X360 to have more MMORPGs

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
Not a surprise to anyone, I'm sure. But many of us who like MMORPGs here may like this news - considering you don't have to pay separate monthly fees for each, just one :)

From Joystiq
With the recent announcement of another MMO planned for the 360, it’s time to step back a little and look at the console’s promised massively multiplayer lineup. Despite the number of MMOs jostling for players on the PC, consoles have had it rough with only a couple of titles launching: Phantasy Star Online and Final Fantasy XI managed it, but without overwhelming success.

The Xbox 360 may change this. With Silver Live membership free to everyone, and “online community” the buzzword of the day, perhaps the time has finally come to go massively multiplayer on a console. A quick roundup of the planned titles:

Final Fantasy XI will be making the transition from PC/PS2 to 360 largely unchanged, and soon

A MMO featuring Marvel characters (no, not City of Heroes) is expected, but perhaps not until 2008
Cars-and-shootouts MMO APB will also make its way to the 360 by 2008
Massively-multiplayer FPS Huxley is touted for 2006
Given the success of MMOs on the PC, and the number of players with Xbox Live, console MMOs seem to be sure-fire hits. However, there are problems for developers to address, from the obvious control and interface issues to game balancing and cross-platform compatibility. Everyone is waiting for the next World of Warcraft on Xbox, and it might even be, in fact, World of Warcraft. However, with some publishers shying away from the 360—for now—it remains to be seen whether MMOs on the 360 go the same way as they have on previous consoles: dismally.
 

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,800
WoW will not be released on 360, read off the WoW site ill try and find a link.
 

Steel Chicken

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 29, 2001
Messages
4,798
munkle said:
WoW will not be released on 360, read off the WoW site ill try and find a link.

im surprised at that. MS would OWN the console market if they get Blizz to port Wow.
 

michealo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,285
try reading all that text on a sitting 10' or more from TV
not gonna happen
 

WorldRunner

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
454
They need to just get over the whole "We don't want this to be a computer thus no KB+M" thing and release them for FPS and MMOs.
 

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
They will allow the keyboard for any MMO games, but not for control. Just for text purposes. They said that already. But no keyboard+mouse for gameplay.
 
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
2,993
Steel Chicken said:
im surprised at that. MS would OWN the console market if they get Blizz to port Wow.

I agree that it would probably sell well, but I just don't see any way to dumb-down the wide array of options in WoW so they'd work well on a controller. You'd need a nice wireless keyboard and mouse, bottom line.

Jason
 

SuX0rz

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2002
Messages
1,292
DragonMasterAlex said:
I agree that it would probably sell well, but I just don't see any way to dumb-down the wide array of options in WoW so they'd work well on a controller. You'd need a nice wireless keyboard and mouse, bottom line.

Jason

Agreed.

I was thinking how hard PvP WoW would be with an xbox controller. Also, there would be those who would cry "unfair" if xbox and PC were part of the same relm.
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
996
steviep said:
Not a surprise to anyone, I'm sure. But many of us who like MMORPGs here may like this news - considering you don't have to pay separate monthly fees for each, just one :)

From Joystiq

Uhm...what makes you think there won't be monthly fees?
 

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 12, 2004
Messages
3,050
I have seen concept sketches of the keyboard / controller. I dont know if they are going to go with the one I saw, as the final design but the keyboard was small and fit between the two pontoons (for lack of a better word) on the controller. I dont think it is a matter of them just not wanting to release a KB/mouse, I think it has more to do with the mechanics of holding the controller with one hand and typing and using the other hand for a mouse type device.
 

Sesheron

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
201
rfwinters77 said:
Uhm...what makes you think there won't be monthly fees?
he's right....PSO had a monthly fee to it on the xbox....what stops others from doing the same.....most ppl just don't realize how much it costs to maintain the servers for an mmorpg....there is usually a room full of computer for just one server of the many...
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
996
Sesheron said:
he's right....PSO had a monthly fee to it on the xbox....what stops others from doing the same.....most ppl just don't realize how much it costs to maintain the servers for an mmorpg....there is usually a room full of computer for just one server of the many...

Exactly. And FFXI had a monthly fee on PS2 and PC, so why wouldn't it on the 360?

Having Live doesn't mean there won't be monthly fees.

Live fees go to microsoft. The developers still want their subscription fees I'm sure.
 

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
Well that sucks. I've been critical of Microsoft in the past, but I thought they had their heads on straight when it came to online play - the one area in which I thought they excelled (i.e. only pay 1 monthly fee to play all games online!!)
 

munkle

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
11,800
its not ms charging the fee for the mmo, lets say blizzard did put wow on 360, well blizzard isnt going to take the hit it costs to run the online servers so they are going to charge you a fee along with the fee ms charges for live, now if you have to have a paid live account to play a mmo that you pay for i dont know.
 

mETRo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
1,045
steviep said:
Well that sucks. I've been critical of Microsoft in the past, but I thought they had their heads on straight when it came to online play - the one area in which I thought they excelled (i.e. only pay 1 monthly fee to play all games online!!)


They do excel at it, aside from the one or maybe two games that won't follow the traditional Xbox Live foundation the bottom line is no one can touch MS's online console service with a ten foot pole.
 

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
We'll see what Nintendo's free centralized service has to offer, when it's fully unveiled.

