X-Fi or X-Meridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same point I made....:rolleyes:
Is a X-fi better for games? -It depends.

That could be said for anything though, video cards, CPU's, etc. The K8 beats the Core2Duo in ScienceMark, but it's still generally agreed upon that the Core2Duo is a better product. I don't think anyone, even Donnie, would say the X-Fi is better than the X-Meridian at every single game. But let's be realistic here, if gaming is a strong concern for a user, he probably shouldn't be looking at the X-Meridian. Just as someone who has a strong concern for audio quality in music probably shouldn't be looking at the X-Fi. Is it really that hard to acknowledge the strengths of each card?

I'm not saying that in some games the X-Meridian can match the X-Fi but I'm saying that in some games the X-Meridian can beat the X-Fi just like in some applications the Quadro FX beats the 8800GTX, it depends on the usage. I won't say that people who don't play EAX games aren't gamers. Personally I know some people who don't play many game titles but they play a same game title online everyday.

Semantics (match vs beat, please, obviously that is irrelevant to my point). Just answer the question, which card generally gives a better gaming experience?

Semantics (match vs beat, please, obviously that is irrelevant to my point). Just answer the question, which card generally gives a better gaming experience?

Answer my question first, which card is generally a better graphic processor, a Quadro FX or a 8800GTX?

Easy, since we are talking about the gaming experience, the 8800GTX.

I said generally, not which is a better gaming graphic processor. Btw for your question, easy, since all the games I play don't support EAX (Oblivion, GTR2, NFS Carbon), for me my X-Meridian is generally better for my games :D .

I said generally, not which is a better gaming graphic processor.

That's apples and oranges. We aren't talking about what is generally the better sound card (that's obviously too broad); we are talking about what sound card generally gives the better gaming experience. Which you still haven't answered. :confused:

That could be said for anything though, video cards, CPU's, etc. The K8 beats the Core2Duo in ScienceMark, but it's still generally agreed upon that the Core2Duo is a better product. I don't think anyone, even Donnie, would say the X-Fi is better than the X-Meridian at every single game. But let's be realistic here, if gaming is a strong concern for a user, he probably shouldn't be looking at the X-Meridian. Just as someone who has a strong concern for audio quality in music probably shouldn't be looking at the X-Fi. Is it really that hard to acknowledge the strengths of each card?

Well that is the point. If a person is all about gaming I never recommend a X-Meridian. I will usually say X-fi unless he has something against Creative Labs. I always recommend the card I think the user should be looking at.

Well that is the point. If a person is all about gaming I never recommend a X-Meridian. I will usually say X-fi unless he has something against Creative Labs. I always recommend the card I think the user should be looking at.

I've been getting the impression that certain people don't believe the X-Fi generally gives the best gaming experience versus other cards.

Actually I've recommended X-Fi quite a few times for people who want a better sound in games that will give X-Fi an advantage but certain people will just keep nagging about the greatness of X-Fi in games even if the game mentioned is clearly not an EAX game (post #85 onwards) :rolleyes:

Actually I've recommended X-Fi quite a few times for people who want a better sound in games that will give X-Fi an advantage but certain people will just keep nagging about the greatness of X-Fi in games even if the game mentioned is clearly not an EAX game (post #85 onwards) :rolleyes:

So is that the closest you'll ever come to saying that the X-Fi generally provides the best gaming experience?

alg's answer is not going to change the X-Fi. There are those here that can answer that question honestly (and who have no reason to object to doing so), and there are those that won't. Then there are those that evade the question with about as much grace as two ducks fucking.

His answer doesn't matter.

Basically now it still depends on the games that you play but if the Prelude will have the same sound quality as the X-Meridian then the answer is really simple, Prelude is the best card for GAMES :D

I don't believe calling people "fucking liars" and "full of shit" on a forum is the mark of a mature 50-year-old man, Donnie. Then again, if this is a means for you to vent your frustrations such that you don't end up beating your wife and kids on a daily basis, that's obviously a plus.
QUOTE]

Since you seem to be practicing selective reading, I was called a liar twice before I made that post, I was told I didn't link when I did, named only one game after give links to EAX and OpenAL lists.

Hahaha! I'm a pretty happy 50 year old and that's why I dis-ed your post and I stand by saying you were full of shit then, and even more full of shit now. Why else would you post something that lame to me? It's pretty laughable and so far beneath you that it doesn't piss me off, frustrate me or make me mad, it saddens me:(

That analogy is comparing two different aspects of video cards (gaming vs creation). We aren't comparing different aspects between the X-Fi and X-Meridian, we are merely comparing one (the gaming experience) aspect between them.

You are effectively saying that the X-Fi is not needed for some games, just like the 8800 Ultra is not needed to play Warcraft 3 (a simple X800 could do that). You're right, there are some situations that the X-Meridian can match the X-Fi (ie: games without OpenAL/EAX) just as there are situations that the X800 can match the 8800 Ultra (low resolutions, no aa/af, etc). But which video card would you say generally gives one the better gaming experience? Clearly the X800. :D :p Sure the experience varies from game to game, but I hope we can all agree that the X-Fi generally provides a better gaming experience than the X-Meridian. It's hard to argue otherwise. The fact is that I wouldn't describe the X-Meridian as a gaming oriented sound card, just as I wouldn't describe most of the X-Fi series as cards with high quality output. Each cards has their strengths, and for the X-Meridian, gaming really isn't one of them (it's at least not a selling point).

And frankly, here is an opportune moment to finally put this argument to rest so we can all move on. If one is looking for a decent gaming oriented sound card, the answer should be to invest in the X-Fi extreme music. If one is looking for a high quality sound card that can handle some light gaming, the answer should be to invest in a X-Meridian. End of year long arguments.

QFT! But sadly that's not good enough for them.

Originally Posted by EagleOne
after reading what you guys said about x meridan....im throwing my black cap terratek in the trash
i just ordered x meridan from newegg $169.
in the sofware of x meridan will it have reverb or any sound effects for music only ...im not a gammer
thanks

Donnie27 said:
You'll enjoy the card and its great for that use. I don't think anyone here ever said it wasn't.

For the 229th time!

Since you seem to be practicing selective reading, I was called a liar twice before I made that post
Oddly enough, throughout the thread, my browser only finds one instance of the word "liar", and it's interestingly preceded by the word "fucking". I don't believe my browser is selective in its search routine.

I'm a pretty happy 50 year old and that's why I dis-ed your post and I stand by saying you were full of shit then, and even more full of shit now.
You're free to feel however you wish. Your feelings about my posts are of no consequence to me, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back