X-COM 2 Looks really good. Is it worth the $60

I Loved the original X-COM Enemy unknown. But not they are making it as though we lost in the other game and need to take back the world. I hope its awesome. Have anyone played it yet? If so what is your thought?

X-Com is like one of those feel-good PC franchise stories, where an old, quirky 1990's IP is re-imagined in the modern era EXACTLY how people would have wanted it to be done... like Fallout. I have yet to play ANY X-Com game, so please tell me if they are worth having.

No game is worth $60 to me, simply because you can often get it a week later for $40, and if you are OK with waiting a few months (and who can't wait, we all have huge Steam backlogs of games purchased but never played) then you can get it for pennies on the dollar.

Chumps pay $60 so that people like me can eventually grab it for $7.50, so please, by all means, be one of those day-one-purchase! dudes, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

I paid 45 for it off gmg, totally worth it for me. Loving it so far despite the bugs.

No game is worth $60 to me, simply because you can often get it a week later for $40, and if you are OK with waiting a few months (and who can't wait, we all have huge Steam backlogs of games purchased but never played) then you can get it for pennies on the dollar.

Chumps pay $60 so that people like me can eventually grab it for $7.50, so please, by all means, be one of those day-one-purchase! dudes, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

This attitude is ridiculous. You should be thanking people that are willing to buy games at or near full price. If no one did you wouldn't have any games to play.\

On topic: It's a good game with some annoying issues. Performance is a mess across the board. There seems to be a bunch of little bugs the people run into (though it's been pretty good for me). The abundant use of a limited turn timer is a big point of contention for people (there are mods to fix it but the mods are rather buggy at the moment from my experience). The hit percentage on shot still seems like it's not entirely accurate to how the RNG calculates hits. Outside of those issues though it is very fun. The pace of the game tries to make it feel tense and like every action you do counts. If you were big on turtling in EU/EW you will have to rethink your entire strategy.

Indeed... Thuleman sounds almost like those guys that laugh at paying customers when a game can be pirated.

Wow i didnt think i get so many response but thanks everyone for your input. I think i will get it sooner then later...

If customers where not willing to pay $60.00 for a game, then the game companies would reconsider there pricing structure. But with all the fools out there paying full price, there sight in near. They will keep charging outrages prices. It's just like any product you buy out there.

If customers where not willing to pay $60.00 for a game, then the game companies would reconsider there pricing structure. But with all the fools out there paying full price, there sight in near. They will keep charging outrages prices. It's just like any product you buy out there.

What make the prices "outrageous"? Games have been $40-50+ since the NES days when I started buying games with money from mowing lawns and other yard work for family members. Back the. I could now three lawns and buy a game. Three hours of my time for a game I would play for weeks, pretty good deal. I just can't fathom adults making anything over minimum wage thinking $60 for a new game is outrageous.

Its worth it if you are going to play it. I bought it simply because I got it for cheap.

Indeed... Thuleman sounds almost like those guys that laugh at paying customers when a game can be pirated.

Confirming that consumers who wait for deep discounts during Steam sales support piracy!
You Sir are a genius and your reasoning ability is bar none for having finally figured it out!

Please continue to keep paying $60 for a game so I can keep laughing all the way to the bank, I do appreciate that the money comes out of your pocket and not mine.

I'd rather be a chump than a cheapskate.
Besides, $60 to me is "chump"change, ya cheapskate.

:p

Last edited:
I wish it was priced at 60$ here .... they want 80$ CDN which is a no buy for me.

This attitude is ridiculous. You should be thanking people that are willing to buy games at or near full price. If no one did you wouldn't have any games to play.\

On topic: It's a good game with some annoying issues. Performance is a mess across the board. There seems to be a bunch of little bugs the people run into (though it's been pretty good for me). The abundant use of a limited turn timer is a big point of contention for people (there are mods to fix it but the mods are rather buggy at the moment from my experience). The hit percentage on shot still seems like it's not entirely accurate to how the RNG calculates hits. Outside of those issues though it is very fun. The pace of the game tries to make it feel tense and like every action you do counts. If you were big on turtling in EU/EW you will have to rethink your entire strategy.

