wtf, sudden blob dead middle of NEC 2490

xorbe

Supreme [H]ardness
It definitely wasn't there when I got this screen on Saturday (2 days ago). I inspected every square inch on white, black, R, G, B + the checkboard subpixel patterns.

Tonight, there is "dust blob" dead center. It's like in 3D, as I move my head around, its shadow appears to extend 5mm into the panel. It's annoying as hell. What is it? Dirt? A bug? If I were to guess, it appears to possibly be betweem the light source and the panel, deducting from the double dark blobs that do the 3D thing.

Is this worthy of an exchange?

"worthy of an exchange"? do you mean like should you bother? or will the original store/website take it back?

I would definitely try to get them to exchange it if it's not going away. I have something similar on one of my lcd's, it doesn't look like a "true" dead pixel, but it sure is annoying.

If I can't exchange, I'll be getting rid of this monitor asap. I'm not putting up with 3x3 blob dead center, it's unusable for R/C flight training simulator. Holy hell it's annoying to have a black spot in the middle with a panning image.

dude, for an expansive monitor like that, a dead "blob" just isn't acceptable... I would exchange it or return it for sure.

Does this img work for you? Dead center of panel. It actually intrudes on about 4x3 pixels. If not the proper link is http://bayimg.com/LaNdcaAbm Apology for crappy macro pics

landcaabm.jpg

Just got a msg back from them, NEC has approved for warranty return. Annoying as it is, at least the cust service should be top notch...

update: they said they'd send me a refurb, and I went nuts, lol... finally they understood that I had a messed up brand new unit, sent in the invoice, and supposedly I'll be approved for a brand new replacement (policy for anything 30-days within invoice date) today or tomorrow...

The replacement 2490 arrived today, and it appears to be defect free, woohoo! :D Let's hope it stays that way.

right now, I want to say very very bad words, because the replacement LCD developed a bad pixel right on center line after 6 hours of usage.

right now, I want to say very very bad words, because the replacement LCD developed a bad pixel right on center line after 6 hours of usage.

Told you that you jinxed it. Don't post here about an LCD being *perfect* expecting it to stay that way... :cool:

But in all seriousness, a bad pixel (dead or stuck) is better than a 3x3 blob. You can live with a bad pixel.

You do know how expensive a 2490 is to take a dead pixel in the center of the screen? I think it is an improvement over the blob ... but that's a sad summary for $1200.

I could at least open my first LCD and clean the dust out, painfully, and have a proper panel. So I have to decide soon which one to send back.

Depending on their reply, I may cancel my outstanding order for the 3090 tomorrow.

I mean, I laid out the cash for NEC's top-of-the-line 2490 SpectraView model and I got two in a row with a problem in the center of the screen. It's not acceptable.

I'd rather return this and call up Dell and order five cheap 2209WA E-IPS panels. Who cares about the quality at Dell's price point.

I mean, I laid out the cash for NEC's top-of-the-line 2490 SpectraView model and I got two in a row with a problem in the center of the screen. It's not acceptable.

I'd rather return this and call up Dell and order five cheap 2209WA E-IPS panels. Who cares about the quality at Dell's price point.

Center of the screen does suck. When my 2490 arrived it had a dead pixel off to the right side. Sucks in a $1300 (Canada) monitor. But I don't notice it in regular use (I haven't seen it this week at all) and I figured a replacement would require a fight and might have similar issues.

The LG IPS panels suffer from more QC issues than just about any others from what I read. More dead pixels, more screen uniformity issues.

I also agree that it might be easier to take such issues at 1/4 the price.

All the above is why I generally try to warn people away from the 30" model. The issues are even more common at double the price and for me at least would be even harder to take. Plus no A-TW on the 30" is harder to take at that size as well.

I am not sure I have advice on this one. I suppose you could try one more replacement if they let you.

