x1800xt 512mb vs. 7800gtx 256mb: Which Should I get for my next upgrade?

x1800xt 512mb vs. 7800gtx 256mb

• x1800xt 512mb

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • 7800gtx 256mb

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters

Seufari

Gawd
Hey, I am thinking of my next upgrade and am thinking about the x1800xt 512mb. My question is how does it stack up against the 7800 series cards. I'd like to decide between the 7800gtx 256mb and the x1800xt 512mb because they are now around the same price range. So which should I get and why

I would say go with the x1800xt because it has more to offer than the 7800gtx or 7900gt, outperforms them in many benchmarks, better performance in new games, better IQ and better AA and AF performance. But if heat noise and size are an issue go with the nVidia.

btw a quick search wouldnt hurt before starting a new thread, there was a quite a long Thread on this already :)

thanks for those links. I am going to go with the x1800xt. I'll leave this thread open for anyone else in a simliar situation.

i'm all for the x1800xt at that price. VS the 7900GT it's different. I'd say go for what's cheaper and availible. ATI hasn't let me down however recently. I've only had 1 ATI card but I find that to be better than the 3 dead GF cards i've had. Burn in hell Gainward and PNY. Shitty brands.

bboynitrous said:
i'm all for the x1800xt at that price. VS the 7900GT it's different. I'd say go for what's cheaper and availible. ATI hasn't let me down however recently. I've only had 1 ATI card but I find that to be better than the 3 dead GF cards i've had. Burn in hell Gainward and PNY. Shitty brands.

My gainward AGP 7800GS 512MB Bliss is working just fine :p

Terra...

Unfortuneatly, Newegg pulled their iloveati code before I was able to buy the x1800xt... :(

I picked up one for 299.. didn't get to use the code but still a good deal..

the x1800xt is a wayyy better deal at such a low price. It can be really noisy though. My 7900GT stays pretty quiet.

Guru3d shows both the X1800XT and 7900GT at 50db's. Seems they are the same to me.

fallguy said:
Guru3d shows both the X1800XT and 7900GT at 50db's. Seems they are the same to me.

Using dB's for noise is bad.
They should start using Sone's instead...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone

The sone is a unit of perceived loudness after a proposal of S. Smith Stevens in 1936. In acoustics, loudness is a subjective measure of the sound pressure. One sone is equivalent to 40 phons, which is defined as the loudness of a 1 kHz tone at 40 dB SPL. The number of sones to a phon was chosen so that a doubling of the number of sones sounds to the human ear like a doubling of the loudness, which also corresponds to increasing the sound pressure level by 10 dB, or increasing the sound pressure by a factor 3.16 (=). At frequencies other than 1 kHz, the measurement in sones must be calibrated according to the frequency response of human hearing, which is of course a subjective process. The study of apparent loudness is included in the topic of psychoacoustics.

To be fully precise, a measurement in sones must be qualified by the optional suffix G, which means that the loudness value is calculated from frequency groups, and by one of the two suffixes F (for free field) or D (for diffuse field).

A high picth 50dB sounds is more "annoying" than low picht 50 dB sound.

Terra...

I don't have a case on my PC and I don't have any problems with the noise. Even after hours of play the fan is only at about 40%. Doesn't really bother me that much, once i'm playing a game I don't notice.

Back