X-Wing VM - Original Xwing Modded in Unity

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
Saw the video for this awesome project this weekend..

A group are working a remaking X-wing in the Unity game engine, this isn't a new game but they are simply re-engineering a new exe to work off the X-wing data files..

I loved playing X-Wing (keyboard only player at the time) and really hope this mods makes it to the end

http://www.moddb.com/mods/xwvm

from the video it looks like it has a good foothold as a remaster :)

I think they are on the right track about being an updated binary only and requiring you own the game already. Hopefully Disney leaves them be.

Looks really good too

I think anyone would love a Tie-Fighter remaster :)

I'm surprised Disney hasn't done something like what others have done with games like Homeworld, grim fandango, day of the tentacle etc..

Tie Fighter consistently is on the top games list and a remaster would no doubt sell quite well with minimal investment..

why do I remember xwing having WAY better music...like cd music? am I wron there?

why do I remember xwing having WAY better music...like cd music? am I wron there?

Nope it had a CD soundtrack on the disc. Well I know X-Wing V Tiefighter did. I remember popping in my CD player and listening to it.

Original xwing was midi. Later xwing cd (xw95)and collectors edition was red book audio (cd)

It had way better music than this period. Even without CD music, the midi sounded much better than the crap in this video.

It had way better music than this period. Even without CD music, the midi sounded much better than the crap in this video.

Well you have to remember that there is no "sound" to MIDI. It is electronic sheet music. So how it sounded on your system depends on the synthesizer your system had. This sounds like they are using some free samples to play it, which isn't going to sound very good.

Someone should make a Death Star simulator like Football Manager 2017 but manage Death star instead.

The orchestral Red Book audio CD soundtrack for X-Wing and Tie Fighter only sounded better in so far as they were ripped loops from the movie soundtracks. The MIDI soundtracks for these games were fully dynamic and reacted to the action on the screen (LucasArt's iMUSE system). The X-Wing music was largely the same themes used in the movies. In the case of Tie Fighter, the music was entirely different than the movies and much darker as well as more militaristic - none of this was recorded to the CD tracks on the Collector's Editions.

I'm deeply impressed because it really sounds like they got the reactive MIDI music working with the built-in Windows soft synth. If it works with that, than it should work with my Roland SoundCanvas just fine :)

FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2 have already been done via the FreeSpace Source Code Project (new Engine) and the FreeSapce Upgrade Project (new Graphics). You can find downloads and instructions/support at the HardLight Productions Forums.

Unless something drastic has changed, the last time I looked those mods were pretty unimpressive compared to what is being done with X-Wing in Unity.

Unless something drastic has changed, the last time I looked those mods were pretty unimpressive compared to what is being done with X-Wing in Unity.

I must respectfully disagree. The X-Wing project is indeed awesome and impressive and I by no means mean to detract from it, but the FreeSpace SCP has completely overhauled and modernized the engine for that game (available natively for Linux and MacOS as well as Windows). Graphically (using the upgraded graphics pack, of course) they are not even in the same league. I am very curious as to what you find to be less impressive about it? Their work has been used as the basis for a few other entirely different games...

I'm deeply impressed because it really sounds like they got the reactive MIDI music working with the built-in Windows soft synth. If it works with that, than it should work with my Roland SoundCanvas just fine :)

The iMuse MIDI has been put through various vst's and soft synths, then rendered to OGG. Our system then queues the sections exactly the same way as the original iMuse. We are looking into ways of playing the original MIDI as an option, so players can use soundfonts etc of their own.

Here is another video anyway (we realise bloom is still in need of some tweaks and that it is too much in places)

Back