WWDC 2022

Mad Maxx

Supreme [H]ardness
Apple's big conference lived up to the hype this year. The highlight for me was the newly redesigned M2 Air (1:00:48). It's gonna be my new laptop next month.

I do the developer betas for iOS and watchOS so I paid attention to those and am already using both, and I have to say, I am pretty displeased about the lock screen and wallpapers. There is no longer any native wallpaper that changes dynamically between light and dark modes. I got lucky and the one from iOS 13 carried over, but I can't use any of the lock screen customization features with it. The notifications being at the bottom is also a poor design choice in my opinion.

Can't wait for the iOS Public Beta to start. I know it is possible to load the Developer Beta's without a developer account, but I never have. Just upgraded from an iPhone XR to a 13 Pro Max too.

Can't wait for the iOS Public Beta to start. I know it is possible to load the Developer Beta's without a developer account, but I never have. Just upgraded from an iPhone XR to a 13 Pro Max too.
It's possible of course but not highly suggested. The plus side to waiting for the public beta is that those releases are generally more stable, developer betas tend to be much more buggy and more frustrating in my experience. However, I really enjoy testing the software and sending feedback. Just the overall process is kinda satisfying to me.
But yeah, so far not a fan of iOS 16. WatchOS 9, however, is excellent. My battery life is actually better than on 8.6 beta, ironically.

I don't beta anything from Apple anymore.
When Apple says "beta" they really mean it. I remember doing the Beta for iOS11(?) I think, the one that first introduced Dark Mode, just because I really wanted Dark Mode. And even normal stuff like e-mail was broken. And while things rapidly got fixed as it got closer to launch, it left a bad taste in my mouth in terms of usability etc.
If I had other hardware to play around with, then I probably would. But since I don't and I need everything I use for work, I'll wait until things are final - and then I might wait even longer for a major point release. I'm good with being patient.

I don't beta anything from Apple anymore.
When Apple says "beta" they really mean it. I remember doing the Beta for iOS11(?) I think, the one that first introduced Dark Mode, just because I really wanted Dark Mode. And even normal stuff like e-mail was broken. And while things rapidly got fixed as it got closer to launch, it left a bad taste in my mouth in terms of usability etc.
If I had other hardware to play around with, then I probably would. But since I don't and I need everything I use for work, I'll wait until things are final - and then I might wait even longer for a major point release. I'm good with being patient.
13, not 11. This was also my first one because I was so eager to try out dark mode. It was by far the most buggy and unstable one I've participated in, and successive ones have been more stable in my experience. Last year's 15 beta was very smooth and I had next to no trouble with it.

13, not 11. This was also my first one because I was so eager to try out dark mode. It was by far the most buggy and unstable one I've participated in, and successive ones have been more stable in my experience. Last year's 15 beta was very smooth and I had next to no trouble with it.
My point remains the same. It’s not worth downtime or bugs on mission critical hardware, for me.

My point remains the same. It’s not worth downtime or bugs on mission critical hardware, for me.
And that's totally fair. Some people aren't willing to take the risks associated with beta software, understandably so. Others like myself are. All a matter of preference.
Beta software is like a grab bag - you don't know what bugs or small new features/improvements you'll get until you use it, with occasional exceptions such as a list of known issues or fixed issues.

A lot has been said about the MacBook AIr M2, but something I heard that's worth noting: it seems like the 13-inch MacBook Pro M2 really is just an inventory-clearing machine. There's no good reason to buy one instead of the new Air unless you want better performance under sustained loads (but can't afford a 14-inch MBP) or you really, really like the Touch Bar.

As it stands, I may be in the market for a new laptop soon... and a well-equipped Air (in Silver or Starlight, please) would fit the bill very nicely.

A lot has been said about the MacBook AIr M2, but something I heard that's worth noting: it seems like the 13-inch MacBook Pro M2 really is just an inventory-clearing machine. There's no good reason to buy one instead of the new Air unless you want better performance under sustained loads (but can't afford a 14-inch MBP) or you really, really like the Touch Bar.
Yeap. I think it’s unsaid but everyone knows. It’s really a confusing machine. It legitimately is one of those times where I don’t understand why Apple simply doesn’t axe it. Keep the MBA below and then the 14” Pro above and call it a day.

For me it was disappointing that they didn’t release all the M2 machines at the same time. While it’s likely that an M2 Mac Mini will exist before years end (perhaps fall), we’ve been waiting to buy one as getting an M1 at this point ‘feels bad man’.

I’m also waiting for benches. As the M2 may be enough for most people (perhaps me) doing editing in Resolve vs moving to the more hefty Pro, Max or Ultra chip.

I think that that’s the hardest part about picking. The M2 Air with 24GB of Ram, and 1 TB SSD is the cost of a base level 14” Pro. And it follows that the M2 Mini (whenever it comes out) equipped with similar hardware will cost what a base level studio costs. So, benchmarks are basically going to be the difference to tell us whether or not it’s better to upgrade a lower model or get a base model of the next higher up system.
As it stands, I may be in the market for a new laptop soon... and a well-equipped Air (in Silver or Starlight, please) would fit the bill very nicely.
I’d recommend watching MKBHD’s first impressions on M2. You may not want to go for Starlight, apparently it’s a fingerprint magnet (unless you don’t care or are a clear case/clear skin guy).

Yeap. I think it’s unsaid but everyone knows. It’s really a confusing machine. It legitimately is one of those times where I don’t understand why Apple simply doesn’t axe it. Keep the MBA below and then the 14” Pro above and call it a day.

For me it was disappointing that they didn’t release all the M2 machines at the same time. While it’s likely that an M2 Mac Mini will exist before years end (perhaps fall), we’ve been waiting to buy one as getting an M1 at this point ‘feels bad man’.

I’m also waiting for benches. As the M2 may be enough for most people (perhaps me) doing editing in Resolve vs moving to the more hefty Pro, Max or Ultra chip.

I think that that’s the hardest part about picking. The M2 Air with 24GB of Ram, and 1 TB SSD is the cost of a base level 14” Pro. And it follows that the M2 Mini (whenever it comes out) equipped with similar hardware will cost what a base level studio costs. So, benchmarks are basically going to be the difference to tell us whether or not it’s better to upgrade a lower model or get a base model of the next higher up system.

I’d recommend watching MKBHD’s first impressions on M2. You may not want to go for Starlight, apparently it’s a fingerprint magnet (unless you don’t care or are a clear case/clear skin guy).
I suspect cost and supply chain issues are to blame for any staggered releases. As it stands, the M2 Air would do the trick for just about anything I usually do, and I'm not gentle on computers!

On Air colors: you're thinking of Midnight. Starlight is the champagne-like hue. Smudge-resistant but might just stand out.

I have a Starlight iPad and its smudge resistance is excellent, better than silver even. It is an odd color about halfway between gold and silver.

I have a Starlight iPad and its smudge resistance is excellent, better than silver even. It is an odd color about halfway between gold and silver.
That's good to hear. My wife has a Starlight-colored Apple Watch and it's interesting. It looks silver sometimes, but there's often just enough of a hint of its real hue. I suspect the MacBook Air's shade is more pronounced, but even so...

Back