Though, as I said, I thought since it was centralized (UNLIKE the playstation brand!), that it was MS' responsibility to run the damn servers, and swallow the cost with their subscription fee! That sucks... That almost ruins it for me - I thought it was the 1 good online system this gen, where 1 fee got you everything. I thought it was only the PS2 that made you pay for certain games...
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
996
mETRo said:
They do excel at it, aside from the one or maybe two games that won't follow the traditional Xbox Live foundation the bottom line is no one can touch MS's online console service with a ten foot pole.

Actually, PC multiplayer gaming (mmo's aside) is completely free and most games have filters so you can play on non-dial up (ie less lag) servers if you want.

PC multiplayer still owns Xbox Live.
 

diehard

Gawd
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
718
rfwinters77 said:
PC multiplayer still owns Xbox Live.
In terms of features, ease of use, and the ability to play with guests over at my house, i could'nt disagree more.
 

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
26,790
Star Wars Galaxies is attempting to change the interface that would seem more console friendly...it completely wrecked the game :rolleyes:
 

ameoba

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 9, 2001
Messages
6,413
steviep said:
Well that sucks. I've been critical of Microsoft in the past, but I thought they had their heads on straight when it came to online play - the one area in which I thought they excelled (i.e. only pay 1 monthly fee to play all games online!!)

Too bad you're paying a monthly fee to get access to a server browser + play games hosted on somebody else's XBox...
 

WorldRunner

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
454
ameoba said:
Too bad you're paying a monthly fee to get access to a server browser + play games hosted on somebody else's XBox...

Most people who use XBL regularly agree that the fee is worth it. The fact that you can talk to friends, see their high scores, achivements, and obviously connect with them to play any game is worth it. The arcade is great and is worth the additional fee for those games too. IMO obviously.
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
996
diehard said:
In terms of features, ease of use, and the ability to play with guests over at my house, i could'nt disagree more.

I consider multiplayer purely online. So your "guests over at my house comment" doesn't really apply since that's more of a lan party. :)
 

Obi_Kwiet

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
3,858
diehard said:
In terms of features, ease of use, and the ability to play with guests over at my house, i could'nt disagree more.


Ease of use, yes Features.. just no. Absolutely no.
 
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
804
with all the hard drive and video card overheating reports due to prolonged play on 360, how are people possibly going to go on the normal 24, 48 hour marathons that all true MMORPG players have to log?
 

ZX6Master

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
504
Obi_Kwiet said:
Ease of use, yes Features.. just no. Absolutely no.

Features? Yes. Ability to group up and carry your friends automatically from game to game? yes. Ability to contact people even when they're not playing the same game? Yes. Ability to contact people when they're not even playing a game? Yes. Automatic content download, if desired? Yes. Streaming music from third-party electronics to play as in-game music (In every single game)? Yes.

Perhaps you would like to make a list of features that you feel are missing from Xbox Live...so that they may be disproven yet again.

Then there is the fact that every single person who has Xbox Live has the ability to do all this. Believe it or not, there are still people who don't use Xfire. Even those that due still have to find the correct Teamspeak/Ventrillo server if they actually want to talk to people while playing. No collaborating with friends to get them to your server. No Alt+Tab to get to Xfire to talk to them. No joining and rejoining games to find ones that are populated but that have enough spots for you and your friends.

PC fans bring these same, tried-but-untrue arguments into every single Xbox Live thread in every forum I've ever been in. Unfortunately, ~99% of them have never even tried Live so they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

phoderpants; I've let my X360 run for around ~14 hours before. Not a single problem. Then again, I used basic common sense and put it on top of my shelf instead of sitting it on carpet (Read: Insulation).
 
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
804
ZX6Master said:
*

phoderpants; I've let my X360 run for around ~14 hours before. Not a single problem. Then again, I used basic common sense and put it on top of my shelf instead of sitting it on carpet (Read: Insulation).

ha, yeah. i bet a lot of the people that have reported problems are playing with their 360 wrapped in a blanket still in the box to keep it from getting scratched. ha
 

polydiol

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Messages
1,428
FFXI = CRAP.

i feel sorry for any sap that gets sucked up into thinking that game is actually fun.
 

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
polydiol said:
FFXI = CRAP.

i feel sorry for any sap that gets sucked up into thinking that game is actually fun.
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. The FF series has lost it a bit, IMO. It's still not really shitty like some other franchises have gotten, or have been from the beginning... but it's not in the toilet just yet.

ZX6Master, how come the XBox Live penetration is less than 15% of total sold systems?
 

ZX6Master

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
504
steviep said:
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. The FF series has lost it a bit, IMO. It's still not really shitty like some other franchises have gotten, or have been from the beginning... but it's not in the toilet just yet.

ZX6Master, how come the XBox Live penetration is less than 15% of total sold systems?

The initial fee.

That doesn't change the fact that Xbox Live is full of useful and unique features. A one-month Gold trial comes with every Xbox 360. Expect the number of subscriptions to increase significantly.
 

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,985
We'll see. I doubt the number will surpass 30% though. Remember, it still costs money after the free trial runs out.
 

ZX6Master

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2005
Messages
504
The point is that people don't realize what they're missing. This gives them a taste, much like MMO developers do (Free trials and such).

Xbox Live Silver is genius as well. It lets people see what they're missing (You can build and maintain a friends list, but you can't play online). That means that people are going to see their friends online and feel left out, which will make them more likely to subscribe just to get in on the action (Where with the previous set-up, people couldn't even tell when their friends were or were not online if they didn't have a subscription).
 
Top