X-Rite i1Display Pro $129 after MIR

Man i got one of these when they first came out.. :(

Noo I really need one to calibrated my new projector.. Just spent my free money on hard drives for the movie server fml..

Woo here's my Christmas present to myself. Now I can finally trust my monitors when I am working from home.

can i pay to borrow one from someone lol

X-Rite is a vendor I use at work. This price isn't that much more than wholesale.

That's a hell of a deal on an i1D3! I recommend ditching the included X-Rite software as it's not that great, ArgyllCMS w/ dispcalGUI is better and it's free.

If anyone is looking for calibration of video and has a powerful enough HTPC that you use as a source you can use it for 3DLUT color correction with madVR. Dedicated hardware devices that do 3DLUT color correction such as the eeColor LUT box and Lumagen's run ~$700 - $3600 or so. See:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1471169-madvr-argyllcms.html

Looks like it's dead so not that important now but for those who have used similar devices in the past, can bottom-of-the-barrel monitors / televisions benefit from these gadgets? Or are they better suited for more expensive monitors / televisions?

Looks like it's dead so not that important now but for those who have used similar devices in the past, can bottom-of-the-barrel monitors / televisions benefit from these gadgets? Or are they better suited for more expensive monitors / televisions?

It pretty much depends on how much you care and it's complicated...

Low end TV's and monitors usually don't have enough CMS (color management system) controls to really fine tune an image. At the very least the display needs 2 point greyscale and Hue Saturation Brightness (sometimes it's called RGB) control over the primaries (Red, Green, Blue) and Secondaries (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta). Color and Tint alone doesn't cut it. However there should be enough controls in low end stuff to correctly set Brightness (Black level), Contrast (White level & Light output), and the White temperature (6500k, at least flipping through cool, warm, neutral etc but not enough for fine tuning).

For PC monitor use ICC profiles can fix some things without hardware control (such as a laptop) but if the display is under saturated you're stuck to the limits of the monitor's gamut, color correction can subtract but not add. I'm not 100% on exactly what the ICC profiles can do other than I know they can correct the Greyscale, Gamma, White temp and I believe they have a limited amount of correction for Primaries (RGB). The problem is now you're limited to only the software that can take advantage of ICC profiles. Games supposedly don't and good luck finding out if a particular program does outside image editing software like Photoshop. I might have some of the properties of ICC profiles wrong, I'm not 100% sure but I know they can only correct 2DLUTs (LUT stands for Look Up Table) and that wasn't sufficient enough for my needs since one of my displays (Mits DLP) the color isn't linear through the saturation targets (that means say I correct 100% Red then 75%, 50%, 25%, 0% Red should fall in line but non linear displays don't) so I kinda quit learning about ICC profiles due to my display needing 3DLUT correction.

For Video use if your display can over saturate the gamut past REC709 standards and you have an HTPC powerful enough for madVR, ArgyllCMS w/ dispcalGUI will trim the gamut down to spec, fix gamma, etc. But this only applies to video content rendered with software that can use madVR like MPC-HC, JRiver, Mediabrowser, etc.

if someone wants to rent lmk. Mine's coming Monday.

Last edited:
It pretty much depends on how much you care and it's complicated...

Low end TV's and monitors usually don't have enough CMS (color management system) controls to really fine tune an image. At the very least the display needs 2 point greyscale and Hue Saturation Brightness (sometimes it's called RGB) control over the primaries (Red, Green, Blue) and Secondaries (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta). Color and Tint alone doesn't cut it. However there should be enough controls in low end stuff to correctly set Brightness (Black level), Contrast (White level & Light output), and the White temperature (6500k, at least flipping through cool, warm, neutral etc but not enough for fine tuning).

For PC monitor use ICC profiles can fix some things without hardware control (such as a laptop) but if the display is under saturated you're stuck to the limits of the monitor's gamut, color correction can subtract but not add. I'm not 100% on exactly what the ICC profiles can do other than I know they can correct the Greyscale, Gamma, White temp and I believe they have a limited amount of correction for Primaries (RGB). The problem is now you're limited to only the software that can take advantage of ICC profiles. Games supposedly don't and good luck finding out if a particular program does outside image editing software like Photoshop. I might have some of the properties of ICC profiles wrong, I'm not 100% sure but I know they can only correct 2DLUTs (LUT stands for Look Up Table) and that wasn't sufficient enough for my needs since one of my displays (Mits DLP) the color isn't linear through the saturation targets (that means say I correct 100% Red then 75%, 50%, 25%, 0% Red should fall in line but non linear displays don't) so I kinda quit learning about ICC profiles due to my display needing 3DLUT correction.

For Video use if your display can over saturate the gamut past REC709 standards and you have an HTPC powerful enough for madVR, ArgyllCMS w/ dispcalGUI will trim the gamut down to spec, fix gamma, etc. But this only applies to video content rendered with software that can use madVR like MPC-HC, JRiver, Mediabrowser, etc.

Thank you for the in-depth reply, I appreciate it. It looks like this thing would be overkill in my situation so I don't feel so bad for missing out lol.

Thanks again :)

Got the deal when I saw it here. Thanks! I'm going to use it on my PC, MacBook Pro, and HTPC. I have a question though. For my TV (Panasonic ZT Plasma) it's recommended to use CalMan because it's automated but it's too expensive. Are there free alternatives to calibrate TV with this product? Thanks!

Got the deal when I saw it here. Thanks! I'm going to use it on my PC, MacBook Pro, and HTPC. I have a question though. For my TV (Panasonic ZT Plasma) it's recommended to use CalMan because it's automated but it's too expensive. Are there free alternatives to calibrate TV with this product? Thanks!

That's really not that expensive (if it works well). I'm not sure what the going rate for calibration is, but 5 or 6 years ago, 300-500 wasn't that unusual. However, if it doesn't do adjustments at the service menu level, then it's not doing what the pros do.

For those looking to rent, I think photo rental shops generally rent monitor calibration units. I assume some will work on TVs too. I know Borrow Lenses has 2 or 3 options, which start around $40 for a week.

HCFR:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/

A Guide for HCFR, it's a little outdated and you'll have to find some Plasma specific information such as APL pattens:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

It's best to hit up AVSforum Display Calibration sub forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/

What's the best method to use this to calibrate a display for video work?

Just got mine today and calibrated my MacBook Pro Retina. Wow! What a difference! I always though that the Retina color was pretty accurate and looked great but the difference is very nice. The detail pops out now, stuff I didn't notice before in pictures. Even movies look great. The contrast improved a lot. Totally worth it. Can't wait to try it out some more.

Just got mine today and calibrated my MacBook Pro Retina. Wow! What a difference! I always though that the Retina color was pretty accurate and looked great but the difference is very nice. The detail pops out now, stuff I didn't notice before in pictures. Even movies look great. The contrast improved a lot. Totally worth it. Can't wait to try it out some more.

Yeah I was surprised to see the difference on my MacBook as well. I just assumed that for the price they'd have more standardized panels and decent preset profiles, but mine was too bright and fairly blue tinted. And my desktop monitors were insanely bright in comparison. It really helped make my TN panel look better since I get a much nicer range of contrast, rather than washed out darks and blown out highlights. I already feel like it's helped reduce some eye fatigue.

I was using 7800k temp and loved it. When it was set to 6500 (before my eyes adjusted) it was a shock.

Does anybody know why higher color temps seemingly have a better color representation on the graph it lists?

Just curious did you use the included software or one of the open source alternatives

Damnit, missed this. Need a calibrator fairly badly. I was going to settle for a Color Munki, this would be so much better, but now it's back to it's usual, twice the price, cost.

Back