X: Rebirth official thread.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
Anyone else picking this up? Comes out in a few hours.

I have never gave the X series a good go (I have x3 but never got into it really) but the anticipation of waiting for Star Citizen makes me want a space game to play and this one is looking good.

Here's a good video talking about the game and some of the neat things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCSprVVwRR0

The only drawback is that you can only pilot your one ship (you can still capture ships and acquire them into your group, but you only pilot your own ship).

However your ship features a full 3d cockpit (like Star Citizen) and your ship is customizable. So that's a trade off, I'd take a well done cockpit that's an actual physical cockpit you see and move around in rather then the usual "hud" cockpits we get in many space games.

The scale of this game looks amazing as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbL1p5vZpw

i'll be getting it most likely. not sure when tho - had a shit ton of bills recently so put myself in the money doghouse for a while.

Just a heads up (just tried the game for a few minutes), if you get a crash when going to start a new game and it pops up with a error and making a dump file, you can fix this by setting your audio quality to 16-bit/48000 (dvd quality).

I will be getting it for sure sometime today

Actually got my physical "limited edition" copy on Tuesday. Unfortunately since it's Steam activated, it wouldn't even let me install it. I'm at work now, so I'll have to wait until tonight to give it a try.

I've bought all the X games over the years, mainly to show support to Egosoft because they are about the only company that has been doing space flight games.

I'll be waiting to hear some [H]ard reviews.
Yeah, same here.

The game definitely looks awesome though and I'm digging the controller support so I can just sit back and get my space-sim on comfortably.

I'm really looking forward to reviews and mods for this game. I'm hoping there will be some awesome ship mods. I don't mind having only one ship. Someone just needs to make a Firefly mod.

Will buy when there are some decent Cyber-Monday discounts. Not sure if/when I'll actually have time to play it though, backlog is huge and I usually end up playing 15 minutes of World of Tanks before I turn in. :(

I feel like getting a space game, mostly to justify to my wife for a major PC upgrade. I am kinda thinking between this game and "Space Engineers" or whatever they called that. I would like to hear more about this game, though.

I played x2 and x3 a little bit and the controls were really awkward, just could not get used to the whole system and get a grasp on the systems that the game was being played on.
Mouse was also messed up, I mean moving the mouse up would basically emulate a keyboard press up. so when you moved the mouse in a circle nothing was smooth at all, it felt like I was constantly switching between up left down right at a fast pace. If they did not make the controls a bit more intuitive and fixed the mouse look to be smooth, I will not touch it.

I am kinda thinking between this game and "Space Engineers" or whatever they called that.

Space Engineers is like Minecraft in space, without the spiders and skeletons, and without resource gathering, and with flying spaceships, but the bottom line is that it's incredibly repetitive at this point. There are only so many panels you will place as Space Engineer before you lose interest. Rebirth is a much better bang for the buck.

Space Engineers is like Minecraft in space, without the spiders and skeletons, and without resource gathering, and with flying spaceships, but the bottom line is that it's incredibly repetitive at this point. There are only so many panels you will place as Space Engineer before you lose interest. Rebirth is a much better bang for the buck.

Hmmm... it sounds like there's no underlying goal or point to it, I guess. That stinks.

Hmmm... it sounds like there's no underlying goal or point to it, I guess. That stinks.

Well, it's alpha, so they may add more content later, but as of now it's very aimless (or some would say "open world").

Well, it's alpha, so they may add more content later, but as of now it's very aimless (or some would say "open world").

Eeeh.... not the same thing. In survival mode, Minecraft didn't have a "goal", but it had obstacles, such as surviving the monsters that come out at night. That's what interests me, an obstacle or a challenge to make it interesting. Those monsters are what makes the game interesting to me.

What's the input support supposed to be like for this game? Currently don't have a working joystick so curious to know what the controller and m/kb support is like.

I've purchased every game since X2 (and didn't have the time to finish them).. But i appreciate this developer and I want more space sim games like these to be made so this is a definite BUY for me.
The mods always make this an epic game.

P.S. you dont need a joystick, mouse and keyboard works just fine. But it does take you and hour to get used to the controls.

I've purchased every game since X2 (and didn't have the time to finish them).. But i appreciate this developer and I want more space sim games like these to be made so this is a definite BUY for me.
The mods always make this an epic game.

P.S. you dont need a joystick, mouse and keyboard works just fine. But it does take you and hour to get used to the controls.

