WTF 2080 cards are $800+ ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I am looking to upgrade from my GTX 1070, to maybe a RTX 2080 ( not the bonfire Ti card )

But what the heck, the regular 2080's are frigging $800 ? Jesus. I thought they'd be like $599 max.

I've been buying video cards since the Voodoo card days 20 years ago, and forver it seems top end cards were in the $600 or so price range. And the 2070 type cards would be in the $500 or so range.

Why the F is the 2080 a outrageous $800 ?

Last edited:
What's the realistic price of a RTX 2080 then ? I had no idea they were in the $800 range

Looked at 1080Ti prices recently? No one wants RMA20 series, but those who do are getting 100% pure gouging. Same with those thinking they'll 'save a few bucks' on a 1080Ti.

V64 at $400 with 3x games is great value in comparison lol.

I am looking to upgrade from my GTX 1070, to maybe a RTX 2080 ( not the bonfire Ti card )

But what the heck, the regular 2080's are frigging $800 ? Jesus. I thought they'd be like $599 max.

I've been buying video cards since the Voodoo card days 20 years ago, and forver it seems top end cards were in the $600 or so price range. And the 2070 type cards would be in the $500 or so range.

There are about 3 people on this forum who will swear to you the non existent rtx performance is top notch, and these cards are worth every penny.

Looked at 1080Ti prices recently? No one wants RMA20 series, but those who do are getting 100% pure gouging. Same with those thinking they'll 'save a few bucks' on a 1080Ti.

V64 at $400 with 3x games is great value in comparison lol.

Except for our little country. Computer lounge has a sale and the GTX 1080Ti Auros and the RTX 2080 are cheaper that you can buy a Vega 64. That's just crazy batshit insane.

Except for our little country. Computer lounge has a sale and the GTX 1080Ti Auros and the RTX 2080 are cheaper that you can buy a Vega 64. That's just crazy batshit insane.
Lol I had a laugh at V64 prices over the weekend. THey're all still 1300 NZD as if its a mining boom. I just bought one off NKD for $375 lol... about ~500NZD, which is a much, much more palatable price.
Good on CL though, been going to them since they started up in new market lol, probably put 30-50k through them over the years via friends,family builds, own business, referrals etc. Nice to have a computer store where I don't feel like a foreigner too :)
I think what happened there is they got caught pants down with high prices when the mining boom stopped. They now have given up and will probably write the stock off..
You in AKL?

Lol I had a laugh at V64 prices over the weekend. THey're all still 1300 NZD as if its a mining boom. I just bought one off NKD for $375 lol... about ~500NZD, which is a much, much more palatable price.
Good on CL though, been going to them since they started up in new market lol, probably put 30-50k through them over the years via friends,family builds, own business, referrals etc. Nice to have a computer store where I don't feel like a foreigner too :)
I think what happened there is they got caught pants down with high prices when the mining boom stopped. They now have given up and will probably write the stock off..
You in AKL?

Yeah mate, on the Shore.

Yeah mate, on the Shore.
Oh wicked! I'm out in westyland on the coast, probably 30 minutes away lol. Could do a LAN some time if you're keen.
Also bringing a decent chunk of DDR4 in, if you want some at cost you're welcome. TridentZ RGB Cl15 DDR4 3000, Hynix stuff, 2x8Gb, nothing too fancy but it's good and cheap ram. Also some 3600 CL19 non RGB for less. RGB was 134 on the egg + cost/shipping so should be under 160-180USD landed if you're keen. Goes over 350nzd here

There are about 3 people on this forum who will swear to you the non existent rtx performance is top notch, and these cards are worth every penny.

I’m here.

The die is 25% larger and the card more complicated than a 1080ti. About a 1/3 of the die is for amazing features that are not implemented in any game (DLSS) or one game half way (RT in BFV that tanks performance ~33-50%).

For me, in BFV at 3440x1440 ultra/rtx low I think it’s great and my fps drops from 60 fps to 60 fps (my monitor is only 60Hz) People with high Hz monitors are usually disappointed and generally pick high hz over rtx.

DLSS could make these cards worth it from a performance increase perspective but there’s a huge red flag since it’s MIA and it was originally pitched as a feature “easy to implement in a few days”.

So the price is basically for revolutionary new features most people don’t care about and may or may not be amazing.

Personally for me I feel better about the $499 RTX2070 or the RTX2080ti. At least the 2080ti is 45% faster than my 1080ti was in games (ignoring the new features we can barely use) since I have a target of 60Hz. Also needed the umph for VR. The 2080 feels at least $100 too much.

Last edited:

I'll bite, too...if you pull RTX out of the equation, they still outperform.

Are you saying you would rather buy a 1080 Ti today than an RTX 2080 - even if they were within $100 of eachother? For what? Edge cases that can use the extra 3GB of RAM? In that case, why are you even running a 1080 Ti when you can get a 2080 Ti for max 4K performance? Price? Sure...but you can sell your 1080 Ti for a good chunk of change and that 2080 Ti is now significantly easier to acquire.

I took advantage of the 1080 Ti market and sold my 1080 Ti for a high price and "sidegraded" to a 2080. No regrets.

