WTS: Apple Macintosh SE/30 (needs easy repair) with keyboard, Apple Mouse 1 & 2, and more

PCunicorn

[H]ard|Gawd
Up for sale is a Mac SE/30. It's really cool, don't really want to get rid of it, but I need some cash. It has the Extended ADB Keyboard with ADB cable, which is worth over $70. I also have the ADB Apple Mouse 1 which is worth around $20, and the ADB Apple Mouse 2, worth around $23. All those accessories are guaranteed working, though they are quite yellowed. I also have this little thing, I think it's an external HDD. It could be worth several hundred dollars if it works.

Now, the SE/30. It has System 7.1 installed. It works, but there's a major problem with the screen that's easily fixable. It needs a new capacitor, and if you have any soldering experience you'll be able to fix it. It's a very accessible capacitor, all you have to do is take the back off and replace it. Other than that, it powers on and is fully usable (when the screen works), though I believe sound doesn't work (and if it doesn't, you'll need to replace another capacitor which is deep inside of the system).

I'm asking $140 plus insured shipping to US48. You could part out all of this on eBay in it's current condition and make a bit of money, but if you fixed the SE/30 and the external HDD you could make a killing. I'll send detailed pictures to any serious potential buyer.

Last edited:
any pictures of the external? do you know if the SE/30 has had the battery removed? (any battery damage?)

any pictures of the external? do you know if the SE/30 has had the battery removed? (any battery damage?)

External HDD or the casing of the Mac?

How can I tell if the battery has been removed? I'd be glad to check for you.

I figure the SE is yellowed but I would be interested in what external HD you have

you would have to open it up (if you can) also don't suppose the logic board was ever recapped?

del6o1.jpg

in this picture it's the purple part near the bottom right

I figure the SE is yellowed but I would be interested in what external HD you have

you would have to open it up (if you can) also don't suppose the logic board was ever recapped?

View attachment 1127

in this picture it's the purple part near the bottom right

Sorry for the late reply.

SE/30

The battery is still installed. I'm not sure of the board has ever been recapped.

I Googled a bit, and I'm now sure that it is an external HDD as I had assumed. According to this article from an old InfoWorld magazine, it is 45MB and cost $1400 new! :eek:

Also, at the bottom of the album there is a picture of the Mac SE/30. As you can see, it's actually not yellowed very much; for its age it's actually in quite good condition. The keyboard and mouse are pretty yellowed however (the keyboard in particular).

Edit: Did some further testing on the external HDD. When I turn it on, the LEDs and fan activate, but the HDD makes an odd sound and a red LED flashes, which leads me to believe that the HDD is busted. However, it should work if you replace the HDD which is likely to be an easy task. Still, I can't guarantee it'll work after that. However unlikely, a connector or something like that could be broken.

Last edited:
Back