X-COM 2 Looks really good. Is it worth the $60

Great game, still a bit unoptimized, so prepare for some slowness from time to time or graphical weirdness. I just went through a full playthrough and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I need some time to reflect and think about whether or not I like it more than XCOM: EU/W, but it was a blast. It plays differently because of the different types of missions (many missions have a limited number of rounds before the objective expires), but it was great. I can't wait to see what the community comes up with since it's integrated with Steam Workshop.

The question the OP asks is an entirely fair one. Yes, XCOM 2 may be one hell of a game, but we still have XCOM EU/EW, a relatively recent game, still going on sale regularly for $7.5, and even if that game is, say, only 80% as good as XCOM 2, it still offers enough value that buying XCOM 2 won't be a pressing concern for many PC gamers. XCOM 2 is at the moment overpriced because Firaxis already has a very similar game on the market for much cheaper.

I will put it this way.

I got steam.. I live in East Europe and if I had to pay 60$ for a new game i would have to live under a damn bridge.

NO 60$ is overprice for EVERY game imo. I understand devs need to make for living and it cost to make games. I dislike piracy ( as a kid I did that im not proud of it so I now buy games from shop to redeem myself )

Is the game good ? YES. Is it worth to pay for it ? YES but not 60$ wait for a steam sale or look around for lower price

I will put it this way.

I got steam.. I live in East Europe and if I had to pay 60$ for a new game i would have to live under a damn bridge.

NO 60$ is overprice for EVERY game imo. I understand devs need to make for living and it cost to make games. I dislike piracy ( as a kid I did that im not proud of it so I now buy games from shop to redeem myself )

Is the game good ? YES. Is it worth to pay for it ? YES but not 60$ wait for a steam sale or look around for lower price

Unluckily in EU Steam makes $1=1 Euro, and 60 euro is too expensive. Luckily there are other, legal options to get those games. Lots of stores do sell boxed retail version or just digital edition for 40 euro.

Just finished, it was a blast and I loved having soldiers with their own personal style running around. Got bit by the Crysallid game-breaker on the final level when I took a break. Had to jump back a few autosaves and replay a bit.

3) Games had higher cost back then mainly because of production issues. Cartridges where expensive. Back then your $60 was going more towards the cost of the cartridge then development. Now your $60 is mostly going to advertising and marketing then development because production costs are insignificant by comparison.

If you honestly believe this, youre beyond naive. The cost to develop a AAA game has SIGNIFICANTLY increased. Coding in games now is significantly more complex, and significantly more time consuming than it used to be. Engines are better yes, but the API's are more complex and require more knowledge/time to utilize. Modeling takes more time than it used to, seriously i have no clue where you pulled this BS out of.

If you honestly believe this, youre beyond naive. The cost to develop a AAA game has SIGNIFICANTLY increased. Coding in games now is significantly more complex, and significantly more time consuming than it used to be. Engines are better yes, but the API's are more complex and require more knowledge/time to utilize. Modeling takes more time than it used to, seriously i have no clue where you pulled this BS out of.

Development costs are higher but once they're paid for its all money in the bank. Cart production costs where an ongoing cost.

Games also sell significantly more copies offsetting development costs by a great deal.

Cost to develop and cost to produce are two very different things. Perhaps before calling others naive you should consider what you're actually arguing first...

Development costs are higher but once they're paid for its all money in the bank. Cart production costs where an ongoing cost.

Games also sell significantly more copies offsetting development costs by a great deal.

Cost to develop and cost to produce are two very different things. Perhaps before calling others naive you should consider what you're actually arguing first...

Maybe you should keep your argument consistant. "Now your $60 is mostly going to advertising and marketing then development" has nothing to do with production costs

Maybe you should keep your argument consistant. "Now your $60 is mostly going to advertising and marketing then development" has nothing to do with production costs

Are you seeing that fact? I'm lost with what your point is supposed to be. Actual development costs are not as high as you seem to think. Publishers spend more on marketing the game than making it. This is generally true with all AAA titles.

thinking about it but a friend got it already and he told me he didn't like the arbitrary time limit that forces you to play aggressive, anyone got an opinion on that?
I sunk tons of hours into the first game and admittedly I am a "turtler" so the timers do grind my gears.

It really is a good game though, just make sure you throw out most of the tactics you learned in the first XCOM.

Saw that a patch came out yesterday. For those with performance issues, did it help?

Saw that a patch came out yesterday. For those with performance issues, did it help?
Cutscenes and transitions in the strategic layer are definitely smoother now, and the loading times seem shorter. I run with all options on medium on the sig rig.

Back