x230t used with dual 1920x1200 monitors?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it possible at all to run a Thinkpad x230t with dual 1920x1200 monitors?

I know the HD4000 graphics support 3 display configurations, so I would think any current Ivy powered X230t would be able to (though one external would have to be connected via VGA)...But I don't have one sitting here to test empirically.

Hmm, it's that's a good sign. Hmm, I've asked Lenovo support about this but they end up just not responding anymore when I ask this question :mad:.

I very much want to buy the notebook/tablet, but to make it my desktop replacement I need to be sure it supports both my monitors.

Yes.

You need a DisplayPort monitor though. Actually come to think of it, you don't... it's a DP++ port, so you can go with a cheap SL-DVI/HDMI adapter and it'll work. See this.

In case anyone is wondering still, you can only drive two monitors at any given time with the X230t. So VGA and DP++ output can be active at the same time but the main laptop display would need to be off. Lame.

In case anyone is wondering still, you can only drive two monitors at any given time with the X230t. So VGA and DP++ output can be active at the same time but the main laptop display would need to be off. Lame.

Are you sure about that? With Ivy you should be able to drive 3 screens. I have an ivy laptop that runs 2 monitors + the internal LCD all at the same time.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I keep reading up on it and I have watched a few youtube videos confirming the same thing.

I tried the VGA + Displayport on my laptop and I have to shut the main screen off for it to work. Or I can have any combination of two displays but the third display will not go active at the same time.

The youtube video I saw shows the docking station VGA + Displayport working together for dual monitor but the onboard screen of the laptop is off. The guy then tried using the onboard VGA at the same time and that didn't work either.

There is an unconfirmed note that says if you use a docking station for VGA and Displayport then you can get the onboard Displayport to turn on but I have not seen it.

That being said, I was planning on using the onboard VGA + DP and the laptop screen all at the same time. It certainly doesn't work for me.

I did not test with an X230t, but I do have access to T430 and T530, and both of them can drive 2x external monitors without turning off the internal display.

The HD4000 only supports 3 monitors if you use a wireless or the notebook has multiple display ports or if one or more of the ports is hooked straight into the dedicated cards like the MSIs.

I was chatting with a lenovo sales agent (not that I'm sure I believe them) but they claim the UltraBase 3 will allow me to use the two outputs (displayport and vga) on the base and still have video on the x230t itself. I ordered one and I'll let you know what I find.

I just tried the docking station:

docking station Displayport + VGA disables the main laptop screen
docking station VGA + laptop VGA does not work
Docking station VGA + laptop displayport disables the main screen

I can not get 3 monitors to work simultaneously.

What about docking port DP + laptop DP?

I need to get another displayport cable. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
I think the docking station has a mini display port on it. I might be able to try that tonight.

I just tried with the dock DP and Laptop DP and its a no go.

@Meaker
So my built in screen is LVDS.
My laptop does support WiDi.
When I go through the settings from the Intel link you sent I notice that my interface panel will only give me Primary Monitor and Secondary Monitor choices. I can't pick "3" displays like the guide says I should be able to.

It may be that the internal wiring of those ports is switched so effectively they are the same electrically as the 2 on the notebook.

Back