Wut the Wut? 4K on 5+ year old monitors?

DoggyDaddi

Gawd
Before I got my 43" Philips 4k, I was running a fairly simple 4 monitor setup.

Acer x233H left of center
Asus VE278Q center (in corner)
Benq G2400WDLCD (right of center)
Samsung Syncmaster P2450 (right)

I've got an 'L' shaped desk in the corner, with the big picture window on the right just past the Samsung. When I plugged in the Acer to my new build back in November, the HDMI just played back lots of static and pink snow... no idea what was wrong. Just out of curiosity I plugged in a DVI and that worked just fine.

No worries....

When the Philips arrived last week, I yanked everything and started fresh, as the 43" is so freaking huge I've only actually got room for 3 total, so stuck the Acer and the Samsung in the closet.

Plugging in the Philips and getting started with the setup, I found a great big fluorescent blotch the size of both my hands in the lower right quarter... bummer. UPS is coming today to grab it and I'll be getting a replacement in the next day or so.

In the meantime, I decided to plug back in all 4 again, and was greeted by the pinkish static on the Acer. But this time I got curious... what if I played with the refresh and other settings? I opened the panel, and I see settings going all the way up to 4k.

1920x1080 (Recommended) gave me pink static.... so what the hell... go for broke, set it to 3840x2160, and hit 'Apply'

It worked.. completely stable, no glitchiness, no artifacts... but on a 24" screen the shortcuts were microdots, and text was illegible. I bumped it back to 1920x1200 which is much more comfortable viewing. 1920x1080 brings back the pink static.

Checked my Samsung, and exact same thing.. goes all the way to 4k with no issues, but dropped it back to 1920x1080 for viewing preference.

My Asus is running on a DP and wont go higher then 1920x1080, I'm thinking if I swap it to HDMI I'll be able to bump it to something much nicer like 2560x1440, but I'm out of native HDMI connectors and using an adaptor always looks like shit. I'll play with it, see what I can do.

The Benq is on HDMI but has no options past 1920x1200. It's also my oldest monitor at over 8 and I'm not going to chance forcing it with external software.

Still a strange situation.... 2 older monitors that can do 4k? Hmmmmm

Oh.. btw, I'm running on a ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon Rx 480 8GB OC Edition... nice card
green spot.jpg

Yes, scaling is what I'd bet is going on. In the microtext that you describe: Getting close to the screen can you visibly see the pixels with your eyes? If so, it's being scaled (or you have some incredible myopia)

With actual 4k, the DPI would be high enough that your eyes can't literally see the pixels unless you pulled out a magnifying glass. And if you did get a magnifying glass to enlarge the small text, it would be readable instead of being a pixelated blur.

Back