My 2490 which I bought used is quite good but instead of pixel issues I seem to have backlight bleed issues that come and go. Sometimes it isn't visible at all, sometimes the lower left quad is a little bright. Sometimes it looks like an effect of room lighting and the purple glow from the polarizer, other times you think it's got to be bleed. Yet other times everything is perfect.

I've got years of warranty left, but I don't want to get something back that's worse. I only see this on black screens at night. I'd see a pixel all the time... :(

Nothing you can do about glow at night. After 5 LCD monitors (2 PVA, 1 TN, 1 IPS no A-TW polarizer, and 2490 with A-TW polarizer) + 1 LCD TV (Samsung with AUO MVA panel) I would say they all glow at night.

But subjectively the NEC with A-TW offers the best black even though my TV measures better (0.15 vs .20), they both look similar glowly grey in the dark and the TV gets MUCH worse off angle.

LCD will never be good for this unless it uses some kind of local dimming backlight.

I will try to squeeze 1 more replacement round out of them, and call it quits if 3rd panel has a center defect.

The thing is, it really is a gorgeous screen despite the pixel. I used my old MVA Planar last night, and quickly ran back to the 2490. It's beautiful. Sigh...

Aren't you overreacting just a tad?

I mean, it's 1 pixel out of 1920x1200... Seems like something you can live with, especially if you can't see it during normal usage. Not everything in life is perfect.

Honestly I'm not sure. One would sort of reasonably expect a SpectraView model to be defect free around the central part of the screen. The blob was clearly unacceptable. The pixel, yeah it's okay for general usage.

But still, on a high-end panel, I personally hoped that any defect would have been limited to top and bottom 200 pixels, or within 300 of the left and right edges. Not 1.5" inches from the center. I have an extremely hard time believing a pro Photoshop user would remotely accept this monitor with a central dead pixel. I thought I laid out the cash to have that kind of LCD, but maybe that's Eizo-only territory. I don't know.

Can you really see the pixel during regular usage? If it is clearly there (black dot on white or white dot on black) and is distracting, that's one story. If not, it's another.

Yeah, it's in the center, and it does stand out at various times. I just called NEC tech support, and said the replacement SpectraView had a dead subpixel in the middle, and now there is another on the way already. They did run me through "did you try a second video card, a second computer, and do you use Photoshop, etc" this time though first, lol. They did tell me they hope I don't get a 3rd monitor with a problem in the middle. Heh, at the current rate I'll get one with a string of xmas lights around the edges instead... j/k :D

Yeah, if I were paying $1200 for a monitor I would definitely hope the company would maintain a "no dead pixel" policy. I think Dell even has that policy on some of their lower-end models.

FWIW, I agree with some of the sentiments in this thread. I believe a 2490, especially a Spectraview version, should be held to a higher standard. These are cream of the crop displays for actual professionals or others with very high standards. If "Joe User" coughs up this kind of dough they're either very picky, or simply have lots of disposable cash.

Good luck, xorbe.

Just some random info.

This is the Official Dead Pixel Policy to "technically" qualify for replacement as received by e-mail. Obviously if one pleads their case on the phone, they are much much nicer... squeaky wheel gets the (attempted) grease...

Defective sub-pixel means off or on -- from reading the spec on Wikipedia. So obviously, any manufacturer would use Class II, as Class I is no failures (medical/military), and Class III/IV is an insane number of failures.

explicitly mentioned by policy:
1024x768: 5+ sub-pixels
1280x1024: 7+ sub-pixels
1600x1200: 10+ sub-pixels

by calculation:
1440x900: 7+ sub-pixels
1680x1050: 10+ sub-pixels
1920x1080: 11+ sub-pixels
1920x1200: 12+ sub-pixels
2560x1600: 21+ sub-pixels

So, I guess that "2490 SpectraView" means nothing more than 2490 + marketing + calibration kit, and perhaps buying some extra bitching room with the techs for a replacement... Anyways, so they maintain that central defects are allowed for SpectraView monitors. I can only assume that the SV label gets the lower end of the 0-10 range at manufacture time, but clearly they've left themselves wiggle room...

