X-Com, Borderlands 2, and Chivalry 35% off on GMG

eh... 35% off is still not enough for the Xcom game, I feel dirty having gotten it when it came out.

eh... 35% off is still not enough for the Xcom game, I feel dirty having gotten it when it came out.

I notice the [H]forums seem a bit less enthusiastic about XCOM than the rabid Arstechnica thread, but the game is still pretty damn good, even if some people think it falls short of the lofty original. For what it's worth, I think XCOM EU is fantastic and have easily gotten my money's worth. Likewise my friend who used to place the original XCOM as one of his favorite games of all time prefers the newer game since it takes out much of the tedium/inventory management/etc of the original.

I notice the [H]forums seem a bit less enthusiastic about XCOM than the rabid Arstechnica thread, but the game is still pretty damn good, even if some people think it falls short of the lofty original. For what it's worth, I think XCOM EU is fantastic and have easily gotten my money's worth. Likewise my friend who used to place the original XCOM as one of his favorite games of all time prefers the newer game since it takes out much of the tedium/inventory management/etc of the original.

Well being as I'm older now, my attention span for games isn't quite what it used to be when Xcom originally came out. It's fun yeah, but it just didn't hold me at all, I got fairly far in it, then went to work during the week, and really had no desire to get back into it. I hate to say "it feels consolized" but the sad fact is it does. It's not like I'm console prejudice either but there were game mechanics that just seemed out of place, like the whole "You spot an alien, they get to instantly run for cover regardless of how far away cover happens to be". The little things piled up to make me just go "meh" on the game.

I hate to say "it feels consolized" but the sad fact is it does. It's not like I'm console prejudice either but there were game mechanics that just seemed out of place, like the whole "You spot an alien, they get to instantly run for cover regardless of how far away cover happens to be". The little things piled up to make me just go "meh" on the game.

As an old time X-Com fan I played through the EU campaign once but several of the details like those mentioned above did make sure that while I had fun it wasn't what I would call a great game. Of course I'm a bit of a grumpy old gamer and it's probably been at least a couple of years since I called any new release great. :cool:

Back