby Lake. Apparently, the 1700 does not include "XFR Unlimited Turbo."

I hope AMD pulls this off - I hope this isn't a case of, "Ya get what ya pay for" type of thing.

Hero for $209 -> hmmmmmm -> one snazzy looking motherboard!
Asus really does well in getting it right or near right the first time - new chipset, new cpu etc..

Yeah, I was really surprised at those low prices. According to those links above the AM4 X370 starts at $150 and $209 for those two Asus mobos.

I'd like to see a comparison between the AMD Ryzen 1700X and 1700 CPU's. I'm really curious to find out how well the 65w 1700 holds up compared to i7 Kaby Lake. Apparently, the 1700 does not include "XFR Unlimited Turbo."

I hope AMD pulls this off - I hope this isn't a case of, "Ya get what ya pay for" type of thing.
isn't 150-210 standard for MB? I always pay just over 200 for the best MB for intel.

I still want to know the PCIE lane break out. I know the 16x for video card and 4x for PCIE nvme drive but is there anything more lets say for another m.2 without being limited?

Edit. Geez didnt realize this was necroed and AMD stuff thrown in here when the topic was actually the z370, was confused by the x370 QQ

Last edited:
isn't 150-210 standard for MB? I always pay just over 200 for the best MB for intel.

The best motherboard is relative. One of the best motherboards of the last generation was around $499 for Z170 and over $560 for X99. $200 can buy a solid mid-range motherboard with a nice feature set and great overclocking. Is it the best out there? Well that's leading into somewhat subjective territory but I'd say no.

The best motherboard is relative. One of the best motherboards of the last generation was around $499 for Z170 and over $560 for X99. $200 can buy a solid mid-range motherboard with a nice feature set and great overclocking. Is it the best out there? Well that's leading into somewhat subjective territory but I'd say no.
MY ASRock WS was one of the best and only $250-300 Who pays $500 when the exact same features and quality is 250-300?

My ASRock OC is one of the best and is 200ish.

I don't see how a name brand like ASUS with no better rep vs its spinoff ASRock with exact same featues and quality for half is even relevent.

I bought a 1,000 MB!!!! only the best have a fake price of 1000!!!!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157649
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...gclid=CJ6XwZqTk9ICFUW4wAodz4cBtw&gclsrc=aw.ds

When i was shopping i didn't see any board better vs reiews, ratings, or specs.

Nothing substantial at least. I am also one who uses everything. See my sig below.

I have like 1 slot or no slots left when i am done on my WS/Server

BTW it needs to be updated. I switched to 6TB drives/2x3TB in strip for Snapraid.

Also ASRock was one of the only brands that supported ECC RDDIMMs so how is my 250 board not one of the best?

Last edited:
I am just curious what others think if it's worth waiting for PCIe 4.0 or not to try to future proof a bit?

What's the latest on PCIe 4.0 - haven't even heard anything about it for quite a long time. When can we expect it to be released and on what motherboard generation ie Inte's z370 and AMD's x470 or after that?

PCIe-chart.jpg

MY ASRock WS was one of the best and only $250-300 Who pays $500 when the exact same features and quality is 250-300?

My ASRock OC is one of the best and is 200ish.

I don't see how a name brand like ASUS with no better rep vs its spinoff ASRock with exact same featues and quality for half is even relevent.

I bought a 1,000 MB!!!! only the best have a fake price of 1000!!!!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157649
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...gclid=CJ6XwZqTk9ICFUW4wAodz4cBtw&gclsrc=aw.ds

When i was shopping i didn't see any board better vs reiews, ratings, or specs.

Nothing substantial at least. I am also one who uses everything. See my sig below.

I have like 1 slot or no slots left when i am done on my WS/Server

BTW it needs to be updated. I switched to 6TB drives/2x3TB in strip for Snapraid.

Also ASRock was one of the only brands that supported ECC RDDIMMs so how is my 250 board not one of the best?

