WTH.. Trialed beta drivers, lost SLI...

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, as the title said, I trialed the new beta drivers directly from the nVidia site. Did the normal route to clean old WHQL drivers (uninstall, then CC) and recieved an error on the "installing video drivers" that it was unable to install. Cleaned those off, installed the 285 WHQL drivers (previously running with no issues what-so-ever) and noticed that I no longer had the option for SLI.....

Reboot.. unchanged

Just unistalled drivers via CP... reboot... native VGA drivers installed, check on DM, and only a single 570 shows up....

Power down, reseated, power back up and unchanged...

Went to single card, swapped out cards, both work. Swapped out power lines, both work

Another attempt at the drivers.. Unchanged

Backup OS, Fresh format / install of W7.. Still unchanged.... (Yes, I made sure I had the SLI bridge attached). DM still shows a single 570. Looked at the seating to make sure it's secure on the mobo.. yup....

This is really irritating.. I'm not sure what happened. I've gone so far as to update the BIOS (E689_A05) and I thought there was a spot on the BIOS were I could switch PCI-E as primary video out, but I can't seem to find that. Hardware is in the signature. Any help is really appreciated.

Nope... SLI was working just fine until I attempted the beta install.

Swapped out card to first x16 slot and they individually work just fine...

Going to try the middle x16 to see if that makes any difference...

Fixed.. When placed in the middle x16 slot W7 detected it as soon as it was loaded. I then moved it back to the last x16 and it was detected there, updated drivers up to latest WHQL again, rebooted, and SLI now an option.

PITA to reinstall but I really have no idea what borked the OS outside of the beta drivers. Warning to those interested, possibly avoid the 290 beta's. I've never had this issue before with any beta set, but this is a rather unpleasant first....

my 290 whatever beta driver install went smooth yesterday, after reboot SLI was switched off, i forgot to check this before i started up BF3 and once in game i looked over at my gpu monitors and was like wtf my 2nd is not doing anything! lol

all this being said i didn't uninstall or wipe drivers, just installed over the previous beta's i was running, i get the whole wipe the old drivers out thing but in my experience its not needed unless doing it the lazy way breaks something or going from ancient drivers to new ones :)

Yes.. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely glad that you can clean / install newer drivers in a far more linear fashion, but a bit unhappy I had to learn about it this way... Hopefully others will to.

I am surprised that I had to move the second 570 to the middle x16 slot for it to be detected rather than it detecting it in the 3rd. Trying to find some information on that for personal interest.

that happened to me on the first releast of the 280.xx drivers.

pain in the ass.

Back