X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series or Onboard Audio? new headset?

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
Since my sound card is years old are the on board sound superior? not to sure what to use. I have an Aorus z390 pro board with ALC1220-VB sound chip. Im getting ready to buy a new headset for gaming currently im on a samson sr850 but looking for a new head set looking to spend no more than 200 any recommendations?

This is a fantastic setup for cheap.

Headphones – Phillips SHP9500 Headphones - $75
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9...eywords=philips+shp9500&qid=1586186314&sr=8-2
review: (NSFW language) (timestamp 5:55 for this headset and the modmic I recommend below)

Microphone – V-Moda modmic - $30
https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomP...eywords=philips+shp9500&qid=1586186314&sr=8-6

If you want a little upgrade consider the Philips X2-HR for about $150. (not worth twice the price over the SHP9500, but a tick better - still work with the V-Moda modmic)
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2HR...1&keywords=philips+x2hr&qid=1586820820&sr=8-3
review: (NSFW language)

I have both SHP9500 and the X2-HR. I’ve compared them side by side on a couple occasions. Like I said above the X2-HR and SHP9500 are both great and the sonic differences are very minor. If someone told me they actually used the same driver and the difference was only caused by the earpads difference and physical design, I would not be surprised. Both are great!

Both clearly beat anything from Sennheiser I've owned for price/performance, including HD595, HD600, HD650, Game-One, HD555, HD-535, etc. While the HD-600 and the HD-650 I own, might be a tiny tick better (MAYBE? MABYE NOT?) the proprietary cords on the sennheiser, and the lack of the ability to use the modmic, the build quality, and the high ohm rating for PC/portable use make the sennheiser an inferior choice for a gaming headset. I don't need my Sennheisers anymore, I used to recommend only Sennheiser. I'll now sell them when I get around to it and not miss them one bit.

I don't know what to say on the soundcard. I personally would only consider a add-on sound card on modern PCs if my onboard soundcard made static or hiss noise -- assuming you have a decent motherboard, the realtek soundcards are getting quite sufficient.

That said my onboard soundcard DOES make noise, so I have a USB C based sound card that is silent. Creative Super X-Fi. (which don't buy for the surround functionality - it sucks, but it is clean sound in just normal 2 channel stereo, and has way more amp capability than I need - it even works on my Sennheiser HD-650 (300ohm) just fine.)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Try it. No measurement in the world is going to tell you what sounds better to you.
Agreed. I have the Aorus Gaming 5 board with the ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio. It sounds really good to me, but that doesn't mean someone else would agree.

Both clearly beat anything from Sennheiser I've owned for price/performance, including HD595, HD600, HD650, Game-One, HD555, HD-535, etc. While the HD-600 and the HD-650 I own, might be a tiny tick better (MAYBE? MABYE NOT?)
As headphones and prices have evolved, it's hard to argue for any Sennheiser other than the Massdrop pair. They do have a unique presentation but they're not for everyone; still, my HD600 are staying right here mainly out of the balance / detail / comfort combination they represent.

the proprietary cords on the sennheiser, and the lack of the ability to use the modmic, the build quality, and the high ohm rating for PC/portable use make the sennheiser an inferior choice for a gaming headset.

I have custom cords on my HD600 and many others, but that connector being an issue in general is really a valid argument that applies to all headphones. Especially since they're not cheap, running anywhere from US$25 to US$100 depending on length and interconnect, before you get to stuff like aesthetics and audio cable snakeoilery.

I don't know what to say on the soundcard. I personally would only consider a add-on sound card on modern PCs if my onboard soundcard made static or hiss noise -- assuming you have a decent motherboard, the realtek soundcards are getting quite sufficient.

That said my onboard soundcard DOES make noise, so I have a USB C based sound card that is silent. Creative Super X-Fi. (which don't buy for the surround functionality - it sucks, but it is clean sound in just normal 2 channel stereo, and has way more amp capability than I need - it even works on my Sennheiser HD-650 (300ohm) just fine.)

External is where it's at if you're buying now. There are just too many variables that can ruin even the best onboard or internal setup.

That said, again, if what you have works, it's hard to argue against it. The biggest upgrade that can be made is with the headphones themselves, right?

