X-Wing and Tie Fighter - GOG - Out Tomorrow!

That's right.

Are the redone versions included in this package?

Yeah, you get the 1994 original version and the 1998 redone version

Although I still prefer my collector cd-rom version over each of these, I wish they included that one...

reported different here http://www.maximumpc.com/star_wars_games_x-wing_and_tie_fighter_lands_gogcom_2014

Gamers are able to purchase and play Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition, Star Wars: Tie Fighter Special Edition, Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Secret of Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition will include the Star Wars: X-Wing Collector’s CD-ROM and all of the Tour of Duty expansions while Star Wars: TIE Fighter Special Edition will come with the Defender of the Empire expansion.

According to the GOG page for each...

Xwing =

• Includes STAR WARS™: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and all Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing in both - 1994 (DOS) and 1998 (Windows) versions!
TIE Fighter =

Includes STAR WARS™: TIE Fighter and STAR WARS™: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire, both 1994 (DOS) and 1998 (Windows) versions, and STAR WARS™: TIE Fighter - Enemies of the Empire 1998 (Windows).

Now, some of the confusion comes from there being both a "Collector's CD ROM" and "Collector's Series". A la Wikipedia...

Collector's CD-ROM — In 1994, after the release of Star Wars: TIE Fighter, X-Wing was re-released along with its expansion packs on CD-ROM. This edition includes various tweaks, bugfixes, easier versions of some old missions, improved graphics, redesigned cutscenes, bonus missions, and voice-overs for the mission briefings and the in-game radio messages. The in-flight engine is also upgraded to the one used in TIE Fighter, which is, in fact, an improved version of the original X-Wing engine, modified to support Gouraud shading and other rendering enhancements.
X-Wing Collector Series: — In 1998, X-Wing was re-released again on CD-ROM, this time as part of the Collector's Series, a compilation containing revamped versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter retrofitted with the Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter engine, which uses texture mapping instead of Gouraud shading, plus a cut-down version of Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter ("XvT"), called X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Flight School. This version of XvT was included to renew interest in the full-version of XvT, as it was doing poorly in stores at the time.

-

Given that they're talking about the 1998 versions being available on the GOG pages above, that suggests the "latest and best" versions of each, from the 1998 "Collector's Series" will be present. Thus, it seems GOG did the right thing and has the versions with the most content and best graphics available, as well as the original versions of each for purists.

Crap! I didn't notice that there were two different installers! I installed the old versions of both. :p

Anyone set up the 1998 versions with an X360 controller? Have an idea for proper keymapping that binds useful things to the controller keys and deals with any dead zones? While my X360 controller does seem to be recognized by Xwing 1998, (ie the left stick does move etc..) the bindings seem rather flawed (ie there's no roll etc..). Anyone figure out something that works for them?

bought. you get 2 games.

My bonus content:
TIE Fighter manual 3 MB
TIE FIghter The Stele Chronicles 9 MB
TIE Fighter reference card 1 MB
TIE Fighter Defender of the Empire strategy guide 40 MB

My bonus content:
TIE Fighter Collector's Edition manual 3 MB
TIE Fighter Collector's Edition strategy guide 123 MB
TIE Fighter Collector's Edition reference card 1 MB

Anyone set up the 1998 versions with an X360 controller? Have an idea for proper keymapping that binds useful things to the controller keys and deals with any dead zones? While my X360 controller does seem to be recognized by Xwing 1998, (ie the left stick does move etc..) the bindings seem rather flawed (ie there's no roll etc..). Anyone figure out something that works for them?

I was reading the neogaf xwing/tie fighter thread earlier. There is link the the first post of that thread that supposedly says how to set up console controllers w/ this game.

I was going to copy/paste it here but forgot before I left the house... and neogaf is blocked here at work.

This should be the thread, but I cant click it to make sure:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=920617

Thanks. I might try this.

Originally Posted by Doopliss

I'm using a joystick, but I'll make some suggestions. (This probably requires some extra button mapping software, as I doubt the games let you map functions to an axis.)