ASRock does not have the same quality on it's offerings as ASUS does. ASUS doesn't use ultra-thin PCB's with the strength and rigidity of under cooked bacon. ASRock does. ASRock's ability to deliver a motherboard at a substantial discount compared to ASUS is not magic. Don't kid yourself, you are not getting the same product at half price. That's foolish to believe. The fact is that delivering a product at a substantial discount takes sacrificing costs somewhere. With ASRock, it's usually in the PCB and voltage components. Using Newegg reviews to back up your point is weak at best. Newegg reviews are written by people that fall into one of two categories. 1.) People who are pissed off for one reason or another. 2.) People who want to justify their purchase to others by seeking validation for their decision making. This is of very limited value. You have to consider the skill set of the average person who reviews something at Newegg. Here's a hint: It isn't very high.

Specs on paper are largely useless when manufacturers do not publish the detailed specs that actually matter. They only publish the feature lists for the products. These aren't very telling. It tells you nothing about the power circuitry or the quality of the components used. I'm not saying every ASRock board is trash, but be realistic. They aren't the cream of the crop either. They are rarely the best at anything other than price which takes sacrifices to achieve. On the high end, ASRock is a better bet but on the lower end of the spectrum, you get what you pay for.

I hate to piss in your cereal but no $250 motherboard could qualify as the best. Best in class? Sure. Best in that price? Sure. Is it the best overall? Not even close.

ASRock does not have the same quality on it's offerings as ASUS does. ASUS doesn't use ultra-thin PCB's with the strength and rigidity of under cooked bacon. ASRock does. ASRock's ability to deliver a motherboard at a substantial discount compared to ASUS is not magic. Don't kid yourself, you are not getting the same product at half price. That's foolish to believe. The fact is that delivering a product at a substantial discount takes sacrificing costs somewhere. With ASRock, it's usually in the PCB and voltage components. Using Newegg reviews to back up your point is weak at best. Newegg reviews are written by people that fall into one of two categories. 1.) People who are pissed off for one reason or another. 2.) People who want to justify their purchase to others by seeking validation for their decision making. This is of very limited value. You have to consider the skill set of the average person who reviews something at Newegg. Here's a hint: It isn't very high.

Specs on paper are largely useless when manufacturers do not publish the detailed specs that actually matter. They only publish the feature lists for the products. These aren't very telling. It tells you nothing about the power circuitry or the quality of the components used. I'm not saying every ASRock board is trash, but be realistic. They aren't the cream of the crop either. They are rarely the best at anything other than price which takes sacrifices to achieve. On the high end, ASRock is a better bet but on the lower end of the spectrum, you get what you pay for.

I hate to piss in your cereal but no $250 motherboard could qualify as the best. Best in class? Sure. Best in that price? Sure. Is it the best overall? Not even close.

Ops...got tabs confused lol

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/10/28/asrock_x99_ws_lga_2011v3_motherboard_review

.....these are your words rofl

I’ll start off by saying that this is easily the best built of all the ASRock motherboards I’ve seen. The PCB is thick and straight, the components are all from easily recognized manufacturers and the selection made sense in all cases. The Nichicon capacitors for example are the hallmark of quality and for once I wasn’t afraid to handle an ASRock motherboard.

ASRock X99 WS was the pinnacle of stability once dialed in. The integrated features worked flawlessly and met all expectations at the very least. I was surprised by the i217LM network controller which has thus far proved to be one of the best we’ve tested to date. When all is said and done the only thing I have against this motherboard aside from the metal stickers on the heat sinks is the inability of the system to run with common hardware at default settings.

Granted, I never had issues with stock settings....maybe because you bought it first released and it had a dumb setting? It worked out of the box for me. I have owned ASUS and ASRock and cheap MSI from craiglist PC. I never have had an issue with ASRock in terms of boards being flimsy or weak. The only problem i have had witgh ASRock is that the RAM tends to get loose i guess and spit out errors. Its an easy fix now that i know of it and this is only on the Z series and not the X series. I think because it comes with only 1 latch and not 2 which is stupid. X99 never had this issue and its been moved and jerked much more. If i move desktop i just reset RAM and no posting issues. Its the only flaw i have ever had and easy fix when you know thats the issue.