Agreed. I have the Aorus Gaming 5 board with the ALC1220 120dB SNR HD Audio. It sounds really good to me, but that doesn't mean someone else would agree.
Have a similar solution on an Asus Z170 board. Powered my 250Ω DT880s and 300Ω HD600 cans more than well enough!

However, both sounded less lively that the external DAC/Amp solutions I've used. I'd chalk that up to the onboard solution being tuned for cheap headphones and speakers more than anything else, though that's definitely a personal opinion. Onboard definitely got loud enough and the noise floor was inaudible at my usage levels so for 'free', I can't complain ;).

I have both SHP9500 and the X2-HR. I’ve compared them side by side on a couple occasions. Like I said above the X2-HR and SHP9500 are both great and the sonic differences are very minor. If someone told me they actually used the same driver and the difference was only caused by the earpads difference and physical design, I would not be surprised. Both are great!
Saved this for last -- I can't really recommend against this setup objectively for gaming. Only consideration is that they're both open, and that may be something the OP should think about.

thanks for all the input. So i guess i was running a really old driver for my xfi card. i downloaded the latest one and now sound is so much better. i can hear positional audio in game bass is stronger overall sound is better. I ordered the sph9500 the moda mic is out of stock so as of now i just bought that cheap zalman mic. Thanks everyone for your input

alphaqforever247,

Consider letting the SHP9500 break in for a night playing on whatever music you deem normal at normal volumes before you give them a critical listening session. I generally think headphone drivers may need a little time to break in and loosen up the driver surround material. I know some say this is you getting used to it, vs. breaking in the 'speaker' - but I'm not listening during that time, so I throw that antidote out. I just put them on my desk and let them do their thing at a moderately loud, safe volume. When I come back the next day I usually like the sound incrementally better than when I listened to them out of the box.

Maybe placebo, who knows. It's really hard to measure headphone FR or sound quality for a layperson. I'll fully admit it may be nothing but superstition, but I do it, for the various headsets I've owned, and I think its of valuable enough advice to casually mention it here. :)

When I first heard the SHP9500 out of the box new, I thought what's all the rave about? These don't sound quite as good as my Sennheisers (just as I expected prior to hearing them, being a huge sennheiser fan for like 15 years), but I put it on my desk and let it play overnight, and then gave it a listening session the next day and came away quite impressed from that second session -- these $75 headphones, are at least equal to my $300 retail sennheisers, I then felt, and have felt ever since.

(Placebo? Couldn't tell you, but that's my take).

Which zalman mic did you pick up? If it doesn't attach to the headphones, I'd probably still encourage you to pick up the modmic at some point. It goes together with the SHP9500 like bread and butter. Just a fantastic setup for ~$100.

Last edited:
alphaqforever247,

Consider letting the SHP9500 break in for a night playing on whatever music you deem normal at normal volumes before you give them a critical listening session. I generally think headphone drivers may need a little time to break in and loosen up the driver surround material. I know some say this is you getting used to it, vs. breaking in the 'speaker' - but I'm not listening during that time, so I throw that antidote out. I just put them on my desk and let them do their thing at a moderately loud, safe volume. When I come back the next day I usually like the sound incrementally better than when I listened to them out of the box.

Maybe placebo, who knows. It's really hard to measure headphone FR or sound quality for a layperson. I'll fully admit it may be nothing but superstition, but I do it, for the various headsets I've owned, and I think its of valuable enough advice to casually mention it here. :)

When I first heard the SHP9500 out of the box new, I thought what's all the rave about? These don't sound quite as good as my Sennheisers (just as I expected prior to hearing them, being a huge sennheiser fan for like 15 years), but I put it on my desk and let it play overnight, and then gave it a listening session the next day and came away quite impressed from that second session -- these $75 headphones, are at least equal to my $300 retail sennheisers, I then felt, and have felt ever since.

(Placebo? Couldn't tell you, but that's my take).

Which zalman mic did you pick up? If it doesn't attach to the headphones, I'd probably still encourage you to pick up the modmic at some point. It goes together with the SHP9500 like bread and butter. Just a fantastic setup for ~$100.

Thanks for the tips. yeah once it gets in stock on amazon i will get the modmic. for now im just going to be using this zalman mic. does its job till then.

https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mi...d=1&keywords=zalman+mic&qid=1586933804&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back