X-Star 27" : Fixable BLB.. or IPS (PLS) Glow?

texuspete00

Supreme [H]ardness
Well My x-star came in. I thought I might have some back light bleed in the top center, and "ips glow" in the bottom left, but maybe that is also backlight bleed? This picture looks bright, but yet somehow i think it understates bottom left corner issue.

wOjXX5F.jpg

Anyway I saw some BIG threads about taking these apart and fixing it. I'll be reading them. Overall image is still nice. I recently bought an HP Zr30w despite the threads the 27" were better for gaming. I don't have prior experience with IPS glow, but the corners were definitely "glowy" in black scenes in the corners on the HP. I might have expecting too much (basically no glow) so long as I got lucky on this one. So BLB or glow? I pretty much know the funky stuff up top is blb.

Last edited:
The patterning of the yellow leakage in the upper middle right section is indicative of the panel being pushed on by the frame. You could disassemble it and try to relieve said pressure.

The lighter coloring at the corners looks like glow. The split lighting in the middle of the top of the frame looks like BLB. You could try taking apart the bezel and internal panel assembly and putting some electrical tape around the inner frame to reduce light leak.

I broke it trying to do the tape mod. :(

While for most of the monitor, the metal frame went slightly over the panel edge, there was a gap there up top where I was experiencing back light bleed. While I do believe the bottom left corner is some glow, the metal frame was a bit separated there as well. I thought everything was going well. I was happy as a pig in shit applying tape, and putting it back together. I think I broke it separating the medal frame from the panel. I was too rough with it.

When I plugged it back in it had a single vertical line and flashing colors. When it flashed black, it looked like the mod did reduce the problems a bit, I think, had I not broken it in the process! :(

Sorry to hear you broke it. What settings do you have with the above picture? Backlight, Brightness, Contrast? Here is mine, very little IPS glow and I don't see any backlight bleeding, I can tell because backlight glow reduces the further you get away from the monitor and also will chage depending on your eye position

Back