Supported RDDIMMs, Xeons, ECC, and 128GB and 250 bucks vs 500 for ASUS and that ASUS board had its own issues too. Forget which one. I think it also supported RDDIMMs but maybe it didn't.

Very few X99 support Xeon, ECC, RDDIMMs, and 16GB sticks. If that isn't feature rich and does everything i don't know what your talking about.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/19/asrock_z77_oc_formula_lga_1155_motherboard_review/7

Dan's Thoughts:

I know I’ve bagged on ASRock pretty hard in the past. I always felt that ASRock’ "rep" with me was well deserved. Its more recent offerings have been solid on the bench but not anything I’d actually buy for myself. Certainly those lower tier motherboards are worthy of recommendation with a word of caution about the thin PCBs and some other issues. The ASRock Z77 OC Formula is different. I have no reservations about using this board for anything. It feels and behaves as quality hardware should. It does what you tell it to do and doesn’t skip a beat. The Z77 OC Formula is the best ASRock motherboard I’ve used to date and it ranks among the best Z77 Express chipset boards I’ve reviewed. Try as I might I couldn’t find any serious faults with it.

My experiences with it out of the box, through setup, torture testing, and overclocking were nothing short of excellent and a fine example of what ASRock is capable of building. If you want a powerhouse of a board and you don’t want to spend a small fortune to get it, the Z77 OC Formula should definitely be on your short list.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/Z170M_OC_FORMULA/12.html

Again, i explicitly mentions OC forumla and the WS board and not their other stuff because i only buy feature rich boards which comparing quality and features from ASUS/MSI vs ASRock ASRock is a solid buy for a lot less especially for X99. You even admit it yourself in your published reviews. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Yes, those are my words and I stand by them. Unfortunately, you are taking them out of context. It was a good motherboard but I still wouldn't put it's quality on par with most of what ASUS, MSI and GIGABYTE offer. Again, you used the word "best" and no motherboard from ASRock I've ever seen would qualify as the "best" in my experience for one reason or another.

Granted, I never had issues with stock settings....maybe because you bought it first released and it had a dumb setting? It worked out of the box for me. I have owned ASUS and ASRock and cheap MSI from craiglist PC. I never have had an issue with ASRock in terms of boards being flimsy or weak. The only problem i have had witgh ASRock is that the RAM tends to get loose i guess and spit out errors. Its an easy fix now that i know of it and this is only on the Z series and not the X series. I think because it comes with only 1 latch and not 2 which is stupid. X99 never had this issue and its been moved and jerked much more. If i move desktop i just reset RAM and no posting issues. Its the only flaw i have ever had and easy fix when you know thats the issue.

Supported RDDIMMs, Xeons, ECC, and 128GB and 250 bucks vs 500 for ASUS and that ASUS board had its own issues too. Forget which one. I think it also supported RDDIMMs but maybe it didn't.

Very few X99 support Xeon, ECC, RDDIMMs, and 16GB sticks. If that isn't feature rich and does everything i don't know what your talking about.

ASUS supports XEON CPUs, ECC etc. on some models. That's not the feature set I'm talking about. That's not the feature set that costs money to implement either. I'm talking about audio, SATA ports, USB controllers, overclocking features, voltage check points, etc. You can't tell me that a $250 ASRock board is as feature rich as a $500 ASUS motherboard because it isn't. Even if it was, the quality wouldn't be on the same level.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/Z170M_OC_FORMULA/12.html

Again, i explicitly mentions OC forumla and the WS board and not their other stuff because i only buy feature rich boards which comparing quality and features from ASUS/MSI vs ASRock ASRock is a solid buy for a lot less especially for X99. You even admit it yourself in your published reviews. :rolleyes:

Specificially, the X99-WS was a fantastic motherboard with the minor problem of the UEFI BIOS settings not being set to what they should be by default for stock operation in our case. That doesn't mean that this is the "best" X99 motherboard out there or a better option than those offered by the competition. It's a good motherboard at a good price but as usual, ASRock doesn't really compete until you get into their more expensive options.

Back