WTF is happening to my PC?

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
OKay, I've some serious issue with PC, and I don't know what's to blame. From time to time PC crashed when I started playing games - image disappeared, all fans and LEDs on the board blinked and restarted, and monitor was going into sleep mode - that required reset button.

It was solved only by going into Asus AI center and setting the mode from performance to auto. Then it was playing perfectly. Up till yesterday. Right now, it crashes immediately when entering 3D mode. In Battlefront the menu works okay, but once I jump into battle - immediate crash. Same in AC:Syndicate and whatever.

I tried uninstalling A.I Center - no change. Tried uninstalling drivers with DDU and putting older NV drivers - no change - resettled cables on PSU - nothing. Even switching off turbo on CPU did not change anything. And no - it happens on non OCed system too.

Is it PSU suddenly going wrong or being too weak? Which is strange, because I been running the PSU for a year and with my 980 Ti since July and didn't have mucho problemos. Is it my old RAM, or the ASUS board going bad?

Edit: Re-read the post and you mentioned that it happens also when not OCed.

Any recent changes with the system? Or did the thing start going wonky all of a sudden? Also, any other games this happens with? ALL of them?

The only thing I added was the Asus Soar card, which is powered by extra cable from PSU, but it used to work without issues for a week. Also disconnected it and it's same. So it's not the card issue

And yes, it went wonky all of a sudden - not a single driver change. Also it happens in all the games. For example Battlefront works in menu, but when I join 3D battle, it crashes. Syndicate just crashes after all the mandatory cutscenes.

Because it only happens under serious load, it is quite likely to be the PSU.

If you have another PSU that isnt powerful enough for the whole system, you can try using both at the same time.
Use one for the CPU, the other for the GPU.
This will tell you if it is a power problem.
It wont tell you if there is a serious glitch as the PSU goes under load though. (ie the PSU has a different fault than not being able to provide enough power).
But it will tell you if its an overloaded PSU.

Agreed with Nenu, it point to a PSU issue. have you a spare weak GPU to test? 980TI are power hog, with a weak low power GPU you may be able to know if its the PSU that has been damaged.

I've unused 290x, which I just put in the PC. Everything works, so it's either my 980 ti or PSU to blame. It is strange though - the xfx black I have is supposed to draw either the same or just few W less than gaming. According to [h] tests. 290x pulls 402W while OCed 980ti - there is no [h] test of 980ti gaming, so let's say it draws same power as Gigabyte OCed 980ti - pulls 432w (in total system consumption ofc). Those few W really might make such difference?

UPDATE: Done format c: and fresh Windows install... just to be sure, that all the issues I might have is not caused by whatever else than hardware. Looks like I'm back in business - on AI Suite auto mode and with CPU turbo turned off, I can play :) ANything higher than 4,000 mHz and all goes poof. Guess it's new PSU time, hopefuly some EU retailers will have some slick deals on PSUs during Black Friday/Cyber Monday :) And I do hope that 750W EVGA G2 will be enough... or should I go 850W?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your problem might be, but when I had two power supplies using the Lian-Li Dual Power Supply starter kit I had to turn both power supplies off, unplug them, press the power button with both power supplies unplugged to drain the power, plug them back in, and turn them both on simultaneously. Then power on the system and do that each time I turned on the system because having multiple power supplies isn't like having a server with them were you have a controller board to control the redundant power supplies.

750w is /drastically/ more than you need for that setup. I'm running 980Ti SLI with an older, less efficient CPU on a mediocre 750w without issue.

I'm not sure what your problem might be, but when I had two power supplies using the Lian-Li Dual Power Supply starter kit I had to turn both power supplies off, unplug them, press the power button with both power supplies unplugged to drain the power, plug them back in, and turn them both on simultaneously. Then power on the system and do that each time I turned on the system because having multiple power supplies isn't like having a server with them were you have a controller board to control the redundant power supplies.

I didnt recommend he use them all the time but as a cheap method of diagnosing his problem.

750w is /drastically/ more than you need for that setup. I'm running 980Ti SLI with an older, less efficient CPU on a mediocre 750w without issue.

His PSU may be wearing out or have a fault.
A 750W PSU does not remain 750W, its max power output decreases over time, with high temps and with use.

My 750w g2 has arrived. All issues gone. Can play everything :) it was the XFX PSU after all. Thanks guys for help :)

Back