X-Fi owners - Has the "max performance" install option worked well for you,or not?

jpinard

Limp Gawd
I'm just trying to get my system setup for the best performance possible. I found something interesting... there's only 2 more services that install when you go the full route vs. minimal (max performance) route. To be exact, it's these:

DLLML.EXE (2 instances)
VolPanel.exe

Now what's interesting to me, is in my previous testing... I found my performance DECREASED when I disabled all the Creative Labs services. It decreased in every benchmark I ran (3dMark 2001-2006 and PCMark 2004-2005 benches).

Now I could test everything with each version... minimal(max performance) vs. full install... but that would be moot if people are having issues with the minimal (max performance) install. So, thanks for the feedback!

Asus A8R-MVP
AMD FX-53
ATI X1900XT
Creative Labs X-Fi Xtrememusic
2 Gig 3200LL Patriot RAM

With a setup like yours I dont think you will notice any difference between the two. I can't on mine....

I did that, then found the DVD-Audio isnt installed, so I went with the standard full install and updated everything from the web...works fine.

Either way I don't think there is a performance hit.

I did the drivers from online, then just added the thx console. It lets me have the features I use.

serbiaNem said:
I did the drivers from online, then just added the thx console. It lets me have the features I use.

where'd you get the thx console? from the disc that came with the card? I haven't even put mine in..i just used the online drivers.

serbiaNem said:

From what I can tell... and based from my experiences when the driver CD didn't work... you can't download the equalizer? Is that still true? I figured out how to install from the CD, and did the full install. Gave me like 5 of 6 processes total... I don't like that, but I do like having 1 equalizer, for everything.

mdameron said:
From what I can tell... and based from my experiences when the driver CD didn't work... you can't download the equalizer? Is that still true? I figured out how to install from the CD, and did the full install. Gave me like 5 of 6 processes total... I don't like that, but I do like having 1 equalizer, for everything.

If you install straight from on-line I don't think you get everything like has been mentioned. Mayeb he dug in the CD and found the specific program to install separately? I see on the CD, there's a separate sub-directory for THX with it's own dedicated setup executable.

BBA said:
I did that, then found the DVD-Audio isnt installed, so I went with the standard full install and updated everything from the web...works fine.

Either way I don't think there is a performance hit.

You have other CD's with DVD-audio? I only have the sampler from my old Audigy... but loved how fantastic the sound is. I wish all music was recorded in that format (or is it?)...

mdameron said:

You can only download the creative audio console. The THX console allows you to set the bass redirection (crossover freq)/boost, tell it if the center is above or below the monitor, setup speaker distances/levels/angles, and test speakers. Fairly useful.

jpinard said:
You have other CD's with DVD-audio? I only have the sampler from my old Audigy... but loved how fantastic the sound is. I wish all music was recorded in that format (or is it?)...
It isn't, but a lot is.

Most music stores any more will have a 'DVD Audio' section.

And dual-format CDs will have have it, too. For example, Nine Inch Nail's "With Teeth" came with two formats - regular CD and DVD-Audio - in the same case.

Back