X: Rebirth is Coming! Yay!

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LabrDe4XJo0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/20/born-again-x-rebirth-announced/

Looks like a reboot of the X-Universe and it looks simply stunning. Are we finally getting a space sim that makes use of 2011 technology?

Hopefully Egosoft has improved their storytelling as the other X games were very "German" and cheesy feeling (voice acting was sub par) and also a bit cheap but they are a small studio. The games have always been the most beautiful space sims available to lovers of this genre.

Last edited:
Looks like a reboot of the X-Universe and it looks simply stunning. Are we finally getting a space sim that makes use of 2011 technology?

If their new engine can handle more than one cpu core there will be some freakin amazingly huge battles. After putting 100's of hours into the X universe I'm stoked about this game!

Looks great! Thanks for the links, the trailer looks amazing! European studios are really cranking up the heat and will start to grab bigger chunks of the market.
X2 and X3 were my holdovers for good space sims and this looks even better.
From the looks of it, they never stop developing and just keep adding new features to the engine.

I do hope that you don't need twin 580's to run the game with the trailer settings, but it would be nice if they had some sort of crazy super high res package for those that have them :)

Looks great! Thanks for the links, the trailer looks amazing! European studios are really cranking up the heat and will start to grab bigger chunks of the market.
X2 and X3 were my holdovers for good space sims and this looks even better.
From the looks of it, they never stop developing and just keep adding new features to the engine.

I do hope that you don't need twin 580's to run the game with the trailer settings, but it would be nice if they had some sort of crazy super high res package for those that have them :)

Eyefinity worked wonders in X3 IIRC.

Fantastic news. Hopefully it'll have a slightly more sane user interface. X2 and X3 were so clunky.

The X series continues to be the only videogame franchise I will pay full price for because I simply believe you have to support companies that make space sims.

I must have bought X3 like 3 separate times. I bought the retail box, I bought it on steam, and then I bought the X pack on steam again.

I'll have to keep my eye on this one. The previous X games were a bit too deep and steep for me. I loved the Freespace games and Freelancer. Maybe the shallow-minded like myself will get some space combat love? :D

The X series continues to be the only videogame franchise I will pay full price for because I simply believe you have to support companies that make space sims.

I must have bought X3 like 3 separate times. I bought the retail box, I bought it on steam, and then I bought the X pack on steam again.

Yep. Space sims are just too rare anymore. The X series has its flaws, but they are the only ones really trying it seems.

I'll have to keep my eye on this one. The previous X games were a bit too deep and steep for me. I loved the Freespace games and Freelancer. Maybe the shallow-minded like myself will get some space combat love? :D

They could have a combat only mode for the game, could be part of the main story, or could be like the tests that they set up.

Looks promising. I enjoyed the previous X games. Hopefully they'll continue their tradition of being very "moddable". The modding community in X2 and X3 especially was excellent.

I agree. I tend to like the simpler space combat games, with Freespace being my all time favorites. But this one does look graphically amazing.

Maybe they can have a working user interface this time. I want to love these games but could never get over some of the issues. One version I cannot even use a joystick because it fubars the menu system.

Maybe they can have a working user interface this time. I want to love these games but could never get over some of the issues. One version I cannot even use a joystick because it fubars the menu system.

Agreed. I got sucked into X3 pretty hardcore a few years ago, and I remember just learning the interface was a real pain. I think it took reading a newbie guide and installing the 'essential' mods to really get going. I'm one that absolutely loves depth and complexity in games, but having a totally unintuitive UI made it rather annoying.

:) I'm still waiting (likely forever) for MS to revive Freelancer, but the X series is something I will support for simply being a nice space sim :)

Fantastic news. Hopefully it'll have a slightly more sane user interface. X2 and X3 were so clunky.

Yeah, that's the main thing that prevented me from getting into X2/X3. I bought the X Series on sale on Steam awhile back but haven't really played much of them. Great concept but steep learning curve.

Hopefully this one will pull it together and be amazing.

