X-560 and 2x 6950's?

nameBrandon

Limp Gawd
Hey guys.. I've used a few calculators and read some articles, and getting somewhat conflicting info on if this PSU is capable of handling my system.

The PSU is this one..

Seasonic X-560 80PLUS Gold
http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_560.htm

Currently I'm running a GTX 670 and 3570k @ 3.8GHZ with an H80 cooler. Not much else is in the system, onboard LAN, USB mouse / kb and Fiio amp (e10) for audio.

I'd like to swap it out for a couple of older ATI Radeon's, I'm looking at the 6950's. Looks like max draw under load for those guys is ~256W (source - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/12/16/ati-radeon-hd-6950-review/10). I'm going to be altcoin mining with this setup, so load numbers are important.

I've got all the power cables plugged into the motherboard (forgive my lack of PSU knowledge), the big honkin one and the two smaller ones.

The 6950's take 2 pci-e 6 pin's each.. I have one cable that splits into two from my PSU right now (running the GTX 670), and it looks the GTX 670 came with 2 cables that take 2 molex and merge down to 1 6pin, so I think I can use both of those cables (4 molex = 2 x 6 pin) or find another spare Seasonic cable that runs from the PSU directly into 2 6-pin connectors.

Question 1 - Am I OK with this 560w PSU? Can it handle the CPU + 2 6950's?

Question 2 - What's the best way to get the second set of 2x PCI-E 6 pin connectors to the 2nd card.. are the molex cables OK, or should I just see if I can find an extra PSU cable like the one that it came with (that splits into 2 6-pin connectors).

Including a screenshot of the specs from the Seasonic PDF for reference. X-560 is mine.

I wouldn't.

You'll be over the rated capacity at full bore. 500w of video card, 100w for processor, 50-100w for mobo/drives/fans/etc.

It is a Seasonic though. So it'll probably work, but I still wouldn't chance it.

Thanks.. Yeah, that's what I was figuring..

Looks like RAIDMAX has a decent 835W modular for just under $100. I can probably re-sell that Seasonic 560W for $60 or something and cover some of the cost. That stinks though, I barely used this Seasonic PSU.. someone will be getting a good deal.

Considering that there are no proper reviews for that Raidmax and Raidmax history of shit power supplies, I would not get that Raidmax 835W. Go for the Corsair HX750.

Considering that there are no proper reviews for that Raidmax and Raidmax history of shit power supplies, I would not get that Raidmax 835W. Go for the Corsair HX750.

Thanks.. I passed on it.. I went with the Seasonic X-850..

Was just assuming mining was going to put these suckers near 100% load, better go a bit bigger to be safe.

Wondering if I can keep my old cables in place from the X-560.. probably not a good idea, huh.. :(

You're right. Probably not a good idea.

Worst case is that the cables have different pinouts and will kill your stuff.

Best case is that Seasonic didn't change anything from the old 560 to the new 850 and the cables all work.

I'd rather stay on the safe side.

Wondering if I can keep my old cables in place from the X-560.. probably not a good idea, huh.. :(

No, not a good idea as mda has pointed out. Yes they share the same model name but that doesn't mean that they share everything else. An example of this would be Corsair's HX750 and HX650 PSUs: Both are part of the HX modular PSU line but are from two different manufacturers (CWT and Seasonic respectively) so their cables may not work together.

Back