X1950: Best power for the dollar?

Acceptable_Risk

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been out of the loop for quite some time now and I'm putting together a new system. Just about everything I read points to the X1950 (I'm looking at the Pro) as the go-to card. So near as I can tell, there really isn't anything worth spending the money on between it and the 8800's.

Am I wrong here?

newegg routinely has the x1950 XT 256mb for around 150 and the 512mb for around 200. which are bar none the best bang for buck. getting any dx10 in this price range is useless because they cannot even come close to giving playable frame rates in dx 10 games, and also dont come close to the x1950 xt. if you can pick up a 7900 GTO or 7950 GT for under 200 that would also be comparable.

I've seen 8800 GTS 320MB cards for $250 AR that, depending on your resolution, would be a far better buy than the 512MB X1950 XT.

X1950s are easily the best card to get right now, if you plan to spend ~$225. As the owner of one myself (XTX), they're very solid cards and will keep you happy with games for at least a year or so, depending on what sort of settings you want to run.

The XT's are a bit spendy for my pocketbook, I think. I was really looking into the Pros. Are the 512 meg versions worth the extra money? I've seen the Sapphires for $160-ish and that's right about my price range but the $30 difference could go towards more worthy upgrades if it's not worth the extra.

yeah 512MB pro is pretty nice, wouldnt pay much more than 150 for one tough.

I have a 512 and very happy with it.... went from a 256 6800gt to it... never looked back BUT make sure you have a beefy enough power supply.. it wants a nuclear power station to power it..

If you've done research and know your budget then go with your gut. The 1950 pro should do you well if you know its limitations.

I really do like my X1950 XT... it used to go for like 160 or so but prices have been creeping back up again. You can still find a 512 mb model (don't settle for 256 mb) for 195 on New Egg, it's significantly faster than the Pro by a good third or so... but it costs a third as much more, too. Still nowhere close to the 8800 GTS'es which are about a hundred bucks more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241063

I've never heard of Gecube or HIS before. Are they respectable? My most recent video card is a Ti4200, so I've been out of the game for a while.

If you've done research and know your budget then go with your gut. The 1950 pro should do you well if you know its limitations.

Best advice ever. Not to bomb the thread, but its refreshing to find someone giving advice like this and not spouting "save your pennies and forget that trash! 8800 is the bare minimum to buy now!"

check out this site http://www.gpureview.com/ , lot of data to compare a cards performance that might help you .
About the 1950xt , its still good enough to run Bioshock at high settings at lower resolutions .

Back