X1950XT AGP Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you see the fan it has? Hahaha. I bet that thing does a darn fine job of cooling it too. Hope it's quiet.

the fact is nice that you get highend cards in agp, but still i wouldnt spend money on it

I wonder how it performs compared to the PCI-e version on the best AGP mobo processors.

The retail price has not yet been set.....niether has the release date.

Would be good if they came out with a 512 version as well but I'm sure that will happen when other manufacturers introduce their respective models.

I was unsure of the x1950pro agp because of it's 12 pipe (36 shader) design and lower fill rate than my x800xtpe. This changes all that for me when it comes out with 512 megs of mem-ory. I'm all over this as my last upgrade for my aging agp rig.

I wanna see if NVidia come out with a competitive alternative to really shake things up (and reduce prices). I've got the X1950Pro in this rig but wouldn't mind a low-priced XT to place it then I could install the Pro in my sisters rig for her upgrade.

^ Doubt it, seeing as how the X1950pro agp costs roughly the same as the PCIe board.

I'm sure AGP is a bottleneck now. I remember articles during the X850/6800 generation. There was usually a 1-3% difference favoring PCI-e. It could be as high as 20% now.

The AGP and PCIe version of the x1950Pro trade blows according to Firingsquad's article. Considering AGP 8x has the same bandwith as an PCIe 8x slot, I don't think you're going to see a bottleneck for a while. Not that I don't think there's not going to be a performance difference between the AGP and PCIe version of the 1950XT, but it's not going to be huge I don't think. Probably the biggest limiting factor will be a slower CPU, as anyone buying one of these cards isn't going to have the latest and greatest CPU behind it.

I'm sure AGP is a bottleneck now. I remember articles during the X850/6800 generation. There was usually a 1-3% difference favoring PCI-e. It could be as high as 20% now.

no, you are not going to saturate 8x agp with a single card.

The industry likes to stay comfortably ahead with their interfaces. They switched away from AGP nice and early so they wouldn't have to deal with bottlenecking. Nobody forced the enthusiast community to sensationalize it by acting as though there was some real performance difference between AGP and PCI-E, but they did anyway. When it looks like PCI-E might be a bottleneck in 3-5 years, they'll ditch that, too.

In any case, I think you might run into some bottlenecking on a single card with AGP if that card were an 8800 GTX, but otherwise no.

Just when I was about to head out and get x1950 Pro I see this post...

Sigh...

LOL! Same here. I had been holding off on an HIS X1950 Pro AGP due to needing a power connector converter (since my PSU is a 4-pin), and not happy with any of the ones I had been reading about. However, the GeCube appears to come with a connector converter, if I'm reading the accessories correctly.

I wonder how it performs compared to the PCI-e version on the best AGP mobo processors.

You can buy an AGP Core 2 mobo. I would like to see it benched with an e6600 maybe that will shut up the "AGP is dead" Crowd when they see an AGP card performs the same...

The fan size is rediculus! Wow amd whats wrong with you guys now?! Probibly by the time that comes out Im going pcie so I can go with NVIDIA not with lame o ati(sorry !!!!!!) Right now I have a ati firegl x3 256 card, its doing pretty good but won't last me for now.

You can buy an AGP Core 2 mobo. I would like to see it benched with an e6600 maybe that will shut up the "AGP is dead" Crowd when they see an AGP card performs the same...

Yeah, but lets see any agp solution match a pci-e core 2 duo board with 7900gtx/x1950xtx/8800gts/gtx...

There's too many hurdles for agp to survive now, being lack of high end cards (if they do come out, they are already dated and not top end anymore), and usually expensive. Not saying its a good thing or right, but it is. Like, good agp cards? We have 7600gt (not really top end), 7800gs, x1950pro, and then maybe this x1950xt. PCI-E has way more choices for your money.

AGP just refuses to die.
Because there is NO reason it should....none, nada zip..zilch...
except if you really need to make people think they need new hardware so your profit can stay up......

Because there is NO reason it should....none, nada zip..zilch...
except if you really need to make people think they need new hardware so your profit can stay up......

I think there is a darn good reason.

I bought a new computer. It wasnt expensive, and I saved up awhile (and sold my old one), and it was really time to get a new one. 3 years is a good run for a computer.

Nowadays, there is a new standard, and the standard is PCI-E. Anybody buying a new computer has no reason to go agp, as most pci-e parts are cheaper (more massed produced, most likely). The reason agp is gonna go, is the new standard has been in place for quite some time now. It makes sense to support older technologies for awhile after the new standards come out, and they have done so with agp. But it's getting to the point where it really has been supported for long enough. Having two standards just doesnt benefit people as much as one, especially if it's newer and cheaper (cheaper per part, of course its not cheap to buy a whole new rig). Etc...I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this post, but its how i feel :)

I think there is a darn good reason.

I bought a new computer. It wasnt expensive, and I saved up awhile (and sold my old one), and it was really time to get a new one. 3 years is a good run for a computer.