RT: Shoot! (joystick button 1)
RB: Switch weapon (w)
LT: Target ship in sights/keep held to roll (joystick button 2)
LB: Switch firing mode (x)

A: Next target (t)
B: Previous Target (y)
X: Target nearest enemy starfighter (r)
Y: Target incoming missile (spacebar)

Start: Open map (m)
Select: Enter hyperspace/end mission (h)

Left Stick Click: Toggle cockpit view (.)
Right Stick Click: Cycle shield position (s)

Right Stick Left: Adjust laser recharge rate (F9)
Right Stick Right: Adjust shield recharge rate (F10)
Right Stick Up: Transfer laser power to shields (')
Right Stick Down: Transfer shield power to lasers (;)

DPad Left: 33% throttle ([)
DPad Right: 66% throttle (])
DPad Up: Full Throttle (backspace)
DPad Down: 0% throttle (\)

I think that's all you really need for X-Wing, I'm not sure if TIE Fighter requires other functions. The biggest thing missing is +/-3% throttle. If you're playing with your keyboard accessible there's a few infrequently used functions you could free up to fit those in.

starting with XvT they had a Match speed to target button, you may want to look if they had that to the 1998 versions, that was the biggest button I used for speed matching when pursuing fighters

starting with XvT they had a Match speed to target button, you may want to look if they had that to the 1998 versions, that was the biggest button I used for speed matching when pursuing fighters

tie fighter does.

Can't wait to be the Emperor's Hand again.

I know this game was out of circulation until recently, but are there any texture packs I should be aware of?

Look up a project call xwing alliance upgrade. Or Xwa. They have done an almost complete rework of the xwing alliance models. They may be compatible with xwing 98 or tie 98 since it's basically the same engine. / set up

They just updated the Tie Fighter and X-Wing releases with the Collector's CD-ROM releases. Everyone who bought these games earlier will have the CD-ROM version automatically added to their accounts. These two games are also discounted for a limited time.

Tie Fighter
X-Wing

just a heads up - looks like Tie-fighter and the Lot are also available on steam and on sale as well.. dang must buy them all!!!

Does the Collector's CD version have a native Windows port or does it use DosBox like the floppy version?

Probably gonna pick up X-Wing and Tie Fighter to complete my collection.

Anyone know of mod similar to XWA Upgrade, except for XvsT?

Ah.. I imagine it runs like total ass in that case. :/

Haven't tried the 1995 version yet, but both the 1994 and 1998 versions that were first released run great for me on Win 8.1. I already did a complete play through of Tie Fighter on the 98 version. No issues at all.

Probably gonna pick up X-Wing and Tie Fighter to complete my collection.

Anyone know of mod similar to XWA Upgrade, except for XvsT?

I think some of the xwau models just copy over. Check their forums

Never had the chance to play them as a kid (90's child), my dad always had Macs only game I had the pleasure of playing was that god awful rebel assault game. Was playing Xwing vs Tie last night for about 5 hours and I really enjoyed it; the game play is awesome. The only other space Star wars space games I had were the Rogue squadron series and they were alright but lack the immersion of the old games. I'm playing it with a 360 controller and keyboard combo and it works great

Never had the chance to play them as a kid (90's child), my dad always had Macs only game I had the pleasure of playing was that god awful rebel assault game. Was playing Xwing vs Tie last night for about 5 hours and I really enjoyed it; the game play is awesome. The only other space Star wars space games I had were the Rogue squadron series and they were alright but lack the immersion of the old games. I'm playing it with a 360 controller and keyboard combo and it works great

can you post your xbox360 control schema? I played all the Xwing and Tie fighter (Floppies w00t!) with nothing but a keyboard way back then, and then XvT and XWA with my sidewinder ff but going to make another play through with my x360 controller on all of them

I'm just using the default plug and play control scheme, i haven't customized it.yet i'm still learning to play.

The crap sound quality and 'generic' CD audio were major downgrades going to the Tie Fighter Collector's CD edition from the original. Thankfully, both can be fixed with Tie Fighter Reconstructed. It doesn't fix the lack of iMUSE (so no dynamically changing music), but it's still one hell of an improvement.

That's a pretty cool video. Damn impressive that one guy did all that animation himself, and I like the style.

The crap sound quality and 'generic' CD audio were major downgrades going to the Tie Fighter Collector's CD edition from the original. Thankfully, both can be fixed with Tie Fighter Reconstructed. It doesn't fix the lack of iMUSE (so no dynamically changing music), but it's still one hell of an improvement.

nice info..
I was messing around in XWA last week and I actually got the Oculus Rift to work with the Xwing Alliance - after applying the XWAUpgrade it actually looks really good with the rift.

Back