This. I have had one CTD and a few stutters but by and large having fun. I'm maybe 5-6 missions in and finding all the changes to research and soldier handling but I'm enjoying it. I was one of those slow, methodical players in EU/EW; set em up, execute the plan, everybody goes home. Now, you have to get a little more aggressive on missions with the turn timer (at least 4 of the 6 I've seen, including a terror mission that had the aliens actively hunting humans). I feel like I've got to make more decisions that count now too, no screwing about wasting valuable scanning time or resources anymore.

Is it worth $60? I didnt pay that but I think it might be, especially if you like this style. I have a couple of hundred hours in the EU/EW so even if I had and got that kind of replay out of it then I think thats a win.

With all games, I wait a a year or two so they can be patched and I can buy them at $10. Personally I don't care if I get a game right away. The only exception would be something like WoW where getting the expansion at release is important to the game.

thinking about it but a friend got it already and he told me he didn't like the arbitrary time limit that forces you to play aggressive, anyone got an opinion on that?

Confirming that consumers who wait for deep discounts during Steam sales support piracy!
You Sir are a genius and your reasoning ability is bar none for having finally figured it out!

Please continue to keep paying $60 for a game so I can keep laughing all the way to the bank, I do appreciate that the money comes out of your pocket and not mine.

I am confused, do you not make enough money? I think I can sacrifice a couple of hours pay for a game that will entertain me for weeks.

thinking about it but a friend got it already and he told me he didn't like the arbitrary time limit that forces you to play aggressive, anyone got an opinion on that?

I don't mind it too much. It's how I played EU/EW anyway so it's not a big change. If you played slow and overwatched non-stop than it is radically different. Whether or not it's good will depend entirely upon your own personal opinion.

Just because someone values the game differently doesn't mean they're a chump, it just means that it's worth it to them to experience the game now rather than later. Pretty ridiculous to shame others for a personal value judgement.

Single player games to me unless there is a collectors edition with stuff I actually want are not worth paying full price to me. My steam backlog is big and I prioritize multiplayer.

If you don't have a steam backlog or if you want to play it day one then it may be worth $60 to you.

That being said I really enjoy the Xcom games and will be buying Xcom 2 just not for $60.

I am confused, do you not make enough money? I think I can sacrifice a couple of hours pay for a game that will entertain me for weeks.

There are some of us who have to put others first when it comes to money. Sure I could drop 80$ CDN on XCOM 2 but that money would be much better spent on an RESP or something for my young children. It is short sighted to believe that your personal financial position is indicative of everyone else's. Value is subjective and differs from person to person.

There are some of us who have to put others first when it comes to money. Sure I could drop 80$ CDN on XCOM 2 but that money would be much better spent on an RESP or something for my young children. It is short sighted to believe that your personal financial position is indicative of everyone else's. Value is subjective and differs from person to person.

This has nothing to do with finances and more to do with some guy thinking he's better than everyone else.

This has nothing to do with finances and more to do with some guy thinking he's better than everyone else.

... and you responded with ...

Inferring that the poster did not make enough money.

For me it's worth the $60. I put 20hrs in the game already. I play aggressive and but I get the mission done. There's always that one guy who panicked and get killed. :mad: Despite the jittery bug I'd give this game a 9/10.

For me it's worth the $60. I put 20hrs in the game already. I play aggressive and but I get the mission done. There's always that one guy who panicked and get killed. :mad: Despite the jittery bug I'd give this game a 9/10.

I've been lucky, I've had a soldier panic in a few different missions but twice the mofo ran to full cover, then turned around and shot the closest enemy in the face :D Once it was my sniper, she used the big ass handgun they carry to do the long range execution.

Yea, I live in Canada and the new game prices have me saying no too. I can afford $80.00 but it is past my psychological "Hell No" line so will never buy any game at that price.

You say you can, and I say that I don't have to. One of us keeps more disposable income in his pocket.

Winning an argument tied to income won't work on the Internet, we are all Physicians and Lawyers on here, some of us are both, and some can even prove it, which in the end proves nothing.

I don't have to spend $60 on a game because I know for a fact that I will be able to get it for less than $10 if I only wait. I have patience and spending $50 extra to get it today isn't worth it to me. Whether I play the game today, or buy it during the next Xmas sale makes no difference (unless it's an MMO or a pure multiplayer game).

