X1800 and x1900 more future proof, but will they last?

Shinryu

Limp Gawd
After thinking about it, people say the x1800 and x1900 is more suited to run games that are newer, but at the same time, I dont personally think these cards have a long lifespan, in history of gpu's the ones that run hot break quicker, and these cards are hot, not only that the warranties are only 1 year long thats very very small and not many resellers offer anything longer.

I am starting to feel unsafe with my purchase as I have hardly any protection when it comes to the future, I personally would like to keep this card for a year or 2 and then crossfire it when games become very demanding.

I would probably disagree with regards to the X1800, but as of now the X1900 series do look more future proof. The X1800 series as far as I can see won't have enough power to do HDR+AA with games like Oblivion, the X1900's might.

not only that the warranties are only 1 year long thats very very small and not many resellers offer anything longer.

I have 2 years warranty for my Sapphire XTX.

lucky to get 2 years I got a measly 1 year. lol dont appreciate the lifetime warranty until its gone lol

How can you really talk about any current consumer card on the market being more future proof than another is beyond me. There are two serious problems with that are argument:

1) DX10
2) HDCP

No current card support these two critical features, which will become big deals sooner rather than later I would say be the time Vista comes out.

I'm simply saying that at this point in time, not much in PC hardware has a shelf life beyond 6 months. New OS, new CPU architectures, new GPU architectures, new motherboard architectures. When everything like that is changing, anyone who is buying for longetivy is going to be disappointed quickly.

heatlesssun said:
How can you really talk about any current consumer card on the market being more future proof than another is beyond me. There are two serious problems with that are argument:

1) DX10
2) HDCP

No current card support these two critical features, which will become big deals sooner rather than later I would say be the time Vista comes out.

I'm simply saying that at this point in time, not much in PC hardware has a shelf life beyond 6 months. New OS, new CPU architectures, new GPU architectures, new motherboard architectures. When everything like that is changing, anyone who is buying for longetivy is going to be disappointed quickly.

If your the kind of person who wants ultra settings on every game forever the yea I will be disapointed. and in terms of future proofin I am just saying that a card that can produce higher frames with more demanding games and can do even better when certain settings aee on is good, dx10 will not properly be used until next year even later so I aint thinking about that.

There was a poll by Brent about HDCP and the result was that majority don´t even care if their 3D card can support HDCP.

Future proof is a joke for most of the H-er's here anyways as soon as something better comes along lots of people here will upgrade. But I do realize that there are a lot of people that don't upgrade all the time so getting your card to last is important to you. The only common thread that we have seen is raw power last. The more of it your card has, the longer you can use it, usally.

heatlesssun said:
1) DX10
2) HDCP

Partly true. Sure those features will be better known in a few years, but who will actually drop everything they are doing just to use them. Those that will, have other goals in mind. I give DX10 twice as long as it takes to become available to be visible in games. There is no way I will go for HDCP as soon as it becomes available, it will be far too expensive.

Heating issues aside, those cards are nothing special and don’t have any noteworthy lifespan worth arguing about. Like the other user said, you will just not be able to max everything out. Same goes for every other gaming card ever made.

Iv given up on the whole Graphic card glory,,, sticking with my 6600 till it burns in its uber overclocked state. It just gets silly and expensive.

Then again this has nothing to do with anything,,, oh well,,, just my 2 pesos

Well this video card market is becoming a pain in the &^&*). Instead of making a good card after a while, they are keep making some useless changes and changing cards every 6 months.

i personally dont think any card is particularly future proof. this time next year you will probably need Crossfire X1900's just to stay in the game. this industry moves to fast, and there are too many games that just dont make efficient use of resources.

the X1800 while its got some extra features the 7800 hasnt, is for all intents and purposes is the same if not slightly faster in terms of performance, but its not gonna have the horsepower to use these extra features too well later on

the X1900 has power by the bucket full but its not gonna be able to play games at 16x12+ with alll the whistles on for as long as youd hope

otispunkmeyer said:
i personally dont think any card is particularly future proof. this time next year you will probably need Crossfire X1900's just to stay in the game. this industry moves to fast, and there are too many games that just dont make efficient use of resources.