No controller support?

Well i am stuck at work so i haven been able to try it, but apparently something is seriously wrong performance wise. mostly every one is getting 10-30 fps, on any setting. i talked to my friend and he is having this same issue as well.

And to top it off no one knows what's going on since their site is getting ddos'ed from the traffic.

I have to say so far as far as the controls go, the game works fine with a mouse and keyboard, it's easy to pilot your ship around.

You can strafe around with your w/s/a/d keys, you can use your mouse to move as well

It works similar to war thunder if anyone has played that.

The graphics in game are great, for inside your ship and the outside of stations and other things you come across, the scale is massive for some things.

However the inside (stations) and characters feel a bit "lifeless" in terms of animations. It's a minor thing as far as the scope of the game but it is a bit of a drawback.

I haven't played a lot really, but so far the performance is all over the map.

When the game started and you were first inside the cockpit, I was getting just 25'ish fps, but once I moved the ship around it shot up to 60'ish fps give or take some, and this is running at high on a 2600k, 580, and 8gb ram.

There is a level of detail distance slider and view distance that I didn't mess with, left them at default.

i get pretty messed up gpu utilization with my 290, it goes from 100 to 0 every second or so, never seen it do anything like that in bf4

Just a heads up (just tried the game for a few minutes), if you get a crash when going to start a new game and it pops up with a error and making a dump file, you can fix this by setting your audio quality to 16-bit/48000 (dvd quality).

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING...

Oh god, it's one of these games...Dead Rising 2 was the last one I played that required you to do this nonsense...seriously, can't people fucking program a game properly for PC anymore?

Might be a good idea to wait for a few patches before buying.

X Rebirth is a typical Egosoft game: complex, big, broken in all kinds of ways. I’ve been playing it a bit, as you probably expected. I’ll have a Wot I Think early next week, and you should at least wait until then before thinking about buying it, because thus far it’s been a bit of a mess. Here’s what the first few hours have taught me.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun Impressions

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING...

Oh god, it's one of these games...Dead Rising 2 was the last one I played that required you to do this nonsense...seriously, can't people fucking program a game properly for PC anymore?

This issue was fixed with a patch early this morning so you no longer have to do that.

This issue was fixed with a patch early this morning so you no longer have to do that.

Alright, good...that's just one of my peeves, such a stupid issue to have. Dead Rising 2 was a shitty console port, but there is ZERO excuse for this game.

Such a shame, this is getting pretty trashed everywhere for how unstable it is.

I'm definitely buying when they've smoothed things out first.

I have been stable in game so far but I'd wait for a few weeks before purchasing if you have already not done so.

i contacted the AMD Vice President, about getting bf4 promo taken care of for my 2 290's, and also let him know about the issue some people with amd 290's are having with the game, my utilization goes from 100% down to 0% every second.

so there is a good chance the amd driver team will be aware of rebirths issues and maybe help smooth things out with future driver updates. for AMD users

its hard to tell if its just the game or a combination of the game and lack of driver tweaks tword the game also. so maybe my email will bring rebirth to the attention of the driver team.

This about sums up the game...

SHOW ME YOUR SKILLS!
zgg3.jpg

i like how all the women are old and fugly. its like they put no effor tin character npc design at all

Looks like Egosoft gave us another holiday rush job like the original X3 release.

Being stuck with one ship already feels bad. I knew about this going in, but I didn't think I'd hate the ship as much as I do. It is just a horrible setup.

NPCs and walking around the bases should have been left out. I never saw that many fans actually requesting this feature. Seems like a lot of work for not much benefit (and like the old man head on the woman's body, it just looks stupid).

And I never thought I'd say this, but I want the X3 UI back. I didn't think they could actually make it worse, but somehow they did.

There is a dev responding to some posts on the Steam forums, and so far they haven't given me a lot of confidence. "Crashing while saving files? Make sure you have enough disk space." Yeah, I think the 80s tech support answers don't really cut it anymore.

I'll give it the rest of the weekend, but I have a feeling I'll be going back to X3 while I wait for SC to release.

Havent crashed yet for me, but design doesnt seem all there. Character design looks flat, interface doesnt seem polish, and seems like its missing a bunch of options to setup controls. Also crossfire doesn't seem to work correctly.

i would never expect crossfire to work properly until a driver update which adds a crossfire profile for the game.

Back