X-fi Xtreme Music & Battlefield2 question

Majeztik12

Limp Gawd
Tell me...is there truly an "audible" difference between "High" and "Ultra-High" in this game?

Majeztik12 said:
Tell me...is there truly an "audible" difference between "High" and "Ultra-High" in this game?

only thing audible to me is the screams and shouts about how much of a difference it is

There is an audible difference and no one has to scream or shout about it ;) High uses 64 voices and ultra high kicks this up to 128 voices. The only slow down is caused by trying to run Ultra and with CMSS Heaphone for Surround Sound. Since the Extreme Music can only buffer 2MB, it has to store sounds and etc... in system RAM.

In Ultra mode you hear a lot of players screaming and shouting as they die or give out orders. Mic FX is cool to for hearing the different locations of your team mates. You can also get Full Eax Environment from these voice sounds. Easily telling if the players are inside or out.

Donnie27

Donnie27 said:
The only slow down is caused by trying to run Ultra and with CMSS Heaphone for Surround Sound.

You mean this? No use these in headphone mode?

CMSS%203D%20in%20Headphone%20mode.JPG

Jodiuh said:
You mean this? No use these in headphone mode?

Yes and no. If you have a higher-end enough system like many of the P4's above 3GHz or 3000+ A64 with a 16 pipe video card (video card is just as important) it will matter less but the hit can be seen. Just the Frame rates drop from having a lot of Action, the hit for the extra sounds happens as well. Yes, use those features but only set the game's sound to High, not Ultra.

To the sound system, this is like using AF and AA on a video card, you'll need more on-board RAM. Once you get the full affect of the effects the sound card can produce, the other cards don't sound right anymore. That includes my Audigy 2 ZS sitting in my other rig accross the room playing through the same sound system.

Please note, newer drivers and etc. can change the results some are getting.

Donnie27

The only difference I've noticed "High" vs "Ultra High" is that:

a) Voice Chat seems a bit clearer. Not sure how to quantify this, but playing on EA Official servers it seems more distinct from the background noises (gunfire, shouting, commander yelling at you).

b) More sound effects. With Ultra High set, I can hear more sounds, and the audio positioning on screen seems proportional to where you'd expect the sound aka gunfire, screams to come from.

-E

MrE said:
T
b) More sound effects. With Ultra High set, I can hear more sounds, and the audio positioning on screen seems proportional to where you'd expect the sound aka gunfire, screams to come from.

Agreed.

I definately hear more sounds in the Ultra-High mode. They are usually background noises, like birds chirping, or other environmental noises.

J-Mag said:
Agreed.

I definately hear more sounds in the Ultra-High mode. They are usually background noises, like birds chirping, or other environmental noises.

wtf birds chirping....i dont think ive ever heard birds chirping in this game....wow
im running on high quality audio, with my audigy2 value....is it worth it to get the x-fi? just to hear birds chirping? LOLS

i kno theres more tha birds chirping...but wow

P3N1X0R said:
wtf birds chirping....i dont think ive ever heard birds chirping in this game....wow

Dude, you're missing out [H]ard. There's Blue Birds on maps like Strike at Karkland that sing sweet lullabyes to you as your head smacks the pavement from the friendly neighborhood sniper...

Jodiuh said:
Dude, you're missing out [H]ard. There's Blue Birds on maps like Strike at Karkland that sing sweet lullabyes to you as your head smacks the pavement from the friendly neighborhood sniper...

seriously....or is that a joke ;) cuz im a bit baked after playin some and im like huh? like the looney tunes birds after wiley coyote gets a boulder on him huh? LOL

Yeah we're messing with ya :p There are birds, but it's really a dissappointment as you turn around to shoot them, but they dont' die :(

hah, crazy, i didnt know that at all, obviously you cant SEE them, just hear them right?

Hmmmm....good question. I'm not sure. Ya know maybe it's another game, but I remember making a noise and hearing a bunch of bird's flock up...giving away your position.

Jodiuh said:
Hmmmm....good question. I'm not sure. Ya know maybe it's another game, but I remember making a noise and hearing a bunch of bird's flock up...giving away your position.
Hear and see. There are definately birds that you can spook up in this game, namely on the Mashtuur(sp?) map.

OOOOHHHHH YEA!!!!

your so right, i forgot about it!!! depending on what ur doin and where u walk/drive thru, i do see birds fly up and away, and it has given away a snipers position before, specifically in mashtur city, your right!! lols i havnt played the game since like...saturday...hardly anyt free time durin the week ya know....and ive only been playin SF....but you are right i remember that now!

P3N1X0R said:
hah, crazy, i didnt know that at all, obviously you cant SEE them, just hear them right?

Yeah the birds which flock up and reveal your position are a completely different entity than the new X-FI environmental noises. I just mentioned the birds because thats what popped into my head, since I haven't played much recently. There are definately more noises though like I think some background music when you get close to certain buildins, water noises, etc...

There's also the noise of n00bs being tied up and beat in the pow camps on the new sf maps.

Back