X-Wing and Tie Fighter - GOG - Out Tomorrow!

hmm. part of me says do it

another part of me says i am too much of a graphics whore and it may ruin the nostalgia lol

although i played Xwing vs Tie fighter, not xwing or tie fighter

edit-

no B-wing in those earlier versions?

X-Wing had B-Wings in it.

I was 10 when TIE Fighter came out, and I played the hell out of that game and X-Wing. It was amazing for its time. I also read all the supporting material (back in the day when video games came with mini novels in the manual.) The golden age of LucasArts.

oh nice, now we just need a modder to update the graphics.

I saw this tonight and it got me tingling!!! :confused:

I loved theses games when they came out. I can't wait to try to play it again.

GOG has so many great games from when I was a young man. I've picked up Total Annihilation, Descent Freespace, and Freespace 2 all from GOG.

I really hope these are the "Collector's Series, 1998" of both Xwing and Tie Fighter. That is to say, not just with all the expansion packs, but the CD re-release for window (which I actually have around here) that use the updated "Xwing vs Tie Fighter" graphical engine, have CD audio improvements etc... These are different from the 1994 Collector's CD Rom version which updates Xwing with improvements from TieFighter's tech etc.. Info here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_X-Wing_(series)

I too would like to see Xwing vs Tie Fighter and Xwing Alliance as well!

These games are really excellent. i still have my copies from back in the day but if you like classic space shooters Tie Fighter is one of the best, X-Wing is good too but Tie Fighter does everything just one step better.

I believe the xwing upgrade project may work with some of the xvt. Have to see if they did any updates or if this is just a strict compatability release

Not only those sims, but also the classic adventures.... Grim Fandango too :) I loved Grim Fandango :)

Hmmm, may get them just to have them. I played these quite a bit back in the day

No fracking way! Consider me camping out overnight for release... Two of my favorite games of all time!

According to the blurb from Kotaku:

The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars™: TIE Fighter and Star Wars™: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire, both in the 1994 and 1998 versions!

The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and both Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing.

Awesome thanks OP, I couldn't get X wing to run anymore this should do the trick :)

Got my copies of x-wing and tie-fighter. work will not end soon enough today.

....Darn Rebel Scum!

What's the difference between the 1994 and 1998 versions of Tie Fighter?

graphics where updated is the biggest change

the 1998 version (also known as the Xwing collectors CDRom version) is the one you want to play - it is the one that uses the Xwing vs Tie fighter game engine which moved it from software rendering to hardware rendering, included CDaudio instead of midi etc..

I play the original Xwing (i even have my floppys working :) )on my DOS pc everynow and then still though :)

another part of me says i am too much of a graphics whore and it may ruin the nostalgia lol

Sitting in this camp right now. I really don't want to risk ruining the nostalgia.

Have there been any good, similar games released in the last 5 years or so? I'd love a modernized version of a game like XvT.

the 1998 version (also known as the Xwing collectors CDRom version) is the one you want to play - it is the one that uses the Xwing vs Tie fighter game engine which moved it from software rendering to hardware rendering, included CDaudio instead of midi etc..

TIE Fighter had the best original videogame soundtrack I've ever heard. Period. (referring to the iMuse GMIDI version from the original DOS releases) Wish the the XVT engine kept that instead of CDaudio. :-(

But these games finally seeing a GOG release after almost 20 years is awesomeness in itself. Space sims are truly back.

Awesome! Bought both, just have to find my flight stick. Still have my original copies but never play them - too lazy to set up DOSBox :\. Last time I set up Tie Fighter was 2007, graphics didn't bother me at all. Makes me want to install Xwing Alliance too.

I'd also love/hoping to see a XvT and Xwing Alliance release with working multiplayer. And a release of Rebellion, loved that game, it was years later that I found out how horrible the reviews were for it, but as a kid at that time, Star Wars could do no wrong.

Wait, X-wing and Tie Fighter was already re-released with all expansions as part of the X-wing collectors series CD-ROM. Updated to use the X-wing vs Tie Fighter graphics engine.