Nowadays, there is a new standard, and the standard is PCI-E. Anybody buying a new computer has no reason to go agp, as most pci-e parts are cheaper (more massed produced, most likely). The reason agp is gonna go, is the new standard has been in place for quite some time now. It makes sense to support older technologies for awhile after the new standards come out, and they have done so with agp. But it's getting to the point where it really has been supported for long enough. Having two standards just doesnt benefit people as much as one, especially if it's newer and cheaper (cheaper per part, of course its not cheap to buy a whole new rig). Etc...I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this post, but its how i feel :)

No your right for the most part, Anyone buying a new computer would be stupid to go AGP thats not the issue. The issue is the millions of people still on AGP wanting a little more out of it before being shoved into the new tech. Having 2 standards at one time is perfectly normal it takes time for the old tech to be phased out, You can still buy standard DDR while DDR2 is the current standard, IDE drives are still being made even though SATA is the current standard etc. all were saying is why dont AGP get the same as every other old tech? Why did they release PCI-E and almost immediately stop production of AGP? This is not how the tech world works regardless of what the PCI-E zealots would have you believe.

I have never seen a new standard shoved on us this fast before and whats happening is the manufacturers are simply alienating a large group of their consumers and pissing alot of us off. Just because we dont spend as much money as the bleeding edge crowd does not mean we should be left in the dust like this.

AGP is still alive and fine. The only thing AGP is missing out on is the 8800's.. But as for everything else, Radeon X1300, X1650XT, 7600GT, 7800GS, 1950pro, etc, AGP still has high performance cards, up to the B+ letter grade range.

I think the reason why the prices are higher between buying a PCIe card vs AGP card, is because of the format for new video cards after whenever AGP was supposedly phased out (when Nvidia stated they would not be making anymore AGP cards), which was around the X850's I think?

So, video card manufacturers have to go through another process of converting the card into AGP. All new modern cards are created for Pci-e format nowdays, companies such as HIS, GeCUBE, XFX and whatever are taking an extra step in that process to bridge PCI-e schematics to AGP. That's why it costs a bit more. Not to mention extra testing to make sure it's working on AGP.

I don't think PCI-e(8x) has any advantage over AGP8x on a 1:1 ratio, from so many benchmarks it seemed that the differences were irrelevant. I see the hype now from the 16x bus vs 8x AGP is very similar to when AGP made the jump from revision 2 to 3, which was the jump from 4x to 8x. Then we saw in benchmarks the differences were not "doubled", which everyone was expecting. IMO it's the same thing going on here.. if AGP was probably bumped up to a revision 4 at 16x (slight alterations to the bus, but backwards compatible), PCI-e probably wouldn't even exist today.. And everyone would still be AGP'ers

Two pages and nobody mentioned any interest in the fact that the cooler is TEC powered?!

Quit bitching about AGP and lets see how those things overclock.

I just upgraded all my computer stuff maybe a year and a half ago, i like to try and get all of whats it's worth out of my system while it's running well.. I was in the process of getting the x1950, but now the XT model is out, looks like i'm gonna run with it.. HURRY :(

well... going off of those reviews, the things a damn power hog. 360W with the peltier cooler enabled, and 260W with it turned off. i dont think i could even run my system with that card in it.

oh ya, its also got a hefty price tag on it too. €229 is 300 USD.

well... going off of those reviews, the things a damn power hog. 360W with the peltier cooler enabled, and 260W with it turned off. i dont think i could even run my system with that card in it.

oh ya, its also got a hefty price tag on it too. €229 is 300 USD.

Still cheaper than the 7800GS when it was released.

Nice to see the AGP folks are still getting taken cared of.....
clap.gif

AGP is still alive and fine. The only thing AGP is missing out on is the 8800's.. But as for everything else, Radeon X1300, X1650XT, 7600GT, 7800GS, 1950pro, etc, AGP still has high performance cards, up to the B+ letter grade range.

I think the reason why the prices are higher between buying a PCIe card vs AGP card, is because of the format for new video cards after whenever AGP was supposedly phased out (when Nvidia stated they would not be making anymore AGP cards), which was around the X850's I think?

So, video card manufacturers have to go through another process of converting the card into AGP. All new modern cards are created for Pci-e format nowdays, companies such as HIS, GeCUBE, XFX and whatever are taking an extra step in that process to bridge PCI-e schematics to AGP. That's why it costs a bit more. Not to mention extra testing to make sure it's working on AGP.

I don't think PCI-e(8x) has any advantage over AGP8x on a 1:1 ratio, from so many benchmarks it seemed that the differences were irrelevant. I see the hype now from the 16x bus vs 8x AGP is very similar to when AGP made the jump from revision 2 to 3, which was the jump from 4x to 8x. Then we saw in benchmarks the differences were not "doubled", which everyone was expecting. IMO it's the same thing going on here.. if AGP was probably bumped up to a revision 4 at 16x (slight alterations to the bus, but backwards compatible), PCI-e probably wouldn't even exist today.. And everyone would still be AGP'ers

PCI-e Was designed with SLI and Crossfire in mind, notice no (I think) AGP crossfire or SLI cards. There is something different about them besides bandwith that allows the dual card configuration tocommunicate and stuff.

Also I really fail to see why a TEC cooling solution was needed lol.

PCI-e Was designed with SLI and Crossfire in mind, notice no (I think) AGP crossfire or SLI cards. There is something different about them besides bandwith that allows the dual card configuration tocommunicate and stuff.

Also I really fail to see why a TEC cooling solution was needed lol.

Actually, the next planned revision of AGP called for dual-slot configurations for SLI and Crossfire. PCI-E was planned more as a PCI replacement. It just so happens PCI-E has enough bandwidth for video cards. If "AGP 4" came out before PCI-E, I would bet video card makers would've adopted it rather than PCI-E.

If I get a chance I'll look up where I read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back