X1900 XTX (and maybe XT) not liking drivers?

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had numerous hitches with my x1900 xtx system listed in my sig. It appears to be that the x1900xtx does not seem to like the ati drivers, which leads to many different BSODs (not only when playing games but also when doing other stressfull things like maya rendering, photoshop editing and sometimes even when just surfing the internet). The lockups also only happen after I have left my computer on for long periods of time (maybe this is because I hardly use the system but leave it on?). As far as OC'ing goes I can get good results from this system under phase and also obtain good benchmarking results, but the problems appear when the system is under normal use.

I am pretty sure it is the drivers as with the old driver (catalyst 6.4) other users also experienced glichty artifacts just before Windows started up. So far I have tried the official catalyst 6.3, 6.4, 6.5, 6.6 drivers and the omega driver based on 6.5 and I still end up getting BSODs and lockups.

I am also fairly confident that it is not the motherboard as I have swapped from the Asus A8N SLI (had lockups) to the DFI nf4 SLI (problems again). I also have tested using ocz rev2 3200 ram and the new ballistix z503.

It could be my cpu, or the cpu not working well with the graphics card. I have applied the windows dual core patch and no luck.

Ideas?

I have 2 X1900's and I have not had a problem besides the artifacts before start up. If you were running crossfire Id say it might be that as it is kind of buggy @ times, but with a single card you should not have any problems.

Is this after a clean install??? If not I would uninstall ATI software and use drive cleaner and try again. Honestly though its prolly not the X1900. If your pc crashes just surfing the web there is something else wrong.

D4hPr0 said:
Is this after a clean install??? If not I would uninstall ATI software and use drive cleaner and try again. Honestly though its prolly not the X1900. If your pc crashes just surfing the web there is something else wrong.
All the drivers are after clean installs using the ati uninstaller tool and driver cleaner pro. I have also tried two different windows installs and get the same problem. It may be something else in the system but I've individually tested just about everything I can think of. I believe it is my graphics card as - among other things - it does not seem to the run ATI Crytek demo correctly, with many textures missing.

On other forums I've seen that people have been having problems with ati drivers and nforce chipsets, so maybe this is the problem?

If its the actual driver crashing the system you should look @ your Event Viewer logs. It might shed some more light on things. Also disable VPU Recover in the ATI CCC.

Back