x.org 6.8.0 and ati

jpmkm

That Ain't Mayo On My Lip...
Fuck this shit. The only way I can run x.org 6.8.0 without hardlocking my system is to disable dri for my radeon 8500le. Without that, transparency and all that fancy stuff just runs slower than shit. Oh well. It is an extremely cutting edge release so I'm going to go back to 6.7 and give everyone a chance to catch up on everything. Has anyone had any luck with x.org 6.8.0 and ati's drivers?

having luck with Ati's drivers in general seems to be scarce. I don't have any ATI stuff though to check with.

It's not xorg, it's the ati crap.

I'm no !!!!!!, but right now, if you want a decent linux gui, nvidia is the way to go.

XOR != OR said:
It's not xorg, it's the ati crap.

I'm no !!!!!!, but right now, if you want a decent linux gui, nvidia is the way to go.
Oh I really wish I could go nvidia. I just don't have the money for that right now.

I have this aguement with soo many ppl ATi or nVidia. To be fare they are just competing companies at any one time one is better than the other until the other one caught up.

At teh mo for AGP slot ATi are the best. BUT for linux even an old Geforce3 is better than and ATi card on linux.

Anywho back on top. I have an nVidia card and not to rub it in but it is good.
Have a look at this

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=221085

ok it is for Gentoo but their forums are the best aroudn for linux.
For any Gentoo users out there reading this who is thinking abt upgrating to 6.8 make sure you put "xprint" into your make.conf - it is needed to compile the libXp.so libary - I forgot and loads of stuff stopped working (java for one).

anyway good luck with ATi and Xorg

Back