So what's new here? Last time I checked (about 3 years ago) I still could get them both to work on my then current PC.

I guess one of the benefits of Disney buying lucasfilm :)

I think it's rather the benefit of Star Citizen's eye opener reception.

I think it's rather the benefit of Star Citizen's eye opener reception.

now if only Disney decided to license all of SC's tech/work for a space sim and put it into a proper starwars Total overhaul with all the features of SC.

dont get me wrong i like the SC universe and will play the hell out of it.

but i would still like a Star wars total conversion at full studio quality with all the features we are expecting out of SC.

Just reskin this game with a modern engine and watch it sell. Why this hasn't been done is just infuriating. Such an easy payday.

Wait, X-wing and Tie Fighter was already re-released with all expansions as part of the X-wing collectors series CD-ROM. Updated to use the X-wing vs Tie Fighter graphics engine.

So what's new here? Last time I checked (about 3 years ago) I still could get them both to work on my then current PC.

GoG does a lot of work with the launchers to ensure legacy games work in modern Windows. Sometimes it's simply a DosBox shell, sometimes it's running the executable in a tweaked Compat Mode. But they support their games fully, and back with 30day money back. GoG takes the knucklehead legacy tweaking out of the picture.

I have a lot of CD-ROMs from the 90s. Some (even the Win95 games) are just hell on wheels to run in Win32/64. And I've replaced quite a few of them with GOG re-issues (Wing Commander, I-War 1 & 2, Descent, Enemy Engaged, Interstate '76) All of run smoothly- in Win64, even with UAC on.

GoG reselling X-W/TIE just means more can access and play it without pulling their hair out or jumping through ridiculous hoops. The $10 price is a little crazy for 20 year old games. (which is Disney's way of saying hello)

But it's X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

I'm not sure I'm all that pleased with this release. The 1994 version is the diskette version, not the Collector's CD-ROM version that was still DOS and still had the original MIDI music, but added a 640x480 in-flight graphics mode and a TON of speech.

Oh look, people agree with me.

EDIT: The DOS version is also jerky as all hell out of the box. Disappointed I'll apparently have to brush up on my DosBox conf editing skills if I want this to work well. Or just dig out my old dosbox.conf and my copy of the Collector's CD-ROM...

Very disappointing.

Last edited:
Good games like these don't depreciate like the server based crap today that you can't even play anymore because of no server support, but it is funny that in almost twenty years the price has only dropped $20. :) That was back when new games were only around $30 though.

Bought it, and I kinda regret it now. Trying to run this on 800x600 and it hurts my eyes. Those games are long gone, and we only have nostalgia after them. I stopped playing, because I now don't want to ruin my memories about how great it was in the days past.

It's like digging the corpse of your girlfriend and having sex with her, only because she sucked your dick like mad, when she was alive those 10 years ago.

I'm not sure I'm all that pleased with this release. The 1994 version is the diskette version, not the Collector's CD-ROM version that was still DOS and still had the original MIDI music, but added a 640x480 in-flight graphics mode and a TON of speech.

Oh look, people agree with me.

EDIT: The DOS version is also jerky as all hell out of the box. Disappointed I'll apparently have to brush up on my DosBox conf editing skills if I want this to work well. Or just dig out my old dosbox.conf and my copy of the Collector's CD-ROM...

Very disappointing.

Interesting. Is the 1998 version the one that was redone in the Alliance graphics engine?

I am considering picking this up but I too do not know how they will hold up.

Bought it, and I kinda regret it now. Trying to run this on 800x600 and it hurts my eyes. Those games are long gone, and we only have nostalgia after them. I stopped playing, because I now don't want to ruin my memories about how great it was in the days past.

It's like digging the corpse of your girlfriend and having sex with her, only because she sucked your dick like mad, when she was alive those 10 years ago.

I don't get this line of thinking. I still get a ton of fun playing even NES games.

Back