I put 62 hours into XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and I paid $15.28 for it on May 12, 2013. The game was released on October 9, 2012. So I waited 7 months for a 75% discount, or a savings of roughly $45.

According to Steam I bought 22 games in 2015, and I rarely buy indie games, but let's just for giggles say that I saved $10 per game purchased (that will account for the odd indie game, some lower priced games, and some games where I didn't wait for 75% off), that's $220 saved by just waiting. All I had to do to "earn" $220 was to do nothing. Of course I think that those who don't wait are idiots, how can I not ...

No matter how much money you make, having $220 is better than not having it. I have never met a rich person who wasn't frugal.

You say you can, and I say that I don't have to. One of us keeps more disposable income in his pocket.

Winning an argument tied to income won't work on the Internet, we are all Physicians and Lawyers on here, some of us are both, and some can even prove it, which in the end proves nothing.

I don't have to spend $60 on a game because I know for a fact that I will be able to get it for less than $10 if I only wait. I have patience and spending $50 extra to get it today isn't worth it to me. Whether I play the game today, or buy it during the next Xmas sale makes no difference (unless it's an MMO or a pure multiplayer game).

I put 62 hours into XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and I paid $15.28 for it on May 12, 2013. The game was released on October 9, 2012. So I waited 7 months for a 75% discount, or a savings of roughly $45.

According to Steam I bought 22 games in 2015, and I rarely buy indie games, but let's just for giggles say that I saved $10 per game purchased (that will account for the odd indie game, some lower priced games, and some games where I didn't wait for 75% off), that's $220 saved by just waiting. All I had to do to "earn" $220 was to do nothing. Of course I think that those who don't wait are idiots, how can I not ...

No matter how much money you make, having $220 is better than not having it. I have never met a rich person who wasn't frugal.

Rich people don't usually squabble over saving $40 through out a period of 6 or 7 months. Usually median income people don't either.

You underestimate the average consumer too.
Your tone seems to think we have no idea an item we purchase goes on sale shortly after. I can save $6 or $7 a month just by waiting 6 or 7 months?
Oh boy!

Also, for me personally, 8 out 10 games that I do buy, I buy them to play with friends.

Call it a hype train, I don't care. But if you're buying video games 6 months down the road , chances are those who you know that bought it at release, are already moved on to something else.
I prefer the social aspects from video games more so than spending a tad less money and not playing with any friends.

How about that PC rig of yours? Surely you don't buy an obsolete POS three or four years past it's release, if you want to keep up with the current market. Unless, you have budget issues or financial burdens, in that case, why you spending on crap you can't afford?

Your opinions are full of double standards.

Last edited:
Or I am paying less for a now more optimized and not as buggy game, There are legit arguments for not jumping at launch time.

The game is not buggy as everyone else think. If I could put 20+ hrs on a new game then I get half of my money's worth and the bug arent that substantial to not make me the game.

I respect the people who holding off for a new game and "DONT" want to spend $60. Sure you can wait for another 4-6 months to go and save some $$ and that's smart and that's also depends on the individual how they value their money.

I know first hand that the game will give me hours of playing time and fun and that's worth $60 to me. That's my own opinion, but that doesn mean I'm not smart for not waiting for another 4-6 months. I'm thinking the other games that will come out within those months. If I wait, my backlog will just keep piling up. I have my eyes on Division next month, FFXV in a few months, and other games I want to play. So putting hours of enjoyment on this game now makes sense and worth the $60 to me.

It has nothing to do with financial or savings in a long run. I value the enjoyment I could have now so the next couple months would open up for a new game for another experience and enjoyment.

What make the prices "outrageous"? Games have been $40-50+ since the NES days when I started buying games with money from mowing lawns and other yard work for family members. Back the. I could now three lawns and buy a game. Three hours of my time for a game I would play for weeks, pretty good deal. I just can't fathom adults making anything over minimum wage thinking $60 for a new game is outrageous.

Such a goofy ass argument. Ill give you several issues with what you are saying.

1) The gaming industry juggernaut is pumping out insane amounts of titles compared to those days so its not just about the cost of a single game you have to choose where to spend your money.

2) The amount of overhyped under delivered dog shit we get shoveled at us is at an all time high.

