X370 & 5000 series update

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Anyone have any new on the possible BIOS update for older x370 boards to use 5000 series?
I heard that it is now coming but info is sparse.

Anyone have any new on the possible BIOS update for older x370 boards to use 5000 series?
I heard that it is now coming but info is sparse.
The issue is the same as it's been for a while. It's all about the limited size of a BIOS. Every CPU that is supported has to have an entry in the BIOS. There is not enough space available to support every CPU going back to first gen rizen and also support the newest CPUs. That's the main reason why newer chipsets rarely support older Rizen chips, and also why older boards don't usually support newer chips. Some boards have different BIOS options so you can basically choose which BIOS to use based on what CPU support you need, but those boards are in the minority. Most companies really don't want people who are running old rizen chips on old chipsets to end up flashing with a BIOS that no longer supports their existing CPU, basically bricking their computer in the process. And I'm sure it doesn't make them sad when people have extra reason to buy a new mobo instead of reusing their old one.

Sure. But it is recent news so wondering why the change? A320 have been done and now this much later. Interested.

Back