Fuckin' A. Love this series. Wish they would have some sort of 64 player MP or something... or a combat MP with small number of systems and "capture the small galaxy" style play. Like X Wing vs Tie Fighter but more advanced.

Holy shit, the space sim genre isn't dead? Consider me happy :D. I own X3 (both of them) haven't played them though, even though I'm a huge Wing Commander fan.

Trailer looks quite decent. Never got into X because it sounded quite hardcore in terms of UI and micromanagement.

The GUI was the only thing that stopped me from playing the games. It was too complex when it didn't need to be. Other than that I loved the game, but never played it and it's just setting in my Steam list not being used because of said GUI. If they stream line it and make it useable for anyone besides weird German guys, then I will be happy.

If the graphics & gameplay meld really well, I'll get it. I own the X-SuperBox but I have yet to play any of them thoroughly.

Definitely looks good. Probably get it but end up hardly playing it like the other X games just because its a space sim. I miss Wing Commander.

Eve isn't a space sim it is a torture sim. I believe 99% of the people who try it can't even get into a ship for an initial spin much less do anything.

All for a Freelancer version of this game. I tried X3 but yeah, the UI sucks and requires more effort than I am willing to put into learning how to play.

Probably why I play the BF series mostly. No attention span after work.

I'm excited. I know I'll get flack for the following statement, but I'll say it anyway.

I never liked the whole time-manipulation aspect of traveling through the X universe. I'd much rather have a warp drive or some other form of space travel. I'm hoping thats something that changes.

Can't wait for more details . I really want a good space-sim, not sure why this isn't a more popular genre.

Eve isn't a space sim it is a torture sim. I believe 99% of the people who try it can't even get into a ship for an initial spin much less do anything.

All for a Freelancer version of this game. I tried X3 but yeah, the UI sucks and requires more effort than I am willing to put into learning how to play.

Probably why I play the BF series mostly. No attention span after work.

Eve is nothing compared to the X series imo. With the initial walk-through its pretty hard to go wrong on the basics of Eve.

What walk through? I will readily admit to being retarded but if you hold my hand I can walk pretty well.

What walk through? I will readily admit to being retarded but if you hold my hand I can walk pretty well.

After new char creation there is a in-game tutorial which should at least get you started imo. Just saying I found Eve to be a lot more user friendly and intuitive then the X series.

I am excited, but they need to work on accessibility and interface for sure.

I will probably provide some feedback for them over at the Egosoft forums sometime soon, but one of the things that really ticked me off about X3 is the management system for all of your assets. In getting thigns prepped and set-up for large scale operations I spent more time going through small, unadjustable lists of options and having to repeat the process X amount of times just to get the ball rolling. While I don't mind that kind of detail, it needs to be presented in a far more managable fashion. First of all, provide some advanced functionality. Move commands need not be so complicated - allow me to insert specific coordinates if I wish, but if I want to click a ship and tell it to move somewhere, it should not be a 1 minute long endavor through menus, I should be able to select on the sector map, and give it a destination like homeword X,Y, Z movement controlled by the mouse. The same goes for attack commands, they are needlessly complicated and the experience would be much better served if there was a way to simplify this aspect of the game.

Better fleet management options, better automation, easier to get into, easier to control. I loved the X3 games, but this is one area where it needs some serious work. A nice improvement to the GUI and having adjustable interfaces may not make it such a hassle to equip a ton of new ships, especially if there is a preset one can save for ships of a given type. Customizability wouldn't be bad either. It would be wicked to have your own logo (maybe even port one into the game) and have it be shown on all of your stations, ships and satellites. There really is a ton of potential for this game, so while I am excited, I hope they will fix the things necessary for this to be a real big hit

This is one game I will look forward to more than any game coming out this year, even skyrim. This will also give me an excuse to bring out my fully modded cougar hotas once again. Can't wait!

I sunk some heavy hours into the last X games and anticipate this one, hopefully it is more user friendly. I had to spend time on websites and forums just to figure half the crap out in the game.

Back