X-Fi and Battlefield 2142

I've just installed an X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series card and i'm having some problems with it. Basically, if i try to select "Creative X-Fi" under the audio settings in Battlefield 2142, the game just crashes. I've tried re-installing both the game and audio drivers, but to know avail.

Any suggestions as to what i could try to solve this problem?

Thank you.

try putting sound quality to medium 1st
u can also try copying the openal32.dll from ur system32 folder- put it into your 2142 folder and rename it bfopenal.dll (rename the old one 1st)

i have x-fi extrememusic and these helped me

try putting sound quality to medium 1st
u can also try copying the openal32.dll from ur system32 folder- put it into your 2142 folder and rename it bfopenal.dll (rename the old one 1st)

i have x-fi extrememusic and these helped me

Thank you very much, i'll try these later. ;)

Hmm, that didn't work, ourfpshero. I have no idea what to do now; i mean, i spent £125 on a sound card and can't even get it to work properly in the game i play the most. :(

That's really weird. I've got the fatality pro gamer series and it's been pretty good with bf2142. Did you try it on "hardware" mode instead of of x-fi mode? Which x-fi drivers are you using? the ones on the CD or the newest ones off of the website? Also, are you playing in vista or xp?

Personally, I installed the drivers from the CD first and then updated to the most recent. So far so good. Maybe check EA's support knowledge base and forums.creative.com.

I'm running 32-bit Vista, and i've tried both the drivers that came with the CD and those on Creative's website. It works fine when i select "Hardware", but as soon as i click on "Creative X-Fi" it just crashes. I've also been having a lot of crashes in game, with my screen just going black. :(

I'll check the forums and see what i can find. Thank you for your help.

Hmm, actually I've been having similar problems with BF2142 in Vista with the X-Fi. The audio would cut out after a few minutes or the game would crash. I even installed the newest openAL with no success. In the past, I did get the the game to work fine in Vista but maybe there IS something wrong with the recent drivers. Anyway i got fed up and installed the game on the XP side of my duaboot just to avoid the frustration.

It could just be a problem with that game though. I played Rainbow Six Vegas the whole way through in Vista with no problems.

If you find anything out, do let us know.

If you find anything out, do let us know.

Will do! It won't be anytime soon but, when i reinstall Vista, i'm hoping some of my problems will clear themselves up. Any updates, and i'll post them here.

Oh and, does anybody else have any suggestions?

Are you sure you have it in GAME mode?

I know BF2 used to crash on me in XP if I left it in another mode and tried to crank the sound options.

Are you sure you have it in GAME mode?

I know BF2 used to crash on me in XP if I left it in another mode and tried to crank the sound options.

Yeah, it's definitely in Game mode. Is anybody else having the same problem as me? It seems like i keep getting hit with every undocumented problem available, making troubleshooting just about impossible because too few people are having the same problem for companies to give a damn.

Aha, i got it working. I uninstalled my graphics card drivers, sound card drivers and Battlefield 2142, used Driver Cleaner Pro and reinstalled everything again. Instead of installing the software that came on the Creative CD, or the drivers on their website, i used the YouP Pax Software Suite 2007. And, now, it doesn't crash when i select "Creative X-Fi" as the audio renderer in the audio options in Battlefield 2142.

Back