3) Games had higher cost back then mainly because of production issues. Cartridges where expensive. Back then your $60 was going more towards the cost of the cartridge then development. Now your $60 is mostly going to advertising and marketing then development because production costs are insignificant by comparison.

4) Sales, hard to say $60 is not outrageous when so damn many games end up $40 or below within a quarter of release. Back in the day that $50 NES game would stay $50 for a long ass time because it cost so much to physically produce. Now the development costs and production costs are dwarfed by marketing so either the game does very well and covers the advertising costs and it goes on sale or it dont do well and they put it on sale to keep it afloat.

When you live in a world where you can get hundreds of quality games for the cost of a value meal thanks to steam i dont understand the white knighting of the $60 price tag. Its really hard for me to justify spending that much on a single game when i know damn good and well ill get it for much less pretty soon.

Either way you can argue whether $60 is far or not but you really cant compare the costs of a modern game to the cost of an NES game. Its really apples and oranges.

Steam reviews are mixed - a lot of people don't like the timed missions. There are mods to take it out but I'd wait for the bugs to be patched and the game to be optimized.

Just commenting on the price of PC games (and many new console titles).

$60 is not full price. $45 is full price.That is the price devs expect the average PC player to pay for their base game. Whether its by a preorder w/ "free" DLC ($45 for game + $15 DLC), a "deal/key" site (<$45), a buy 2 get 1 free deal ($120/3=$40), video card tie-in (splitting cost with nvidia/amd); you can get any new game for $45 (or less).

How about that PC rig of yours? Surely you don't buy an obsolete POS three or four years past it's release, if you want to keep up with the current market.

Good point, with hardware it's buy and hold, rather than wait and buy.
I am now running an i7-2600k, 16 GB of RAM, and a GTX 780 powering a 27" 1440p. Not entirely sure when I bought the CPU/RAM/Mobo, but it most certainly has been years. The 780 is a little younger, but equally at least 2-3 years old. Haven't come across any game that performed poorly enough that I didn't want to play it. Of course I am OK with frame rates in the 40's for some games and don't insist on 120 fps.

Lastly, you are right, rich people don't squabble over $40, to them it's cut and dry that they don't spend $40 if they don't have to, that's why they are rich. It's not about spending $40, I certainly spend cash, but I don't spend it on something that I know for a fact to become a lot less expensive within a period of time that doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the game.

Whether someone plays the game on Day 1 or on day 1001, if the game is good the enjoyment factor is the same (unless it's MP, like previously stated). Somehow the argument of the Day 1 buyers seems to be that they have more fun, and that's objectively not true.

I played the hell out of the original XCOM back in the day. Never an easy game to 'win'. The franchise has been pretty good over the years, and this latest release has me quite intrigued -- sadly, very little time to commit to playing it for quite some time. :(

X-Com is like one of those feel-good PC franchise stories, where an old, quirky 1990's IP is re-imagined in the modern era EXACTLY how people would have wanted it to be done... like Fallout. I have yet to play ANY X-Com game, so please tell me if they are worth having.

I liked the re-image but I disagree with the EXACTLY part. I enjoyed it but it doesn't have the same feel as the originals for me. After one play thru I went back and played TFTD for a few weeks because the new one didn't satisfy me.

I've read good things about the newest one and will get it once patches have come out to fix all the bugs and will probably wait for a sale. Not because I care about the cost but because I have several other games on my back log and I can wait for a game that isn't on my must have list.

Man This thread really blow up about me asking about X-Com. I have a few games i like to buy but not sure just yet. Like the remake of Homeworld and the land expansion Deserts of Kharak. To many games not enough time to play them all. Its so sad...

The answer is YES you should get this game, BUT you don't need to get it right this moment. The game runs poorly on even top notch hardware that are well above the recommended specs. Since you're asking about it on the forums, that means you're on the fence, so if you can wait, wait for a sale or a patch to come out before purchasing the game. Not worth full price in this state.

I Loved the original X-COM Enemy unknown. But not they are making it as though we lost in the other game and need to take back the world. I hope its awesome. Have anyone played it yet? If so what is your thought?

OH GOD YES IT IS

PRO TIP if you have a chance to make a ranger a phantom DO IT makes a snipers squad-sight so much more useful

Back