WTF Kickstarter of the Day?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I just don't get this. I lived in Alaska for over fifteen years and most people I know simply punched in their passcode, no special gloves required. What do you guys think? Would you buy something like this?

Looks like it's designed so you can unlock with the fingerprint scanner(TouchID) rather than having to punch in the code. Seems reasonable enough to me.

I probably wouldn't, but glove weather is only so much of the year where I live.

I could see it being popular with HIPPA people. An example of out PHI MDM policy. 10 character pass code on the device, must contian 3 of upper, low, numeric and special. So you get the teeny keyboard and it's annoying wihtout gloves, and it locks you out after 5 failed attempts and wipes the device. The fingerprint sensors count though, so...

8 dollars price, cost 8 cents to manufacture. If it breaks through this guys are going to make a buck.

Then your sticker loses its tack and falls off or someone peels yours off. Hello, fail security now?

As a motorcyclist (all the gear all the time), this is a great idea - I have tried touchscreen compatible gloves, but the one pair that did work had crap construction. I would love to put these on my Sidi's, because if I pull over to reply to a quick text, or an update my calendar, or look for an alternate route, taking my gloves off sucks.

"Your dad...your brother...(Your mother doesn't need it)...your sister...." LOL

Then your sticker loses its tack and falls off or someone peels yours off. Hello, fail security now?

Oh yeah, it is horrible for security. The mobile equivalent of a post on your monitor with your credentials, which is exactly why people who have security requirements placed upon them will love it.

Get some sun after getting your eyebrows waxed. HD videos make it VERY obvious.

Imagine it is your LAST sticker too....now what?

I'm pretty sure you have more than one finger. Or do idevices not allow you to assign more than one finger these days?

I probably wouldn't, but glove weather is only so much of the year where I live.

I could see it being popular with HIPPA people. An example of out PHI MDM policy. 10 character pass code on the device, must contian 3 of upper, low, numeric and special. So you get the teeny keyboard and it's annoying wihtout gloves, and it locks you out after 5 failed attempts and wipes the device. The fingerprint sensors count though, so...
I deal with this crazy stuff. Most people who do this type of stuff don't understand it and go overboard out of fear or because it's a mini power trip. A string of simple phrases is just as secure or more secure.

BTW, it's "HIPAA" (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

I deal with this crazy stuff. Most people who do this type of stuff don't understand it and go overboard out of fear or because it's a mini power trip. A string of simple phrases is just as secure or more secure.

BTW, it's "HIPAA" (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

Sorry HIPAA, unfortunately, my typing brain likes to mistype that a lot and I get to deal with this shit all the time. Super fun.

IT requires encrypted transmission of information leaving your network. It requires encryption at rest or for it to be locked down to approved users only. The problem is the requirements and penalties are ill defined, so it's just a general state of peril you are trying to avoid with very few guidelines.

This means mobile devices need MDM. I have yet to see phones or MDM that allow multiple pass phrases. Longer entries are harder to type without error, and you have to pick some point where you consider the device is attempting to be compromised as well. People do tend to go overboard, not because it is a power trip, but because treating everyone uniformly is easier than treating each person as required. But that specific requirement was the result of losing in court, so not overboard. The fact that for a while it was applied to the janitor's cell phones and the janitors had access to jack and shit, that was definitely overboard. Someone picked 5 attempts to wipe based on some reason. I personally think it is unduly severe given that math on trying to guess a 10 character password, but once again, I inherited that rule.

Don't see any problem with this product.
I don't live in consistently cold enough climate nor am I fashion conscious, but at $8 for convenience I can perfectly see a demand for this. They probably can stretch the price up to $20 at certain brick and mortar retail stores before sales drop off too.

I don't have any use for this product right now, but when I lived in N. Indiana this would have been awesome. Especially for things like motorcycle gloves.

You can get a pair of touch screen gloves at the dollar store. My wife has a pair for every outfit. Very cheap.

The question is, how complicated is this, and is there a high chance we will see Chinese knockoffs before the kickstarter starts delivering as we have seen with so many other simple but good product ideas.

Back