x1800xt 256mb edition

mrbay

Limp Gawd
I've looked all over the internet, but I haven't been able to find any reviews on this card. The reason I ask is because the 7900gt is around the same price, and I'm looking for an upgrade. The 512mb version of the x1800xt generally is faster than the 7900gt, but I would like to know how the 256mb version fares against it. If any of you own it and have benchmarks to show, that would be great. Thanks.

.________.
Anyone wanna help those who can't afford such high end stuff and give us a heads up on what we're missing out on by not purchasing the 512mb card?

If loud fans/high temps don't matter to you Then get the x1800xt. IF you like coolrunning, quiet components thent he 7900's are your friend. I am in a mATX setup so I need the quiet/cool/single slot desing of the 7900's, plus I'm partial to nVidia. As soon as I can sell off my 7800gt I'll be getting the 7900.

i've seen 7800GTX's and X1800's in cases, i can't tell the difference, if you run with your computer open, then i guess you could, but for me i can't tell a lick of difference in sound (other then boot up)

No, the question is regarding the capability of 256mb x1800xt. Everyone knows that the 512mb is a loud, but powerful.

Been wondering the same thing. I would take the 512xt, but since I don't have the cash, I am not sure whether to go for the 256xt or the 79gt. Any reviews out there or personal experiences?

I am particularly interested in how loud the 256xts are. I like a quiet system, and if they are as loud as the 512, then I will likely go with the gt.

OOh that's a close call. I would say that the 7900GT would have slightly better performance in more games and tie in the others. But ... The IQ advantage goes to the X1800XT 256. The only thing though Is that I have my doubts about HDR+AA working too well on the 256mb version it barely was playable on the 512MB X1800XT like around 43 fps or so on average and dipping lower during extreme moments. Either way at least it can do it. So I guess my suggestion is to consider what matters more for you amazing speed with awesome image quality(7900GT) or great speed with unbelievably awesome image quality (X1800XT)

Back