What's the realistic price of a RTX 2080 then ? I had no idea they were in the $800 range
NVIDIA is still using the Founders Edition pricing structure, so that is what the AIBs are using despite the MSRP being lower. FE pricing on the 2080 is $799, while MSRP is $699. I've seen at least one 2080 Ti selling for the MSRP of $999, but I have yet to see a 2080 for less than the FE pricing of $799.

upload_2018-11-21_10-28-8.png

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080/

Smart money goes out and gets a 1080ti or one of the recent good sales on a V64. The former are under $600 if you look hard, the latter are hitting $400. Today specifically is a good day to buy on fleabay.

If you're looking to buy for the holidays you might want to get the 1080ti sooner rather than later as that supply will likely dry up soon, intentionally so.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Smart money goes out and gets a 1080ti or one of the recent good sales on a V64. The former are under $600 if you look hard, the latter are hitting $400. Today specifically is a good day to buy on fleabay.

If you're looking to buy for the holidays you might want to get the 1080ti sooner rather than later as that supply will likely dry up soon, intentionally so.
Would expect Vega to get more scarce in new market in coming months too at that price. Grabbed one.

So the GTX 1080 Ti had a suggest retail price of $699, and it being pretty old, but still solid performance, I would think should be even cheaper now, the 1080 Ti came out in Feb 2017 almost two years ago. But looking online this old card still sells for $900+ WTF? How's that even possible? MSRP is $699

Last edited:
You can get 2080s on eBay (US) right now for $650 after the holiday coupon.

2080ti is the fastest card available. It's not even remotely close to the value for the performance given. New features are neat if they ever get implemented in a useful way.

Is the 2080 Ti being discontinued, due to all the overheating and malfunctioning cards ?

2080ti is the fastest card available. It's not even remotely close to the value for the performance given. New features are neat if they ever get implemented in a useful way.

Value isn't a constant. Everyone has their own value judgement. Thanks for giving us your judgement of value.

Not sure if serious or troll...

Serious. I keep reading about the 2080 ti cards failing on people, it's not just .01% of cards, it's sounding like a major issue.

And these cards need big time fans and cooling in the case otherwise they get hot very quick while gaming

They will fix it. They sure fucked this up though. What's sad is they didn't have to drop this card when they did. They could have waited for RTX software support to be more readily available. They rushed it and it bit that ass.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it.

I’m here.

The die is 25% larger and the card more complicated than a 1080ti. About a 1/3 of the die is for amazing features that are not implemented in any game (DLSS) or one game half way (RT in BFV that tanks performance ~33-50%).

For me, in BFV at 3440x1440 ultra/rtx low I think it’s great and my fps drops from 60 fps to 60 fps (my monitor is only 60Hz) People with high Hz monitors are usually disappointed and generally pick high hz over rtx.

DLSS could make these cards worth it from a performance increase perspective but there’s a huge red flag since it’s MIA and it was originally pitched as a feature “easy to implement in a few days”.

So the price is basically for revolutionary new features most people don’t care about and may or may not be amazing.

Personally for me I feel better about the $499 RTX2070 or the RTX2080ti. At least the 2080ti is 45% faster than my 1080ti was in games (ignoring the new features we can barely use) since I have a target of 60Hz. Also needed the umph for VR. The 2080 feels at least $100 too much.
If you factor in all the documented failures and refunds Nvidia is authorizing by the troves, something doesn’t compute with this launch.

But I am glad you feel like you’re not taking a risk by keeping the card, and you are enjoying it. If they made thousands of these cards I’m guessing a few should work as advertised.

Personally I won’t buy a product until it’s features are proven and popular.

VR? 3D tv’s? Physx? Hairworks? I dodged those bullets.

I’d be very interested if Nvidia fixed whatever major issue is going on, they removed the rtx “feature”, sold it purely as a rasterized card at half the price.

Value isn't a constant. Everyone has their own value judgement. Thanks for giving us your judgement of value.

Come on now. The retail of the 780Ti and 1080Ti FE was $700 and the retail of the 2080Ti FE is $1200. I'm pretty sure there's a good basis to judge value there in light of performance gains generation to generation.

Come on now. The retail of the 780Ti and 1080Ti FE was $700 and the retail of the 2080Ti FE is $1200. I'm pretty sure there's a good basis to judge value there in light of performance gains generation to generation.

For you. I'll take a new card and 30% more performance for a few hundred bucks (I sell my old cards).

They're halo cards, value doesn't need to apply for everyone.

For you. I'll take a new card and 30% more performance for a few hundred bucks (I sell my old cards).

They're halo cards, value doesn't need to apply for everyone.

Ok then, how about a non-"halo" card. The 770 launched at $399, the 970 at $329, the 1070 at $379 and the 2070 at $599 for a Founders Edition. You used to get 30% performance for the same relative price. Now you pay $200 extra for that 30%. So it's not like people don't have an argument about value.

Nvidia can charge whatever they want, but there's always going to be a sizable group that doesn't feel like spending 70% more money (2080Ti case) for no good reason.

cause nv is as high as a kite? you can get a vega 64 for 300ish on this long weekend and i would look into it as the rtx features are worthless

Also, RTX is dead on arrival. You guys don't need to consider it for at least the 2nd or possibly 3rd generation. I would focus on the 1080 Ti and try and keep your rez around 1440p if you want to game at 120hz with high settings.

it's a result of Nvidia having no competition in the high end market. Until AMD can put some pressure on them Nvidia will continue to charge what they want.

I got my 1080 just about a year ago for $660 (cdn) and I'm going to stick with it for a while.

Back