WTHDIJS Video of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this video does not qualify as the "what the hell did I just see" video of the day, I don't know what will. Although it is kind of hard to see at times, the laser is actually moving the tinfoil in the vacuum chamber.

What I noted was the tin foil moved as HE moved himself. It's obvious from the earlier parts in the video there's some vibration happening and he's causing it himself from either contact with whatever apparatus he's constructed to do all this like the stand or table it's all sitting on. I get the idea behind it, I get the proposed theory behind it (studied this kind of potential for propulsion decades ago at length), but in this specific example and video, I'm not buying it was the laser itself, even an 8W model 'cause from the theory behind this it would require a hell of a lot more power to move that tin foil even in visually noticeable degrees.

For the physicists around here, isn't the same principle behind a Crookes radiometer?

He has better videos... and he was having issues getting it to show up on camera his 2w laser just did not move it very much and when it hit the hair it caused the hair to start burning thus contracting... the foil barely moved a mm what was the most standout was when he let the air back in and he demonstrated the difference between near vacuum and with air drag on the movement...

What I noted was the tin foil moved as HE moved himself. It's obvious from the earlier parts in the video there's some vibration happening and he's causing it himself from either contact with whatever apparatus he's constructed to do all this like the stand or table it's all sitting on. I get the idea behind it, I get the proposed theory behind it (studied this kind of potential for propulsion decades ago at length), but in this specific example and video, I'm not buying it was the laser itself, even an 8W model 'cause from the theory behind this it would require a hell of a lot more power to move that tin foil even in visually noticeable degrees.

Math or you're lying.

Math or you're lying.

Well I haven't done that kind of math since high school days so that's a wash there, but the information is available if you do the research like I did in early 1980s. Believe it, don't believe it, that's up to you.

Well I haven't done that kind of math since high school days so that's a wash there, but the information is available if you do the research like I did in early 1980s. Believe it, don't believe it, that's up to you.

Just half-joking. But I think two watts is enough to move it given the only appreciable opposing force is the tension in the hair.

It's like a really shitty youtube version of a crookes radiometer

220px-Crookes_radiometer.jpg

Back