Too bad there is no "Class 1.5" which divides the panel into "middle" and "around the borders"...

The ISO 13406-2 standard allows for a certain number of pixel faults based on the number of total pixels in the monitor (determined by the native resolution). NEC/Mitsubishi will replace an LCD monitor under warranty if meets the following criteria:

For monitors with a native resolution of 1024x768 (typically 15" monitors):
- More than 2 whole pixel faults
- More than 4 sub-pixel faults
- More than 1 whole pixel or 2 sub-pixel fault in a 5x5 pixel square area

For monitors with a native resolution of 1280x1024 (typically 17, 19 or 20" monitors):
- More than 4 whole pixel faults
- More than 6 sub-pixel faults
- More than 1 whole pixel or 3 sub-pixel fault in a 5x5 pixel square area

For monitors with a native resolution of 1600x1200 (typically 21" or larger monitors):
- More than 6 while pixel faults
- More than 9 sub-pixel faults
- More than 1 whole pixel or 4 sub-pixel fault in a 5x5 pixel square area

Neither 2490 had any buzzing, just silence. In fact I discovered that the funny click-click noise from my old computer was actually from my Planar LCD. No wonder I couldn't find the source of the noise in the old computer...

I thought I read that buzzing NECs were a Euro thing, due to the 240v converter?

I thought I read that buzzing NECs were a Euro thing, due to the 240v converter?

I'm not sure on this. I have this noise on my 2490 running at 240V. But I could swear that also people from the US (120V) were having this problem here in the forum.

I'll get a new replacement in one or two weeks. But I'm sceptical ...

3rd panel has a single dead blue sub-pixel at the top, which is basically invisible for all purposes. Very, very hard to find without a pure blue square. Even with cyan blue it's crazy hard to spot. And it's at the top, which is the important part. Out of the way.

But damn, 3 for 3, one defect each ... still feels weird, since none of my previous 6 cheaper LCDs had any defects. Maybe it's just LCD good-luck-karma balancing itself...

For some reason, a dead red sticks out a lot more on bright colors/white -- it makes cyan. Dead blue makes yellow, which is much less eye grabbing. (Just guessing, but dead green must be the worst, making purple.)

I'm using both right now. :D Will make sure #3 doesn't go funny over the weekend like #2 did after a few hours before shipping #2 back Monday.

Curious, but the unit's master power button was in the ON position as received, and the OSD was set differently than the first two, and the packing foam was not quite fitted properly inside the box, and the cardboard insert had been folded ... I wonder if it was examined before getting sent out ...

Unfortunately LG IPS panels seem to have the most dead pixels(sub) of any screen type. I have have owned 5 LCD monitors 2 IPS (each with dead pixel) 2PVA and 1 TN (no dead pixels) and I read all the thread about the NEC 90uxi series. Dead pixels seem extremely prevalent.

While I'm airing out my LG panel complaints, the 3rd unit only has a contrast of 690:1... about 13% lower than the first 2 units at all brightness levels. Probably something to do with the backlight bleed from the lower left that extends up through the middle. Plus one of those vertical unevenness things on the right hand side like in the 30" panel photos. 2nd unit was 780:1, lighting was even, much less bleed. (Rating is 800:1)

3rd unit is fine for me (and looks great all things considered), but I'm pointing out these incredibly picky "dark room 0% brightness" observations due to the price point for others.

problem with 2490 as well. Found one pixel that turned light blue under white background and turn black under red background . is it a dead pixel or stuck pixel?

and one more problem right now is that under black background, there's very small pinkish line about 3 mm on the screen... is this worthy of exchange it? or is there anything wrong with this?

Why not? Or did they wrote somewhere that you have to live with a pink line on this display?

Back