X299 and VROC - Anyone have it working?

Faikius

n00b
Running a 7820x on a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 9, along with two Samsung 960 SSDs. Drives are populated based on the suggested configuration for VROC and after trying everything I can find online it's a no go. I can get the VROC menu to come up in BIOS but all that's listed in the menu is "No VMD Controllers detected".

Thoughts?

Last edited:
For anyone curious, finally got an official response from Gigabyte Support. An Intel VROC key is required to enable any / all VROC functionality.

Yes, for M2M_32G to be used in RAID setup require VROC function and VROC function is required to have Intel VROC key installed.

Best Regards,

GIGABYTE Technical Support Team

Lame.

Per Gigabyte, you have to have the key even for RAID 0.

Have an 7820x, and two Samsung NVMe SSDs. Nada.

Intel is doing everything they can to keep people from abandoning the Xeon server/workstation $$$ where they can by either nickel and dimming you compared to the full Xeon costs or by hobbling the CPU/chipset (arbitrarily cutting down PCIe lanes for example.) For the first time in a LONG time AMD has products that are comparable (if not on a per watt/clock level, at least on a price/performance level) and intel is trying to tackle threadripper without gutting their lower end Xeon $$$

Intel is doing everything they can to keep people from abandoning the Xeon server/workstation $$$ where they can by either nickel and dimming you compared to the full Xeon costs or by hobbling the CPU/chipset (arbitrarily cutting down PCIe lanes for example.) For the first time in a LONG time AMD has products that are comparable (if not on a per watt/clock level, at least on a price/performance level) and intel is trying to tackle threadripper without gutting their lower end Xeon $$$

Pretty much this. I almost went AMD with this build for the first time; VROC swayed me. Had I known...

Back