the X1800 while its got some extra features the 7800 hasnt, is for all intents and purposes is the same if not slightly faster in terms of performance, but its not gonna have the horsepower to use these extra features too well later on

the X1900 has power by the bucket full but its not gonna be able to play games at 16x12+ with alll the whistles on for as long as youd hope

QFT

That is why im waiting for Direct X 10. The way I see it, there is no point to get a 7900 or X1900. Sure they are fast for today games and awesome cards, but im more of a person who buys the best there when im going to buy something and then keep on pushing it for 2 to 4 years, by overclocking, lowering resolutions or graphical settings. Eye candy is nice and all, but im not rich enough to keep buying high end every 6 months to a year. And in these times, game engines are being developed that when they release no hardware can run it at max. I remember the times when hardware was getting faster and faster and that you could by a really good system and still play all your stuff on max for 1 to 2 years. Now software is exceeding hardware speeds so fast, that ATI, Nvidia, AMD and Intel is having a hard time getting products out to support these new age engines. At least with Direct X 10, I will be able to play alot of the Direct X 9 games at almost full eye candy and still take advantage of Direct X 10 shaders when games start coming out utilizing them. Hopefully Conroe will also narrow this gap between hardware and software. Another problem is that software engineers are trying to produce the best graphics possible and then release the game/engine. They dont bother optimizing there code that much these days. With techonologies like Dual Core, SLI and Crossfire, there is much more room to optimize your code so it is handle more efficiently. Developers these days like to release games and then release patches like 6 months later that offer dual core support and maybe some optimazations for dual graphic card setups.

Very true but to get from point A to point B there's alot of steps in between. I personnally think were not to far from point B.

It is to bad ATI and NV can't take more time and give us better performance between cards . these baby steps suck.

In the Cpu market guys are always talking about Value. I see no value in buying a new GPU every 6 months fact is its really stupid.

If you keep a cpu 3 years and buy a video card every 6 months = $3000. The 7800gtx512 being the exception = $4800. Than this same guy will say I bought a CPU for $200 and O/C to a $1000 level than goes on to talk about Bang for the Buck. LOL

Lazy_Moron said:
QFT

That is why im waiting for Direct X 10. The way I see it, there is no point to get a 7900 or X1900. Sure they are fast for today games and awesome cards, but im more of a person who buys the best there when im going to buy something and then keep on pushing it for 2 to 4 years, by overclocking, lowering resolutions or graphical settings. Eye candy is nice and all, but im not rich enough to keep buying high end every 6 months to a year. And in these times, game engines are being developed that when they release no hardware can run it at max. I remember the times when hardware was getting faster and faster and that you could by a really good system and still play all your stuff on max for 1 to 2 years. Now software is exceeding hardware speeds so fast, that ATI, Nvidia, AMD and Intel is having a hard time getting products out to support these new age engines. At least with Direct X 10, I will be able to play alot of the Direct X 9 games at almost full eye candy and still take advantage of Direct X 10 shaders when games start coming out utilizing them. Hopefully Conroe will also narrow this gap between hardware and software. Another problem is that software engineers are trying to produce the best graphics possible and then release the game/engine. They dont bother optimizing there code that much these days. With techonologies like Dual Core, SLI and Crossfire, there is much more room to optimize your code so it is handle more efficiently. Developers these days like to release games and then release patches like 6 months later that offer dual core support and maybe some optimazations for dual graphic card setups.

This guy right here knows what Bang for the buck is. Good comment

$BangforThe$ said:
This guy right here knows what Bang for the buck is. Good comment

Good point, the supposed capabilities of gpu's never really get met becuase of there laziness.

a-lamer said:
There was a poll by Brent about HDCP and the result was that majority don´t even care if their 3D card can support HDCP.

I am not sure I understand what your saying . But I for one Want HD movies on my PC . If I spend the money for a 30" LCD there will be movies I will want to see on that format.MY gaming sound system. AND setting right ontop of the screen . In a horrow or adventure movie should be extraordinary.

At the same time if me and my better half want to watch a HD movie on the big screen I can WIfi it to the TV and we can cuddle up and enjoy. and I don't have to go and buy a stand alone HD DVD player.

Back